PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Unfortunately true LL imo that the body language needs watching too. I've noticed in a variety of circumstances one has to look "confident". I can pick out likely "victims" in the street myself by now and think "They are the ones at risk from these scroats".

In the home - well you never know when you might doze off or are playing the tv/radio too loud to hear someone coming in etc.

One of the harder parts of getting older imo is the list of things that "are never going to happen to me" gets steadily shorter - as you watch them having happened to either yourself or someone close to you.:( It's very disillusioning to steadily realise just what a risky business it is living on Planet Earth.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Mine too! I don't mind "samey" breakfasts/lunches but do like variety in my evening meal:D

Much the same here, but sometimes when a TBFO item is just hanging around then a "rinse & repeat" meal has to be eaten, but I try and leave at least a day between them, unless it was so good an encore is deserved

Growing up in the 50s I can't honestly remember having set meals on set days, maybe we did but perhaps because my mum was such a rotten cook all meal memories have been subconsciously repressed, except my Nan's stew & dumplings

Never went out today, it is dull and nothing really needed anyway, plus I had things on the computer I have been putting off too long and now really really needed doing, so I did them at last

I fancied a breakfast, but it was mid morning by then so I went without carried on until lunch, which was more of the sausages on offer, with a few spoonfuls of chutney mountain between crusty bread

I notice a few of the go to foods are cheesey, mine are the same, cheese & onion is way up there for me

My daughter's family were burgled only a few months ago, he [the cops got him] got in round the back by removing the beading from double glazed window and removing the pane. He was a double glazing fitter so knew exactly what to do. Affluent area, he did 13 houses in all, if no visible burglar alarm he rang bell, if no reply in he went round the back, in & out in a few minutes. Her doors were locked, and three dogs in the house so you never really know

My doors are always locked, even if I am in, once had the garage broken into, they stole a crate of home brewed beer, more fool them it was rank which is why it was in the garage :D

I did have blackberries & red currants yesterday, more where they came from for during the week, plus it was the cooked chicken option from the freezer that made yesterday's dinner

Tonight is a lazy dinner, the YS minced beef pie bought yesterday, with frozen chips and a sort of half hearted bubble & squeak using yesterday's LO cooked runners, cabbage & courgette, should be nice once they get a burnt crust, I love that bit of a fry up
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have noticed that PN hasn't posted at all today which is unusual. Hope ou`re OK PN and just out enjoying yourself.
    Slimming World at target
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Have noticed that PN hasn't posted at all today which is unusual. Hope ou`re OK PN and just out enjoying yourself.
    I was just thinking the exact same thing! Hope you're ok PN :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I remember over thirty years ago being on holiday with DH in Amsterdam and walking down an alley with nightclubs at night. He muttered that we were likely to get mugged and I replied "No, we are not, walk confidently, not slowly or too quickly and imagine we have just seen our best friends at the end of the road so put a confident smile on your face!"

We were fine!!!

I now make sure I have the doors locked if I am going into the garden or having a shower etc. I also make sure the keys are in the lock so someone cannot get in even if they have a key.

I have been doing this for over twenty years now without any problems.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Re locking my doors even when out in the garden - it depends what part of the garden I'm in. In one part I'll make sure the front door is always locked. In another part - I'd see someone heading towards my house quite clearly anyway before they were able to step onto my property at all. So - that bit depends....

I could whip round the outside of my house very fast and give any intruder a good dousing with my hosepipe:rotfl:. I've checked the range and, from anywhere in my garden, I could douse people for a bit of a distance beyond my boundaries if need be.

Anyways - and back onto food and I had one of those singles "repeats" at lunchtime. So - more noodles and stirfry. Dinner was cherries, then toast spread with tahini and sliced tomatoes, followed by glass of rice milk. I'd not actually tried tahini and tomatoes on toast before and, for a very simple dish, it's actually quite tasty (provided the tomatoes are ripe and flavoursome ones).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Having worked in a less than salubrious part of London in the 1980s I'm confident at "looking confident" even if completely lost.....

It's been a beautiful afternoon here so I spent it mainly in the garden.

Dinner will be late as I haven't started it yet but I do prefer to eat late especially in the good weather so that's fine.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Dinner will be late as I haven't started it yet but I do prefer to eat late especially in the good weather so that's fine.

AH caron, so do I. It's rare to find a kindred spirit in the eating late department :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I'm an early eater :p Home from work and showered, cat and dog seen to and my tea eaten. I cba doing rice so put a few oven chips in before my shower and had them when I was out with the chilli and it was gorgeous :) A nice change.

Have made a sandwich for tomorrow but as I'm working 8.30am to 1pm I'll either eat it at my desk or in the car on the way home. It's a funny finish time really as I live a 30 minute drive away and am always hungry at lunchtime as I don't have breakfast.

An evening of tv is on the cards although my son and his partner are popping in as they're in the area visiting friends. My son is going to hold the cat wrapped in a towel so I can squirt some medicine in her mouth. It's proved almost impossible on my own lol. Give me a dog that eats anything including food with tablets hidden in it any day!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    AH caron, so do I. It's rare to find a kindred spirit in the eating late department :D

Great minds and all that... My habit stems from routinely not get backing work until after 7pm knackered and knowing if I sat down I'd never get anything done so got into the habit of eating after I had done any chores/walked pooches/watered garden etc. so I could relax and enjoy my meal. It works for me and if I was to eat earlier I reckon I would rely on constant CBA meals and end up nibbling later on;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure