ID Verification

2»

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have not moved in 20+ years and, as far as I know, have not changed my date of birth!

But has someone submitted an application using the wrong date of birth in that time?

I cannot recall a DOB error resulting in a fail. Its usually just a notification point rather than a failure point.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    dunstonh wrote: »
    But has someone submitted an application using the wrong date of birth in that time?

I cannot recall a DOB error resulting in a fail. Its usually just a notification point rather than a failure point.

There are various other searches showing since April which presumably were OK as I haven't been refused anything else.
    The only other flag they mentioned was "political" which they say would show if I was something in politics which I most defiantly am not. This does not show at all on my credit report.

I shall remain confused as if I can't see any error, I can't moan to anyone about it. :(
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • Money laundering rules were tightened up hugely in July this year. Any firm dealing with incoming or outgoing money needs to be a lot more stringent with the checks they do to verify where that money came from & where it's going to. All the banks & finance companies have interpreted their own way of staying compliant. So you may have flown through the checks June & then failed the ones in July. Get used to it, it's here to stay...
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    ctdctd wrote: »
    The only other flag they mentioned was "political" which they say would show if I was something in politics which I most defiantly am not.

It would also show if you have the same name as someone who is in politics. Which quite a lot of people do.

Depending on what databases they use, having the same name as the husband of the Jamaican ambassador to Turkmenistan can be enough to trigger a flag against the "Politically Exposed Person" line which a member of staff then has to manually check and discount.
  • I sympathise with the OP. I've already closed one 20-year old bank account because the bank suddenly decided they didn't "know me".
    These "stringent checks" appear utterly insane to me. 100% of the population being put through the mill when only 1% present a problem in terms of doing 'naughty things' with money? Why not target those who are of interest and go after them?
    I can easily foresee a time when I'll be stashing cash under the mattress because it's just too difficult and time consuming to open a bank account. Or maybe I should just move to a so-called 'tax haven'.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    cameronag wrote: »
    These "stringent checks" appear utterly insane to me. 100% of the population being put through the mill when only 1% present a problem in terms of doing 'naughty things' with money? Why not target those who are of interest and go after them?

They are. Checks will help identify "these" people. Your bank doesn't know who you are.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I sympathise with the OP. I've already closed one 20-year old bank account because the bank suddenly decided they didn't "know me".

That is highly unlikely to be the case. it is more likely that you triggered a transaction that required a check and they had nothing up to date that they could use.
    These "stringent checks" appear utterly insane to me. 100% of the population being put through the mill when only 1% present a problem in terms of doing 'naughty things' with money?

1%? You are way off the mark. Benefit fraud, financial fraud and money laundering accounts for more than 1%.
    Why not target those who are of interest and go after them?

And guess what one of the best measures is for avoiding issues and finding out? Getting the ID.
    I can easily foresee a time when I'll be stashing cash under the mattress because it's just too difficult and time consuming to open a bank account. Or maybe I should just move to a so-called 'tax haven'.

Maybe that is why you trigged a check.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure