Money Moral Dilemma: Should I sell student discount laptops?

Options
124»

Comments

• cuba2008
    cuba2008 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Teacher 2 hit the nail on the head for me. The OP may think he/she is being clever and others commenting may feel the same. However the fact remains that this scheme is actually being funded by tax payers - therefore we are actually paying the OP to take from us and sell to someone else before keeping any profits. The OP is also trading on ebay as a company, rather than a private individual if the original post is anything to go by, and should advise ebay before informing the tax man of the profits being made. There is obviously a glitch in the system that is allowing the OP to make multiple purchases but that doesn't make it right, morally or possibly even legally. Given the fact that there is very likely going to be problems regarding any warranties issued and I would suggest the OP thinks about perhaps getting a job as a way to make money.
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    [There is something contradictory in your enthusiastic support for market forces and your hostility to the present government which is not, by the way, unelected.

I am all for students making money for themselves, they always have, usually by using some of their spare time to work in bars, etc but not if they are making money at my expense as a taxpayer, since it is taxpayers who fund the discounted laptops. I am surprised that there is no central record of how many laptops have been purchased by each student and a limit put on the number they can have. Perhaps the simplest solution would be to stop this subsidy altogether?

QUOTE=happyinflorida;65277425]As long as the warranty can be passed onto someone else legally then I think it's fine and well done you.

As you're a student and this current unelected government are now making students indebted, probably for the rest of their lives, do this and whatever else you can to get some money back as you're having to pay for your education that the scum that are now ruling over us got for free.

As for paying tax, why should you. Cameron's father and grand father didn't pay any tax - so until this corrupt so and so pays up, don't pay.[/QUOTE]
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Carry on, when I went to buy a new macbook I met a student outside and paid them £20 to buy the Mac for me.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    While I am all in favour of hard up students earning some extra cash to help meet the extortionate fees they have to pay and go into debt for but ...

by buying and re-selling these laptops on ebay you are leaving your customers exposed to lack of warranty and you are risking the wrath of ebay (and whatever repercussions the Tax Office my deem appropriate) because you are acting as a business and need to register that fact with them both. As a retailer you are also the first port of call for disgruntled customers - could you cope with that?

As a favour to family and friends maybe you would get away with it as these 'customers' have direct access to you - and there would be some room for negotiation as to how to sort any problems out but all in all I would say it is not worth the risk and you should quit while you are ahead.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are not breaking the terms of the discount and you pay tax on your business you are doing nothing wrong.

Of course if the computer supplier notices that you are buying too many they may ban you from future purchases or even withdraw the offer completely.

My impression, however, is that you are looking for some kind of endorsement of the enterprise you are showing. But my view is that the firm probably have a trigger of x items a year and when you exceed it they will probably set their lawyers on to you.......:) Similarly HMRC probably have a trigger too......
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    Your friend is right,you are abusing the student discount system and i think you know it.As for the warranty i think you may find it's only valid for the original purchaser,to transfer that will cost someone money.There are some interesting points on here about paying tax as your running a business.Sooner or later you will be found out and have to pay the consequencies,so i have a solution for you.Get a job,don't say that you can't find one.
  • Moneygonewhere?
    Options
    Tell your friend to go get a life!:cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Once you've bought and paid for something. You can do what you like with it , even sell it at a profit. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure