Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• Girlzmum
    Girlzmum Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just wondering if anyone can help. I'm looking into travelling to USA with husband and 2 children, aged 9 and 7. My problem is that I'll be approx 21 weeks pregnant when I fly out and I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Now I've been googling for travel insurance during pregnancy and even when I go through the pages specifically covering travelling while pregnant on price comparison sites I get put through to a generic page that doesn't actually quote for pregnancy, never mind being able to put in anything about the diabetes. The sites do say that I can put in my medical details later in the process but I've tried and it just asks for my money!

Please help!
    Norn Iron Club member 273:beer:
  • Girlzmum wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can help. I'm looking into travelling to USA with husband and 2 children, aged 9 and 7. My problem is that I'll be approx 21 weeks pregnant when I fly out and I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Now I've been googling for travel insurance during pregnancy and even when I go through the pages specifically covering travelling while pregnant on price comparison sites I get put through to a generic page that doesn't actually quote for pregnancy, never mind being able to put in anything about the diabetes. The sites do say that I can put in my medical details later in the process but I've tried and it just asks for my money!

Please help!

Try LV, they were the only company that would cover all our pre-existing ailments, without charging a fortune, I even added some later that I had forgotton about and no extra charge. We took out annual cover for skiing in Europe then a holiday in USA.
    abolish call centres now!
  • Addams
    Addams Posts: 881 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi all
    I have a question.
    We have got two holidays booked this year, so I thought I would get annual insurance. The only problem is one of them is a cruise and I'm not sure if all the policies cover cruises or not. Any suggestions of who is the best and cheapest to use in this case? Or would it be better to get two single policies?
    May - £251.63/£155, June - £108.69/£150, July - £157.45/£155, Aug - £104.28/£155
    Sept - £110.80/£150, Make £5 a day in Oct challenge = £50.50/£155
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Addams wrote: »
    Hi all
    I have a question.
    We have got two holidays booked this year, so I thought I would get annual insurance. The only problem is one of them is a cruise and I'm not sure if all the policies cover cruises or not. Any suggestions of who is the best and cheapest to use in this case? Or would it be better to get two single policies?

Can't see why you'd need a special policy for a cruise. I've never bothered. You do need to go through the wording of the policy to check there are no exclusions relating to cruises though.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Most decent policies cover cruises. However check the policy wording or call the company to check. I got a quote online last week and cruise cover was at additional cost.
  • Over 65's. Have been scouting around for reasonable low cost Annual European Travel insurance. Stupid bank and household insurance, which used to be free, will not cover us now we are over 65 - one day you're covered - next you're not - bloody silly. I am type 2 diabetic, wife has slight COPD. Best quote was £128 per annum for both of us for European Annual cover from Direct Line, excluding those two ailments. Anyone got anything better to offer?
  • anuska_csb wrote: »
    Hi, am new to this posting game! Am looking for reasonably priced travel insurance for pre-existing medical conditions. My son has had benign brain tumour and is asthmatic. Can anyone help with a good priced company?
    thanks, Anuska

I used to use Travelbility who I always found to be quite reasonable considering the usual high costs of this type of insurance. (I have a very complex medical condition)But this shot up after I'd had a short stay in hospital in Turkey for an infected bite.

Last year my wife and I opened a current account with Nationwide, and although they couldn't cover me with their usual policy cover, they me gave the number for their underwriters who were really helpful.

I completed a questionnaire over the phone and they quoted us for a week in Lanzarote for £90. I said great - very cheap for a single trip, but was really amazed when they said that was for an unlimited ANNUAL policy anywhere in the world!

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Martin I just wanted to say a huge thanks for your moneysaving tips as not only was your post to cheapest travel insurance the first to come up when I googled it but your very easy new format made me realise that I already HAD annual travel insurance through my Nationwide Flex account and didn't even realise!
    Thanks and keep up the good work! Normal comparison sites have nothing on the very human and ever reliable MoneySavingExpert :-)
  • mcphail
    mcphail Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello, I wonder if anyone could help me please. My 17 year old daughter is going away with her friends for 2 weeks in the Summer to Tenerife. I've just looked up our family travel insurance, and found out that she is not covered unless she travels with a relative, guardian or person with a legal duty of care. So, i need to purchase travel insurance for her - but a lot of the sites I have looked up, you need to be 18! She is still at school ( well, will have left by the time she goes on holiday), but not a Student until the Universities start, so not sure if I can try any Student sites. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks :)
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Try the Post Office.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills