PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) In the small hours of Sunday-Monday, an emergency call from the next door neighbour involved me and Mum scooting around there and letting ourselves in with the spare key which lives at ours (and vice versa).

I hadn't realised that their streetlights get turned off about midnight and it was pitchy black. Fortunately, I slung my handbag over my body on my way out and have taken to keeping a small LED torch in it since about 2 weeks ago. Very handy to light our way.

Preps have to be accessible and in good condition to be preptastic, otherwise it's more a case of hoarding. Which reminds me, must check to be sure my mobile is charged, and to charge it if not.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    About 5 years ago I bought everyone in the family a small, wind-up torch for their Christmas stockings (a sale offer at Wilkos). Some of them laughed and said it reminded them of their Childhood (we always got torches too) but most have now said how much they appreciate them since two thirds of our street lights were turned off to save money. It's not so much that it is pitch black, but the state of the pavements (another cost-saving exercise) means you really need to be able to see where you are going. I also have them dotted around the house "just in case". It's a good reminder to sort out some candles though as although I can get to them fairly easily it makes more sense to have them ready to go. And matches!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    We had a long power cut here yesterday, in daylight. Our elect goes off at the oddest times.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I take it you guys have seen that now Australia have jumped on the bandwagon:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-14/war-cash-escalates-australia-proposes-ban-100-bill-no-cash-within-10-years
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-14/war-cash-escalates-australia-proposes-ban-100-bill-no-cash-within-10-years
    :( Once we're cash free, we will be enslaved as never before. The sensible person ought to use cash at each and every opportunity. I worry about the youngest adults sleep-walking towards slavery and dragging me with them.

Meanwhile, while you can, buy things for cash that you wouldn't want TPTB to know about. I certainly wouldn't want the corned beef stash to be known about in certain quarters.:rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I worry about the youngest adults sleep-walking towards slavery and dragging me with them.

Don't worry about the young adults. They'll be too preoccupied with their phones to notice. But in any case, if they make cash obsolete, there's still barter.

Funny really, I've been saying for the last four years that the way to stop worrying about it all is simply to adjust your mentals and tell yourself it's the 1980's again and we're in Soviet Russia. The gubment's bent, nothing works properly, the roads are a joke etc. You're on your own, comrade.

Once you get used to that idea, it's fine ... :cool:
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh Si, that's all too true!
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    Si_Clist wrote: »
    Don't worry about the young adults. They'll be too preoccupied with their phones to notice. But in any case, if they make cash obsolete, there's still barter.

Funny really, I've been saying for the last four years that the way to stop worrying about it all is simply to adjust your mentals and tell yourself it's the 1980's again and we're in Soviet Russia. The gubment's bent, nothing works properly, the roads are a joke etc. You're on your own, comrade.

Once you get used to that idea, it's fine ... :cool:
    :p Oi! What have you been doing, peeking into my head? I've been having that soviet russia thought quite a lot this year. What was the old line, they pretend to pay us and we pretend to work............? :rotfl:

Seems to me that the only way to stay sane and relatively prosperous is to duck and dive, wheel and deal and, on general principles, deceive TPTB whenever possible.

Awright, comrades, I will be planning the 2017 allotment crops with view to bartering. Should I go for mass (spuds and onions) vs short season premium fruits like strawbs and berries?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Spuds and onions are less nickable by two legged or feathered thieving types and can be stored. After the Channel Islands were invaded in 1940 you couldn't get hold of an onion in late 1940 for love nor money because they were nearly all imported. Even next year onions were in short supply because there was very little seed to sow in January 1941. If you had home grown onions in store back then, they were extremely valuable barter commodities
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »

So - India, Venezuela, Australia??:cool:

Keep us posted.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family