Super Balance Transfers discussion area

Comments

• WARNING!!!

I followed the Super Balance Transfer example (MSE article), using the Virgin Money credit card to transfer £12000 to my bank account (instead of using a loan).

They charged the 4% on the Money Transfer as described, but also charge interest on Money Transfers :-(

I didn't spot this in the Key Facts or Terms & Conditions and have ended up paying over £1000 in interest :-((

I know it is my own fault for not reviewing the T&Cs, but the MSE articles are usually so well written I guess it made me lazy.

Looking to transfer to a regular loan or Balance Transfer
  • I currently have a £2000 overdraft on a lloyds tsb current account. Due to bank charges, i cant seem to get out of it. Is there anything i can do, loan? transfer? etc HELP
  • OK..

So in summary, I am in the process of trying to codify all my debt..

I have tranfered an egg card and natwest card to a new barclaycard which is great.

However, I have a bank loan and overdraft I also want to pay onto the barclaycard.

I've just stumbled across a potential way of achieving this without a balance transfer..

I paid more money into my natwest credit card by accident, and when I called them, they were about 1300 quid in credit..I asked to do a balance transfer between them and the egg card at the 0% promotion they just offered me..and they said there was no need - as the account was in credit - it was a straight payment with no 2.x% fee!

Now i'm just wondering how to pay the overdraft and bank loan - I need to check but it appears that I might be able to do another balance transfer to the natwest account from the barclaycard even the the natwest is at £0..is it will end up in £3000 credit - then I can simply make a cash transfer to my bank account for no fee.

Please please before I do this - can an expert on here sanity check this situation? Else I will have to rapidly apply for a virgin card just so i can get cash into my account and pay off the loans..its going to get very convoluted tho.

Many thanks
  • I currently already have an MBNA and Virgin credit card. (the best two for super balance transfers) I would like to get a third credit card but only one that would do a super balance transfer (pass money directly into my bank account on a 0% offer). Does anyone know which other cards are out there that do these deals, the egg card is no longer a possibility?

huge thanks
  • Re being in credit on a card as a result of having made a BT to that card if it is an Egg or one of the MBNA family cards can this just be paid straight into your bank account with no fees? I seem to recall having done this in the past is it still possible?
  • Hello,

I'm a bit confused.com regarding SBT's? Are they still about?

I have £3000 still owed on a car finance deal is on 10.3% APR.

I'd like to transfer £3000 from a SBT card at 0% to my current account and use this to pay off the finance. I am in a position to overpay the minimum repayments and would therefore pay it of in around 12-15 months.

Can someone dumb it down for me.

My current thinking is £3000 with 4% fee would be £3120. So receive £3000 into my account but I owe £3120. Then its a case of paying this off every month?

Simple as that?

I have a good credit rating and currently own no credit cards (and never have)

Thanks in advance.:T
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    rmorriso wrote: »
    WARNING!!!

I followed the Super Balance Transfer example (MSE article), using the Virgin Money credit card to transfer £12000 to my bank account (instead of using a loan).

They charged the 4% on the Money Transfer as described, but also charge interest on Money Transfers :-(

I didn't spot this in the Key Facts or Terms & Conditions and have ended up paying over £1000 in interest :-((

I know it is my own fault for not reviewing the T&Cs, but the MSE articles are usually so well written I guess it made me lazy.

Looking to transfer to a regular loan or Balance Transfer

only 1 post by op, but i don't understand how interest can be charged on money transfers unless it was after their 60 day period? anyone verify this?

http://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/credit-cards-v7/popup/summary.jsp
  • TC1
    TC1 Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello,

I'm a bit confused.com regarding SBT's? Are they still about?

I have £3000 still owed on a car finance deal is on 10.3% APR.

I'd like to transfer £3000 from a SBT card at 0% to my current account and use this to pay off the finance. I am in a position to overpay the minimum repayments and would therefore pay it of in around 12-15 months.

Can someone dumb it down for me.

My current thinking is £3000 with 4% fee would be £3120. So receive £3000 into my account but I owe £3120. Then its a case of paying this off every month?

Simple as that?

I have a good credit rating and currently own no credit cards (and never have)

Thanks in advance.:T

Have a look at the M & S Credit card.

I bought M & S sterling travellers checks for a 1% fee using the card. Paid these into my current account and then paid of other debts. Now have 15 months at 0% APR.

Not quite a SBT but another way of getting some cheaper credit.

:T
  • deutsch wrote: »
    only 1 post by op, but i don't understand how interest can be charged on money transfers unless it was after their 60 day period? anyone verify this?

Hi,

Yes, it was my only post - I'm an MSE lurker, but thought I would notify folks about my experiences.

My money transfer was within the 60 day period, and contrary to my original post, the T&Cs do not charge interest on the transfer.

However, I was charged interest from the first month, and for every subsequent one.

In the third month I was also charged a "Late Default Sum", which should be impossible because I elected to overpay the Minimum Payment by Direct Debit at the start of each month!

On investigation, they took the Direct Debit twice in the second month, and then of course there was no payment in the third.

I have been so busy lately that I haven't pursued them for this overpaid interest. Your note, is a timely reminder to do so. I will let you know how I get on with getting my money back.

A couple of months ago I paid off this debt using a Barclarycard deal. I have opted for paper statements and manually set up the overpayment transfer each month to avoid this pitfall in the future.

Regards,

R.
  • stayinganonymous
    stayinganonymous Posts: 76 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2011 at 6:23PM
    I have just applied and have been accepted for the Virgin Balance Transfer Credit Card (0% for 20 months on both BT's and money transfers. I applied because I currently still owe about £2600 (that's including interest I will owe if I do not repay early) on a Barclay loan, which is about 22% APR! I will save quite a bit of money by paying this off via a money transfer with the Virgin credit card.
    rmorriso wrote: »
    Hi,
    However, I was charged interest from the first month, and for every subsequent one.

I have been through something very similar, with both my MBNA and Post Office credit card. I have been randomly charged interest when my balances on BOTH cards are all 0% balance transfers (I haven't bought anything on them). I phoned both of them up to dispute this and they have always refunded me and sorted the problem out. I have no idea why it happened and got very annoyed that it had happened when it shouldn't have, but they did sort it.

I see you haven't posted recently, I was just wondering how you got on with this issue?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback