What tool do I need to hack off plaster from the wall?

Hi,

My internal walls need to be treated for damp. I've ripped off the wall paper from the walls, and now need to hack off the damaged plaster so I can expose the brick work underneath the plaster.

What's the best tool to use to hack off the plaster (without damaging the bricks)?

Thanks

Comments

• tomfun
    tomfun Posts: 683 Forumite
    If the plaster is very loose , use a spade, if it is not use a 4" bolster .
  • watch for any burried cables pipes ect
  • roger196
    roger196 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Post
    Get a stud detector, the type which picks up live cables, pipes or studs. About £30 (sometimes less)from B&Q, Homebase or www.screwfix.com
    Electric cables should run either vertically or horizontally from a socket.
  • Big hammer, big chisel. It's a soul destroying job some bits will fall off easily other bits will take forever
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • roger196 wrote: »
    Get a stud detector, the type which picks up live cables, pipes or studs. About £30 (sometimes less)from B&Q, Homebase or www.screwfix.com
    Electric cables should run either vertically or horizontally from a socket.

Sound advice, its not nice when you get shocked or burst a water pipe.
    Tap the plaster with your knuckle and where it is "blown" hit it with a hammer and it will fall away. Any remaining solid stuff can be taken back with a bolster.
  • PPE. (Personal Protective Equipment) Safety goggles, safety shoes, work overalls, tough rubble bags, gloves.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/PUBNS/indg174.pdf
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    an SDS drill with the right chisel tool, will make easy work of any large areas or hard bits.

a hammer and chisel/bolster is ok for small ish areas. unless you have arms like popeye.
    i dont.
    Get some gorm.
  • ormus wrote: »
    an SDS drill with the right chisel tool, will make easy work of any large areas or hard bits.

a hammer and chisel/bolster is ok for small ish areas. unless you have arms like popeye.
    i dont.
    I'm strong to the finish when I eats me spinnach!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure