Cold Calling

Not sure if this is the right forum but was hoping someone may be able to help me here.... I received a cold call yesterday from someone who wanted to confirm some details about my energy usage to tell me about government grants for renewable energy sources. When I asked if she was calling from the government themselves she said, 'Yes', I asked her again as I was really unsure as to why the government would even bother calling people to tell them about this and she repeated, 'Yes'. Now, today I get a call from someone who claimed to be following up on a call made by their colleague yesterday to tell me about such grants, they were in fact calling from a company called Suns Energy Ltd, I told them that their colleague in fact told me she was calling from the government and he admitted that this was incorrect. I have since registered with TPS but I would also like to file a complaint about this company as it gets me so angry that these people lie on the phone to get information, especially when I think they could be calling much elderly folk than myself. Does anyone know where I can complain about this company?

Many thanks for reading :)

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Complaining is good for self-esteem but ultimately pointless.

Get a Truecall device (or a handset with it built in, like the BT8600) and your cold calls will disappear like magic. (Your line needs to have Caller ID active for Truecall to work).

Some phone providers also offer a call blocker option, which may or may not be chargeable.

If the call came on your mobile, install a call blocker app and add the numbers as they arrive to the block list. (Some call blocker apps link to an online database to tell you whether you should even bother answering - e.g. Should I Answer app for Android).
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    You made a good decision when you registered with TPS. This means that UK-based companies have no right to call you for the purposes of marketing and unsolicited sales. However, there is still a risk that you receive calls in regard to companies based abroad, companies where you have opted-in to get calls and market research calls. If after you have registered, you still get cold calls, you report it to TPS. They pass the complaints to ICO which have the power to take action.
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    It could also help that you contact the company in question and ask them to remove you from their call lists.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Or UK based companies that stay under the radar and shift call centers .
    Many find TPS almost useless .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I have since registered with TPS but I would also like to file a complaint about this company as it gets me so angry that these people lie on the phone to get information, especially when I think they could be calling much elderly folk than myself. Does anyone know where I can complain about this company?
    If you only registered with TPS after receiving the unsolicited calls, there really is little point in "complaining" at all. Cold calling is not illegal and if you weren't TPS registered then there was nothing to prevent this company's calls.

I understand why you would want to complain about their call centre operator apparently answering in the affirmative that she was calling from a government agency, but I can't see you would get anywhere by doing so.

The company would likely claim it was simply a misunderstanding and I'm not sure to whom you might successfully complain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure