Would you take the cash? Poll Discussion

Options

Comments

• Gabs27
    Gabs27 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    To me, it would depend on the cashier's attitude while they were serving me.

In Sainsburys once I was given £10 too much, I could see the young lad had got slightly confused (we all do at times!) so I took it back as I felt his job could be at risk.

On the other hand, if the cashier had been chatting, yawning etc (as is normal in my local Tesco) I think I'd be inclined to keep it.

If it was a small shop, like most people, I would always take it back
  • RSteve
    RSteve Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    This has happened to me more than once and I've always returned it. If I'm short-changed I always expect them to correct the error and they will - you might not get it back immediately but they will check if the till has too much cash at the next cash-up and you can then claim it back.
    The cashier would get into trouble and it's a simple error which anyone could make. If you keep it, you're a thief, and I'm genuinely surprised so many would. You were given the money in error and have no moral claim to it at all- if you keep it you're no better than if you stole it from the till.
    I'm very sad to think so many people would keep it.
  • smillie-world
    Options
    I'd like to know which supermarket this is so I can start shopping there, lol.

I'd keep the money. If I make a mistake at work, then I have to pay the consequences, I then learn by the mistake and ensure I never do it again. Likewise, if a cashier makes the mistake, then they need to learn a lesson about being careful. It's a harmless lesson.
  • Truth
    Options
    Definitely keep the cash. Supermarkets like Tesco are reaping mega profits and destroying our town centres so as far as I am concerned they can take the hit. As a previous user states though if this scenario related to a local shop that provided good customer service then I'd hand it back too.
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Options
    If you think Tesco are reaping mega profits and destroying our town centres in the process there is a simple solution, don't shop there and use your local town centre, if everyone did that Tesco would not be so successful.

Legally I don't think they can make the cashier pay for the mistake out of their wages but they could lose their job over it, sorry but if I thought someone had/could have lost their job because I'd pocketed £20 from the making a genuine mistake I couldn't sleep at night.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    I'd like to know which supermarket this is so I can start shopping there, lol.

I'd keep the money. If I make a mistake at work, then I have to pay the consequences, I then learn by the mistake and ensure I never do it again. Likewise, if a cashier makes the mistake, then they need to learn a lesson about being careful. It's a harmless lesson.
    Oh, to be wealthy enough to think of the loss of £20 as harmless!
    Gordon the Moron, good point about shopping in town centres rather than evil supermarkets like Tesco, but sadly that's not always a realistic optoion. The town centre grocery stores just aren't there any more.
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am so amazed that such a high percentage of people say they would steal the money. What sort of country have we become?

I was given too much change not so long ago, & didn't find out till I got home. I emailed the company concerned straight away to let them know. They thanked me for honesty and said not to worry. I think they were a bit surprised to get such an email, which is rather sad, isn't it.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always return any money that has come to me that shouldn't (usually in the form of incorrect change and sometimes through an item being rung up under its correct price). To do anything else is, in my opinion, a form of self degradation.
  • malcolm88
    Options
    Thos who vote to keep the cash show themselves as thieves who form part of the scum of our modern society.

The cash was in the safe keeping of a trusted employee who made a mistake and will be held responsible for the loss.

Malcolm
  • denny250
    denny250 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    funny how the amount of votes to keep the cash isnt reflected by the amount of comments here

I for one would definitely return the money

whats more surprising for me is the fact that on the occasion when i have done something honest such as taking a mobile into tesco that i found outside in the car park the staff are genuinely surprised that people are honest

What a sad indictment of this world we now live in
    Received £4541 reclaimed from Natwest :j:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family