NHS Pension, should i join?

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    corbyboy wrote: »
    In five years in the scheme I have never had one.

Seems pretty poor then. With my Teachers' pension I receive an annual statement.

At least it allows you to see if their pension record with regards years of service agrees with yours.
  • I have been with the NHS pension for almost 8 years and I had a statement not long ago. There is a "newer" style pension where I think the age has gone up to 65 and they were trying to persuade us "oldies" to change over. I'm sure I have have had more than one statement in the past. I don't know whether the statement was done centrally or our Trust's finance people. It had the forecast etc in there. Although the government are trying to mess with the pension I think it's still going to be one of the best
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,765
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    jem16 wrote: »
    Seems pretty poor then. With my Teachers' pension I receive an annual statement.

At least it allows you to see if their pension record with regards years of service agrees with yours.

I've got the feeling that you get pensionable service shown on your P60
  • mrsb74
    mrsb74 Posts: 24 Forumite
    thanks for all of your comments, yes it is the new style pension i will be in, in my book it says the age is 65, i will join it, just wanted to hear some more views as you always see on the news people moaning about the pensions, my mother in law is ex nhs and she said not to do it but i will, thanks
  • Koicarp
    Koicarp Posts: 323 Forumite
    I have 18 years in the NHS scheme and never had a statement, neither has my wife with similar service. I think there is one sent out once we get into our early 50's as a friend with equal service to me got one recently. We can request one at any time.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,719
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, join it ASAP.

As for extra contribs, you mention you don't own a home at the moment. Are you planning to? Do you have 6 months in spending saved in cash (preferably ISAs)? If you want a house, and you don't have emergency savings I would address these things before you add more to your already very good pension.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As others have said 'bite their hand off', I would be really really struggling without my NHS pension I am so glad that I joined .
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    mrsb74 wrote: »
    my mother in law is ex nhs and she said not to do it

Out of interest did your mother-in-law say why she thought you shouldn't join?
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,001
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jem16 wrote: »
    Out of interest did your mother-in-law say why she thought you shouldn't join?

Yeah, bearing in mind that it would be one of the worst financial decision you could ever made.

Cheers

Joe
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Everyone moans about pensions, whether public or private sector. :) Just get on with using them, particularly the public sector ones, which are great and will still be great even with the changes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure