PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Farway wrote: »
    Fusspot, as others have pointed out, do waht suits you not what the latest health guru says, as others have also pointed out, next week / year / decade it will all reversed anyway, next will be beef dripping sandwiches with a crusting of salt are excellent for you

Depending on your budget the ready meals in M & S, or Waitrose sometimes on offer, 3 for a tenner or less sort of thing i find are ideal if chosen carefully. I choose waht i would neve make myself, not because I can't but because the ingredients are not to hand, or obscure or just CBA. For instance both Liver & bacon and battered fish fall into this category for me

Picked the runners, 600 grammes yesterday BTW, that's over a couple of saved quid right there, and far better quality than shop ones

I steamed half yesterday and was going to use the rest today with my new steamer, but it is just too hot to even think about that, so salad it is tonight

Breakfast was zero, but found YS digestive biscuit packet in asda, so despite my good intentions I now have biscuits in the house, and had some mid morning, dunked in my coffee of course

Because of forthcoming break away I am trying to limit the perishable stuff I buy, my loaf is runing out but do not want to have most of a new one shoved in the fridge for 4 days while I am away, plan A is use ready to bake baguttes 'cos they will keep

Thus it was bagutte for lunch, and because it is salad tonight, I opened up a tin of corned beef, some used in the baguette with spring onions & tomato, the rest of it will be for tonight's salad, which BTW will use up the LO potato salad made the other day

Very heathy on the veg stakes today with all the salad, and may have a handful of freah gooseberries & red currants during my garden patrol

Any ideas on using cold runner beans? They are fresh uncooked at the moment, it had crossed my mind to cook them & toss in mayo / salad cream when cool. Any one done this, or any other ideas?

Yes Runners in mayo work well I like to add sme chopped onion.Thisis a favourite ofmine too

Runners with bacon - serves 4. Slice 400g runner beans. Boil for 3-4 minutes until just tender. Drain, refresh in cold water, drain again.Gently cook an onion in a little oil until soft. Remove from the pan, add more oil if needed and fry 4 slices chopped smoked streaky bacon until crispy. Add the onion and beans to the pan and warm through.

I use cooking bacon for this.
    Slimming World at target
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Farway. I do a salad with runner beans, and any other kind of beans that I have, apart from baked, finely chopped onion and some sweetcorn. Either in a vinegar or mayo dressing, depending on my mood, and if anyone else is eating it too. I do like to add a bit of heat, perhaps smoked paprika, some finely chopped chilli, or a splash of some hot sauce. It's a meal in itself to me, with perhaps some grated cheese, halloumi cheese or some tofu, depending on what I have handy. Goes with anything really. Forgot to say that I cook the runner beans first and then plunge into icy water to keep the colour.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Eventually had the soup for lunch around 4 pm. Rake around in the freezer, found some ice cream that I'd made not too long ago, so half of that and the rest of the fruit salad just polished off. That will probably do me for the day now.

Found a container full of sliced tomatoes lurking at the bottom of the fridge. Vaguely remember doing them, but didn't want them added to the veggie salad. Woops! I've just been slicing up a tomato as needed. They look okay, as I'd given them a generous splash of pomegranate vinegar. Might make a gazpacho tomorrow with the remnants of the veg that I have left, as can't think what else to use them for now. What a total wally!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good afternoon everyone,

Farway - cooked cold runners (or any green beans) are lovely in a salad with tuna, hard boiled eggs and spuds with the dressing of your choice.:)

Weather looks as though it might stop raining so hoping to nip out and pick my dwarf beans. It doesn't look like a great crop so I want this batch harvested so I can use the tub for batch two:).

I thought I had finally managed to make only 2 portions of soup but no there is a small portion LO so depending on the weather tomorrow that's either lunch sorted or I'll freeze it. I decided on a turkey steak for tonight which I'll cook in foil with herbs, garlic, mushrooms, courgette and tomato:) and maybe a wee baked spud on the side for the juices:D.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Didn't get any bread rolls for the burgers though, I was in Aisle 1 when I chose to not buy any .... and, later, picked up the burgers in the furthest aisle from aisle 1.... so just headed for the till rather than trying to go to the far end of the shop just for some bread rolls. I didn't intend to eat a burger today so it wasn't important.

Very like me, can't be bothered heading right back to where I started off. Ok if it's in a small shop, but a big supermarket, tough luck, do without, unless totally necessary. There's always other options. I keep pitta bread in the freezer, and always replace when used up. Use instead of chapatti or naan for a curry, use instead of bread for a toastie or a sandwich, use instead of a burger bun for a Portobello mushroom "burger". Best thing since sliced bread....sorry. :p
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 July 2017 at 6:56PM
    I'm sitting here with a wet teatowel on my head, trying to bring my temperature down. It's way too hot to even think about any form of cooking!

The quiche I'd planned ... most likely won't happen because by the time it's cool enough to think about cooking I'll feel it's too late to start/bother :)

Will probably end up with chips .... that's easy, even though I don't really fancy them.

Nothing for now .... see how it goes.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I do sympathise PN. We all cry out for the heat to come, but then there's a certain temp, that just doesn't need going above to get past your comfort zone.
    If you've got a water bottle, fill it with icy cold water, will help to keep you cool, and great for cooling down the bed/pillow. Unfortunately, I don't have one, but it's on my list. My brother raves about a stoneware one I bought for him years and years ago....wish I had bought one for me too.

Great breeze has whipped up here this evening, so have just darted upstairs and opened up the bedroom windows and curtains. Am hoping that I may be able to do without the air conditioning on tonight.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 July 2017 at 7:58PM
    Well, even though it was hot, the quiche got made.... I made two in individual pots - but when it came to fillings I realised if I was going to cut a tomato .... it'd be better to make them both the same and use up the whole tomato.

Intended/thought of using other stuff...but in the end it's ended up as two simple cheese/tomato bakes. They're in the oven, "resting" .... and I'm now doing the chips :)

EDIT 7.48: And it's eaten :) Ate one of the quiches.... other one will probably get scoffed later as I forgot how gorgeous they are :)

I made it in the two pots, because I was trying the pots out for size as I'd not used these particular dishes in this way before (newly purchased this year) .... next time I'll just make it up in one dish as one pot's a nice snack/taster, but I felt a bit "cheated". I now know how those particular dishes work for capacity/satisfaction.... and I've got more suitable dishes in the cupboard.

EDIT 7.57: Ah .... I realised that if I get a fork and a teatowel, I can hold the hot dish with the teatowel and scoff the contents with a fork.... and, having thought of it, that was it .... I ate the second dish! Oh well. It was very tasty.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well, even though it was hot, the quiche got made.... I made two in individual pots - but when it came to fillings I realised if I was going to cut a tomato .... it'd be better to make them both the same and use up the whole tomato.

Intended/thought of using other stuff...but in the end it's ended up as two simple cheese/tomato bakes. They're in the oven, "resting" .... and I'm now doing the chips :)

EDIT 7.48: And it's eaten :) Ate one of the quiches.... other one will probably get scoffed later as I forgot how gorgeous they are :)

I made it in the two pots, because I was trying the pots out for size as I'd not used these particular dishes in this way before (newly purchased this year) .... next time I'll just make it up in one dish as one pot's a nice snack/taster, but I felt a bit "cheated". I now know how those particular dishes work for capacity/satisfaction.... and I've got more suitable dishes in the cupboard.

EDIT 7.57: Ah .... I realised that if I get a fork and a teatowel, I can hold the hot dish with the teatowel and scoff the contents with a fork.... and, having thought of it, that was it .... I ate the second dish! Oh well. It was very tasty.

They sound lovely, I want quiche now :)

Says the person who has been tucking into lemon tart and scones :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They sound lovely, I want quiche now :)

Says the person who has been tucking into lemon tart and scones :D
    Me too even though I've just had dinner :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories