PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ^ 4.23 am?!

I had a trip to WF :o in the interests of different chocolate bar testing, I got an organic vegan gluten free fairtrade choc whole hazelnut bar called Vego - bit of a whopper size so hope it's nice... Got more carrot cake, bean salads, fruit, sourdough, nuts.. going to have a few days of non-freezer-eating :D
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Out: 3 pieces of cheese, gooseberries and strawberries, chicken stock. In: 6 helpings of bolognese, 4 helpings of sausage casserole. The freezers are now full to bursting I must stop shopping and star eating so I am back on here to track my freezer content down.
  • Older_But_Not_Wiser
    Older_But_Not_Wiser Posts: 246 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2014 at 4:20PM
    Kirri wrote: »
    ^ 4.23 am?!

I had a trip to WF :o in the interests of different chocolate bar testing, I got an organic vegan gluten free fairtrade choc whole hazelnut bar called Vego - bit of a whopper size so hope it's nice... Got more carrot cake, bean salads, fruit, sourdough, nuts.. going to have a few days of non-freezer-eating :D

Yep, sleep pattern goes to pot every now and again but I don't worry about it, it always sorts itself out in a couple of days and it means I'm awake longer so can get loads done!

I'll look forward to your critique of the choccie Kirri so I know whether to add that one to the list to try :D My verdict on the Montezuma Apple Crumble was that it was oddly tasteless and I'd have been miffed if I'd paid for it. The Montezuma Chilli and Lime, on the other hand, was delicious and I'd have happily paid for that.

I did a mini-shop today, intending to top-up the salad stuff and find some nut butter but being as suggestible as I am, I ended up getting some bulgar wheat too because MsNR mentioned it :rotfl:. I'm going to try it tonight or tomorrow with some sweetcorn, chicken and pesto mixed through. I couldn't find the giant stuff but I think the normal stuff will be nice too.

I found some smooth cashew nut butter in Holland & Barrett and although I liked it, I'd have preferred a coarser texture so I'll have to wait until I pass a Wholefoods store to get some.

So, lunch was egg mayo on pumpkin bread (eggs needed to be used up) and supper will probably be the bulgar wheat with chicken etc. While I was out a pack of L*dl Snickers-type bars @ £1.09 for 5 jumped into my shopping basket too and I couldn't be so mean as to put them back so I've brought them home :D
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I'll look forward to your critique of the choccie Kirri so I know whether to add that one to the list to try :D My verdict on the Montezuma Apple Crumble was that it was oddly tasteless and I'd have been miffed if I'd paid for it. The Montezuma Chilli and Lime, on the other hand, was delicious and I'd have happily paid for that.

I did a mini-shop today, intending to top-up the salad stuff and find some nut butter but being as suggestible as I am, I ended up getting some bulgar wheat too because MsNR mentioned it :rotfl:.

I found some smooth cashew nut butter in Holland & Barrett and although I liked it, I'd have preferred a coarser texture so I'll have to wait until I pass a Wholefoods store to get some.

Vego is nice! Very good for a vegan bar, not quite as good as a dairy bar but maybe that was because I knew it was vegan.. (just that most vegan choc isn't v nice) and if I didn't know it was I might not have even known, really good chunky bar, will def buy again, so chunky that I managed to just eat the first chunk and not the whole bar! I will try the Montezuma chilli & lime as despite a review on Ocado saying it was like washing up liquid, it's the one I like the look of the most. Will add to next Ocado order.

I often end up fancying things I've seen on the thread :D Might do some bulgar myself as have some in the cupboard, got some free parsley & mint to go in it. Saw a greek salad bulgar recipe I might try as I have some feta to use up tomorrow. (Does feta freeze ok? as there's no way I can eat the whole block in the time they state)

I nearly took a pic of the nut butter machine/display in WF yesterday to tempt you, Older, but thought everyone would look at me in store! I did check and all the fresh made peanut butters already weighed up were priced around £1. (Though I'd recommend the cashew more so :D )

Snacking here today - usual breakfast, then used up the last of the WF bean salad in a pitta with feta I opened Fri and some WF falafels and some Waitrose babyleaf salad. Followed by the other half of the carrot cake slice from WF and some salted peanuts from WF and a nectarine & the chunk of Vego... Next will eat some of the WF ready cut pineapple - probably just snack on fruit the rest of the day as I over-ate a bit yesterday while out and been eating haphazardly today..
  • ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Lol older, going to look in hb for cashew butter, never thought to try there.

My bulgar wheat turned out great last night, used hm chicken stock and then at the end added chopped asparagus and corn, oh I also added some of that 10p chilli tomato puree from Mr s, with grilled chicken in top, having the rest for dinner tonight.

Bought a brown organic loaf today, it was reduced, but so were the normal ones. Had a cheese sandwich and crisps for lunch, rest of a fruit smoothie for brekkie.

Gonna make burritos this week, can't wait! I'm going to make double the amount of tortillas this time, if I add chilli tomato puree will that work as a sort of flavoured tortilla? Gonna have to research this a bit lol.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • My bulgar wheat turned out OK too, cooked it in chicken stock and topped it with a chicken, sweetcorn, red pepper and pesto mix then scattered a few chopped spring onions on top - the onions were a mistake as they were ferociously oniony, don't know what's up with that!

MsNR your burritos sound wonderful, I need a picture though or I won't know what they are supposed to look like when I try to make them LOL :)
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0775_zps0d73987a.jpg
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,865
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've not posted since February and I am beginning this challenge again.

My house guests who arrived in February have now moved out and I can now continue to reduce my food stocks. I only have a few items in my food cupboards that are past their best before dates.

I've crispbreads that I thought would be useful for a snack but they seem to last forever so I'm not going to buy bread again until I've eaten them, and the crisp rolls in the cupboard, and the bread and rolls in the freezer. I've also got some bread flour so after the cupboard items and the frozen bakery items have gone I shall make some bread.

I'm on holiday in a month so I want to go back to just buying fresh veg, fruit and milk.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Evening all :)

Had a friend over for dinner at the start of the week so I made a chilli and then ate the leftovers for the next couple of days
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0779_zpsc3f7a498.jpg

Tonight I made the Jack Monroe pasta with salmon paste for the first time. In fact it is the first time I have made any of her recipes and it was absolutely delicious, really enjoyed it so I think that will become a regular feature in my diet.
    [IMG][/img]IMG_0780_zpsc5f38936.jpg

Planning on a seafood/tomato sauce stew to have with some of the remaining bulgar wheat tomorrow as I've got another visitor for dinner and it should be quick and easy to make. Will be adding a squeeze of my bargain 10p tomato & chilli puree which MsNR alerted me to in one of her posts (thanks MsNR:D)

Hope you're all OK
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,047
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Super pics OBNW!

Where is Flo?
  • ^ ^ ^ haven't seen a post from MrsF for ages so I hope she is OK (am a bit worried about her, not like her to be so quiet :()

Not done much cooking as I've been lucky enough to be eating out a lot. Went to a birthday party on Saturday and caterers had prepared Vietnamese food (spring rolls, ribs, baked fish etc with wonderful dips and sauces) which was delicious and made me want to find out how to make food that good. Once I've eaten my way through the food I have in already, I'll look up some Vietnamese recipes.

My main meal today was sweetcorn fritters with salsa as I'm trying to use up the bag of sweetcorn in my fridge ice-box. Frozen food only keeps for about a week and I don't have a proper freezer to transfer it to so I'll need to think of something else to do with the rest.

[IMG][/img]IMG_0786_zps4f88554a.jpg

I've also made a big bowl of tomato sauce to use in a fish stew tomorrow. I'd planned to make it last week when I had a friend over but we went out to eat instead (always safest thing to do if I offer to cook :rotfl:).

Hope you're all well
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure