How to cancel Experian membership?

Comments

• Bikerdels

If you'd gone onto the Say No to 0870 website and entered that 0844 number, it would have given you the freephone number 0800 5610083 so you could have missed paying the premium rate number costs.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Thanks Poppasmurf!
    Used the number to chase my email and spoke with Amy who elevated my query to be responded to in 48 hours. (This is after me chasing by email on 2 Dec and having nothing more than auto acknowledgement).

(Why didn't I find that number on Saynoto0870? Doh! :embarasse)
  • Just dialled the freephone number 0800 5610083 (Wednesday 11am) and got through after a minutes wait as i am 20 days through my trial and want to cancel.

Lady i dealt with initially offered to reduce the payment from £14.99 pcm to £7.99 pcm but as this service is duplicated on my new Vanquis card, i politely declined.

Therefore i am now cancelled and am waiting my e-mail confirmation.

Was initally worried that it was going to be hard-sell but seems no problems at all!!
  • Just registered to say thanks to everyone for this post. I too had nightmare on the website trying to find a number or way of cancelling the 30 days free trial before I started paying.

Have to say the call was a breeze and was the free (0800) number, answered quickly at lunchtime as well. They tried in vain to keep me signed up (£1.99 for monthly update if someone tries to apply for finance in my name) but I see no need for it and was very happy with my 999 rating! Had credit issues many years ago and wasnt sure what was still lurking on my credit history, but thankfully all is well. I will have my revenge on Barclaycard anyway as sent off my PPI claim!

Thanks again and will now be using the site a lot more!!
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2012 at 9:26PM
    I've used them for many, many years - but often cancelled for a few months - then joined again.

But the last time i cancelled - the woman told me there were technical errors, but she would cancel later. I asked why it was so hard to cancel by phone - but we could join easily via the internet. She got all snotty - and said i should be gratefull she was going to do it for me. I said "don't let me keep you from you tea and biscuits - i thought you were getting paid to do it".

The call ended and i immediatley backed up my cancellation request via email.

Fast forward 3 months and they were still helping themselves to my money. I wrote to them,but they denied i had cancelled. They acknowledged my phone call - but said i had called to tell them i wanted to stay. Why would anyone phone to say that.

Anyway, capital one got me my money back, and a month extra. Heard its gone up from £6.99 per month to £14.99 now - not sure if its true because they hide the price on their site.

So a company that protects us from fraudulant financial activity - thinks its ok to take money from our card they have no right to. So who's gonna protect us from them????? They also spy on everyone now, for the government. Big Brother is watching you!!!!!!
  • Have just phoned to cancel my credit report with experian, having got the PIN through the post this morning which means I can actually log in and view the report...viewed it...and now cancelling it!

Phoned 0800 5610083 (17.50pm, Wednesday), and got through to a very helpful guy called Kane, he asked me why I wanted to cancel, so said I just wanted to have a general look at my report, that I'd now done that and didn't need it anymore; then he asked if I was looking at it for anything in particular, so I said 'no particular reason'; then he asked whether I wanted to continue with just the score report at £xx per month, or the ID insurance at £xx per month, to which I said I didn't want to continue with anything that would cost me money, and that was it.

No hard sell, no making me feel bad, just helpful, clear and sorted. Should get an email to say it's been cancelled, and then when my 30-day trial actually runs out, I'll get another email to say it's been cancelled and no money will be taken from my account.

So, let's hope it really is that simple and it does indeed get cancelled as he said! Will post if I get any further problems!
  • TO CANCEL UR EXPERIAN CREDIT REPORT ALL U HAVE TO DO IS CALL THIS NUMBER 0844 481 0800 AND PRESS OPTION 4 THATS WHAT I DID AND IT GOT CANCELLED RIGHT AWAY HOPES THIS HELPS U GUYS :j
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    robert12 wrote: »
    TO CANCEL UR EXPERIAN CREDIT REPORT ALL U HAVE TO DO IS CALL THIS NUMBER 0844 481 0800 AND PRESS OPTION 4 THATS WHAT I DID AND IT GOT CANCELLED RIGHT AWAY HOPES THIS HELPS U GUYS :j

Someone has already given the correct freephone number above.

Please read the thread before jumping in and spouting incorrect information. Calling 0844 numbers is hardly "moneysaving" is it??
  • delsus
    delsus Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well I wanted to cancel my membership, I attempted by email and got this reply
    THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL.

Thank you for your email.

If you would like to cancel your membership, please call us on free phone 0800 561 0083.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am until 6pm and Saturday 9am until 1pm.

Before cancelling your membership, we would like to remind you that we do receive regular updates from lenders, so it is likely that your credit report will change. As a member of CreditExpert, you can check your report as often as you like.

Being an active member of the CreditExpert service allows you to easily check your report before you apply for credit to make sure everything is up to date.

If you do cancel your membership, you can easily rejoin CreditExpert any time that you need to.

If you have a specific question about the information held on your credit report, please use this form: [link removed]. We will respond to report queries as quickly as possible.
    I also only use a mobile, and I really don't want to talk about anything to do with my finances in the middle of a street in a phone box, I waited for a reply but never got one. I sent an email yesterday requesting contact when they were trying to take the money but they couldn't (I should have done this sooner, I know) and low and behold today (after they said they would try again in a couple of days) its gone, so I sent another email today, the first auto reply said they aim to contact me within three days, and today's says 2 weeks. I also have charges to leave my account this week so yeah I could go over my limit because they refuse to reply to an email marked urgent.

They just seem like money grabbers to me, yes I know what they do but give me a damn online way of canceling my membership, not call a number that will cost me an arm and a leg on my mobile.

Had to remove links because I am a new member.
  • steve6375
    steve6375 Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2012 at 5:56PM
    I joined the 30-day trial and then tried to cancel. There is no info on their website at all on how to cancel that is easy to find and the 0844 (5p per minute) number has no relevant option. If you send an email they say they will take 14 days (!!) to reply.
    In the end I phoned the 0844 481 0800 number to join and then said 'look - how do I cancel?' They gave me the 0800 5610083 as reported in an earlier post. I finally managed to cancel it.
    I regard this as very sharp practice by a company that should know better, especially when many of their customers may not be that 'skilful' in dealing with these sort of situations which is why they are using their services in the first place!
    Surely this is against some sort of 'Code of Practise' or something?
    ss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport