suncream recommendations?

Comments

• sammyjammy wrote: »
    There is legally no such thing as SPF 55,70 or 100 in the UK, the highest you can buy is SPF50+, it may seem like overkill to you but everyone reacts to the sun differently.
    I know you think that SPF 50 is overkill but I have viitiligo and this lotion stops my white bits with no pigment from burning but my 'normal skin still tans nicely!

I didn't mean to open up a can of worms there :o I just thought SPF30 should be plenty for a fair-skinned person (like me). Actually there's not very much difference in the sun protection once you get much past SPF25

bi-an-cua-kem-chong-nang2.jpg

I've been using that particular one for years and get on really well with it, but I could go for the higher SPFs if I can't find a good replacement for my factor 30.
  • P20's pretty good, and Primark sell it now :)

HBS x

I tried this one a few years ago and it stained my clothing all yellow :(
  • sstevo19 wrote: »
    La Roche Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50 is amazing, it's not chalky or greasy and it's easy to reapply as well.

I agree with this, I've been using it for years when it was recommended to me by a consultant dermatologist.
  • OldMotherTucker
    OldMotherTucker Posts: 8,593 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2017 at 8:05PM
    I didn't mean to open up a can of worms there :o I just thought SPF30 should be plenty for a fair-skinned person (like me). Actually there's not very much difference in the sun protection once you get much past SPF25

bi-an-cua-kem-chong-nang2.jpg

I've been using that particular one for years and get on really well with it, but I could go for the higher SPFs if I can't find a good replacement for my factor 30.

It's the vitiligo that is a problem for me - zero pigment in large patches on my joints and torso means I start to burn the minute I expose my skin to the sun. I was just attesting that you can still produce melanin even with factor 50.

Steroids and lupus mean I avoid the sun - indoors and covered up 99% of the time but UV can penetrate thinner clothing and windows and the rays can 'bounce' into shaded areas. ideally I'd use a total sunblock at all times to stop my normal skin turning even remotely brown and highlighting the vitiligo!! I just tell people I'm a vampire and sunlight will kill me!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • It is true there is little difference in a clinical setting but most people do not use the full quanity of spf to get the text book level of protection. Applications of a teaspoon amount to the face despite the greatest intent don'-t happen in the real world. I view it as the higher the better as it may compensate for some of my failings as product rubs off and uneven application and even if i get somewhere near the results, that is ok. (i hope)

I used a great product last year ANTHELIOS SPF 50 INVISIBLE FACE MIST ULTRA-LIGHT. (it was just launched last year). It is brilliant it sprays over a full face of make up and protects you, it does not look heavy, it is totally invisible. it is so convenient and simple to use. It is a top up through out the day and it amazing!!! It really works well for bald heads also. I was so impressed as i layered on spf bioderma, make up and then every 3 hours the spray and it worked like a dream.
    http://www.laroche-posay.com/products-treatments/Anthelios/Anthelios-SPF-50-Invisible-face-mist-ULTRA-LIGHT-p20787.aspx

Avoid a formulation you hate'-'-'- like a thick lotion as you will never use it. Ask for samples and try the feel of it. If you like it you will apply it. Sometimes it is better to spend a lot on something important. I have a tesco one that was used once and never again.
  • ElusiveLucy
    ElusiveLucy Posts: 686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I use Boots Soltan for the face, they are great. On my body I use Piz Buin Tan intensifying lotion - SPF15 on most and SPF6 on my legs which do not seem to recognise what the sun is. They have provided me with excellent protection on my holidays for years and must suit my skin. I tried some Lancaster lotion on my last holiday and it brought me out in a rash.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • booter
    booter Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Like sammyjammy, I recommend Ultrasun - once a day application (so no faffing with re-applying, and no need to carry it around) and it works! SPF 20, 30 & 50, and they do a facial one, so perfect to apply before make-up (I could never see the point in re-applying sun protection cream over make up).
    P20 does work, but does stain clothing a lovely shade of lemon :( and although I did try it on my face, it's quite an oily texture and has a fairly strong chemical smell which makes my eyes water!
    Calypso once a day also works - haven't experienced any staining yet. But I'm loathe to try it on my face because it feels more like an oil than a cream (and I don't want to repeat the P20 experience).
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I use Boots Soltan for the face, they are great. On my body I use Piz Buin Tan intensifying lotion - SPF15 on most and SPF6 on my legs which do not seem to recognise what the sun is. They have provided me with excellent protection on my holidays for years and must suit my skin. I tried some Lancaster lotion on my last holiday and it brought me out in a rash.
    How weird!

My legs are the same.
  • adsk
    adsk Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Lidl's sun cream is the one to go for. Last year up against the big brands it came out on top in the German equivalent of Which? magazine.
  • Lindlou
    Lindlou Posts: 110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Asia's own is good. Used it for several years abroad and have never burned although I used to with other brands. It rubs in well and doesn't stain clothes. Good price too. Although I don't like the coconut version.......
    Never, ever give up........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport