PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour constantly trespassing in yard, claims right of way.

Options

Comments

• Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lock it then it will be up to her to prove right of way. What's wrong with their front door anyway?
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Many homes have back gardens where people can get to if there's a fire without being able to go into their neighbour's garden. Just having a back door and a garden doesn't mean they can cross other gardens to get to it, especially if they have a front door.

Fence it up/lock it up.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    Do these 'few steps' from their door lead out of your yard? If so can you not redo the fencing so they can get into that door without using your land?

New fence = £100 (maybe more)
    Padlock = £20 (for a really good one)

I vote the padlock
  • Skutter47
    Options
    Thanks all. Red Squirrel, the steps lead into my yard, not out of it. They have a couple of steps, than my back yard is between them and the road. They have a front door they can use to get to the road.

I think I will just padlock it then, thanks all.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Give us an update in a week or two.

Be interested to hear how the neighbour reacts.........
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    New fence = £100 (maybe more)
    Padlock = £20 (for a really good one)

I vote the padlock

Depends if they keep breaking the padlock, or the gate, it could add up!

Sounds like its not an option, although its really hard to imagine a property having a door where the inhabitants only have the right to open the door and stand on the step not to actually use it as an entrance/exit. Surely even if it were just as a fire escape that would be documented somewhere?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like its not an option, although its really hard to imagine a property having a door where the inhabitants only have the right to open the door and stand on the step not to actually use it as an entrance/exit. Surely even if it were just as a fire escape that would be documented somewhere?
    Indeed, this is what I can't understand either - assuming the door isn't a recent addition then surely the neighbours will have acquired some sort of right to use the yard.
  • Skutter47
    Skutter47 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I understand why it might seem like that, but rights of way don't just exist, they must be documented. They are unable to produce any evidence that shows they have a right of way over the land. It is my understanding that it isn't up to us to prove they don't, they must prove that they do.

I have the Title Register to their property, and mine, and neither mention any right of way over our land.

Further, they can have no easement of neccessity, because they can access the same road from their front door. She only walks through the yard to annoy us and purposefully invade our privacy, and she's doing it more now because we had the temerity to politely ask her to respect our privacy.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since the Title Plans of the the two properties clearly (apparantly) show the boundary being 'a few steps' into the yard, and the rest of the yard falling within the OP's property, it is for the neighbour to prove a ROW exists across the land belonging to the OP.
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If they actually own the gate then you may not have the right to padlock it. I would buy a sturdy piece of trellis and fix it across the gateway on your side. A couple of heavy planters in front of that too.
    They can still open 'their' gate but can no longer go through it (unless it opens outwards into your yard that is, in which case they won't be able to open it)!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure