Whose printer cartridges are cheapest?

Comments

• KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Frankly, I rarely print anything other than wordprocessing. When I DO print a webpage, the colour content is almost always unnecessary.

Does this mean I could just fit the one black ink cartridge to the D92?

there should be a setting on the printer setup page just before you print allowing you to print color images in black only thus saving your color ink
  • seilbahn
    seilbahn Posts: 52 Forumite
    Frankly, I rarely print anything other than wordprocessing. When I DO print a webpage, the colour content is almost always unnecessary.

Does this mean I could just fit the one black ink cartridge to the D92?

Be warned, some printers, notably Epson won't print if one of the colour cartridges is empty, not even in B&W. I don't know if this applies to the D92

If you rarely print colour, perhaps you should be looking at a mono laser printer.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you are going to do a lot of printing, I would definitely avoid Lexmark and HP. The reason is that the printhead on these machines is on the print cartridge, meaning there are no compatible inks available. Those which are are actually refilled cartridges, and the price saving between the genuine and compatible is not great because they need genuine original cartridges to make them with.

If you buy and Epson or a Canon you will find much cheaper inks available. Avoid any Canon printer that uses a combined cartridge such as PG-40 or CL-41. You want one with 4 or more cartridges as that way when a particular colour runs out you only have to replace that one, not throw away a combined cartridge with loads of in still in it.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    seilbahn wrote: »
    If you rarely print colour, perhaps you should be looking at a mono laser printer.

I would second that. You can buy a mono laser for about £45 nowadays. I bought a Samsung one about a year ago, and it has only just run out of toner. A replacemnent toner cartridge may set you back more than the printer, but they are very easy to refill. A refill toner cost me £15 and I only used about a third of it to refill the cartridge, so a good investment I reckon.
  • rosekitten
    rosekitten Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    my epson 890 wont run without
    any colour ink in it,but you can set
    it to print in black ink,so long as there
    is a colour cartridge in the printer with
    some ink in it,I mostly only ever print
    in black ink so seldom have to buy
    colour ink.Did notice in Staples that
    the older the printer the cheaper the
    ink as I have had mine about six years
    cant wait for mine to be classed as an
    older model noticed in Staples it was
    £16.59 its coming down as in the past
    its been around £24.99
    :j:j:j
  • Whose printer cartridges are cheapest?
    I get my ink cartridges for my Epson 670 from rubberfrog. currently 10 black @£14.80. 7 colour @£16.66 all including shipping. and fast delivery.
    I have always found them to be excellent in my printer and get really good results.
  • pennee1981
    pennee1981 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Hi. I was very happy with my printer - until yesterday when it ran out of colour ink. Feeling a bit let down by PC World. Dropped by Cartridge World today to be told in no uncertain terms that Lexmark were ripping people off with newer printers, as they are in a deal with the retailer to supply black (no 4) and colour (no 5) cartridges. Also, they don't have as much ink in them - less ink, same price. They are single use only. Just read this: http://www.inksave.co.uk/lexmark-dell-info/ . :mad: So, I can't buy refills (very eco-unfriendly I think) and it is going to cost me the best part of £30 to buy a colour cartridge. That's half the cost of the printer itself! The printer won't print until I've got one installed.

So, does anyone know where I might be able to find these cartridges for a reasonable price? It's a long shot I know. I've complained to Lexmark but I'm sure they won't give a monkey's. Tried ebay but it's the same price as PC World right now.
  • Maysie
    Maysie Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    I buy mine from https://www.cartridgeuk.com luckily for me they have a shop in my town so no postage.

i just buy their own ink no problems with it in my hp printer.
  • pennee1981
    pennee1981 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Well, I could try that, but you say you have an HP - I'll probably find that they won't have the Lexmark ones I need. But thanks for the suggestion! :T
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sidath Yes so good you plugged them 3 times
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business