Requesting Settlement figure with PRA Group

Comments

• shaun196809
    shaun196809 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Just as an update I sent two letters to PRA Group and Capital One. PRA Group have responded returning the £1 postal order and as a "gesture of goodwill", will not charge me!! They are now seeking the original documents and said this could take longer than 12 days.

Capital One have sent me the original credit agreement and a reminder of the consequences if I don't continue payments as it is enforceable.

Any suggestions on my next move with Capital One? Debt is £13.5k.

Thanks in advance.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 10 May 2017 at 7:22AM
    I think continue with the dmp payments and continue to nag them for a settlement.

I notice a poster called Whambam that I often link to said he got settlements with Capital One at 52 and 58%
  • Twins
    Twins Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just as an update I sent two letters to PRA Group and Capital One. PRA Group have responded returning the £1 postal order and as a "gesture of goodwill", will not charge me!! They are now seeking the original documents and said this could take longer than 12 days.

Capital One have sent me the original credit agreement and a reminder of the consequences if I don't continue payments as it is enforceable.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Shaun, just thought I'd let you know that I'm in the same boat as you with PRA group. I wrote to them asking for a copy of my CCA's (I have 2 accounts with them) and they returned the cheques saying they would send them as a gesture of goodwill. Turns out they couldn't find either one of my agreements.
    I've since written to them offering a F&F of 10% on one of the accounts and am waiting to hear back. I've also decided to self manage my DMP so that I can control how much I pay to all my creditors so am in the process of setting that up.

Good luck! Do let me know how you get on :)
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

Thanks in advance.

How old is the Capital One agreement? PRA sent us copies of all documents/agreements/T&Cs/statements - even had our signature. However, on further investigation it was unenforceable and we were able to settle for 10%. Our agreement was early 2000s and it was the T&Cs that made it unenforceable.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • shaun196809
    Twins wrote: »
    Hi Shaun, just thought I'd let you know that I'm in the same boat as you with PRA group. I wrote to them asking for a copy of my CCA's (I have 2 accounts with them) and they returned the cheques saying they would send them as a gesture of goodwill. Turns out they couldn't find either one of my agreements.
    I've since written to them offering a F&F of 10% on one of the accounts and am waiting to hear back. I've also decided to self manage my DMP so that I can control how much I pay to all my creditors so am in the process of setting that up.

Good luck! Do let me know how you get on :)

Hi, thanks for responding and always nice to hear I'm not the only one out there!

Do let me know when PRA have responded - would be nice to know if they actually take 10%.

I too have thought about stopping my DMP as I only have three creditors left (did have six). I think I'll wait and see what happens over the coming month and then make a decision. Not sure if it will be easier to negotiate a smaller F and F with each creditor.

Incidentally - how long did it take PRA to state that they couldn't find the original credit files?

Thanks Shaun
  • shaun196809
    How old is the Capital One agreement? PRA sent us copies of all documents/agreements/T&Cs/statements - even had our signature. However, on further investigation it was unenforceable and we were able to settle for 10%. Our agreement was early 2000s and it was the T&Cs that made it unenforceable.

Hi, the Capital One agreement was signed in December 2005. How did you establish that the agreement was unenforceable? Did you get a claims management company to review?

Thanks for responding to my post - very helpful. Shaun
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, the Capital One agreement was signed in December 2005. How did you establish that the agreement was unenforceable? Did you get a claims management company to review?

Thanks for responding to my post - very helpful. Shaun

Hi Shaun
    I've sent you a PM :beer:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Twins
    Twins Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, thanks for responding and always nice to hear I'm not the only one out there!

Do let me know when PRA have responded - would be nice to know if they actually take 10%.

I too have thought about stopping my DMP as I only have three creditors left (did have six). I think I'll wait and see what happens over the coming month and then make a decision. Not sure if it will be easier to negotiate a smaller F and F with each creditor.

Incidentally - how long did it take PRA to state that they couldn't find the original credit files?

Thanks Shaun

Hi Shaun, one of the letters came back within about 3 weeks and the second took a bit longer around 4 weeks. I think the longer they take indicates that they are finding it difficult to locate, just my thinking anyway. I'm still waiting on 2 other creditors to respond on the CCA request so fingers crossed they are unenforceable too!
  • shaun196809
    That's positive news - I've been waiting for about three weeks now and no update from PRA!!

Fingers crossed here too! :-)
  • shaun196809
    Hi,

So I've had a response from PRA who are saying the debt is unenforceable until they seek further documentation.

So is now the time to go and negotiate a 10% F and F? Did you call or write a letter?

Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport