Good quality/durable USB cables

rubble2
rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Anybody got any recommendation for good quality USB charging cables (USB A to micro) please?

I have bought (relatively) expensive cables in the past, and also ones from the pound shop and to be honest it seems that no matter how much or little you pay the lifespan is pretty random.
Most seem to last anything from a few weeks to a few months, Are there any brands I should go for that have a better than average survival rate?

I do not expose them to any particular hardship, in fact they hardly get touched apart from plugging in and out of the device to be charged but I have yet to find one that lasts.

Thanks

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Why not just buy 5 from the pound shop ?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anker is a good make.

I bought an Amazon basics one which didnt last long, opened the casing and a cable needs resoldering hence why it stopped working.

How are you disconnectjng the cable from the device, I presume your not pulling the cable but pulling the piece of plastic.
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Why not just buy 5 from the pound shop ?

That would be my approach
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Anker is a good make.

I bought an Amazon basics one which didnt last long, opened the casing and a cable needs resoldering hence why it stopped working.

How are you disconnectjng the cable from the device, I presume your not pulling the cable but pulling the piece of plastic.

This video seems to reflect that but the reviews on Amazon show that some of their chargers caught fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbJD54XsZmM
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    I've started using braided cables, bought from China at around 60p each. They seem to have a very low voltage drop (relevant if you understand how phones/tablets control their charge current) and charge all my stuff at full speed.

Only problem is they're quite inflexible, the cable is supposed to be sacrificial part. If you trip on the lead, or catch it on something, it should break before your phone does, but these braided cables would happily rip your phone apart under those circumstance..
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    around 2014 i bought 3x https://www.amazon.co.uk/JuicEBitz-Charger-Android-Tablets-BlackBerry/dp/B010XWJBRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495190149&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+cables+2m+JuicEBitz

These cables have thicker wire, so charge the mobile somewhat quicker. the one i use at home gets used daily, the one i have at work gets used 5/7 days, and the one in the car used not that much. they still all click into place at the phone end and all work.

which ever one you buy, make sure it has thicker copper wires, rather than thinner ones. Yes, quality cables do make a difference, the problem is when you cant see the quality, and end up paying £ for nothing
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Aukey, Anker are both good if you get genuine ones. I am also quite impressed with JuiceBank Premium range http://www.properjob.biz/Charger_Cable_Premium_1m_Usb-M4279 ones - they're braided and quite stiff - but that's a good sign of having thicker conductor cables. I've had no problems using them with QuickCharge 3.0 devices, whereas some cheapo cables have too little conductor to cope. And available in boring black, poncey white, ouchthatsvery turquoise and woweeenowthatswhaticall pink ;-)
  • jshm2
    jshm2 Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just like HDMI cables there is little difference between the cheapest and most expensive when it comes to home use.

Sure you can buy over engineered if you like, but there is no guarantee how long a cable will last.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've bought Belkin, and been very happy with the results, but I also routinely buy from pound shops & bin as soon as they start getting erratic. Also eBay do mindbending cheap but again, bin as soon as they start giving uncertainty.
    Better to have a box of brand new good to go cables than all your hopes on one that decides to go wibble...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure