VLS 60 buying more now ok?

Comments

• jdw2000
    jdw2000 Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Yes all kinds of things could happen 'in theory' and it would 'make sense' for x,y,z to happen after a,b,c. Rule one of investing is that the market can remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

Some people make or preserve money in crashes, others lose their shirts. If there was an easy answer to avoiding one, everyone would try to do it, but that surge of market behaviour would change prices, still causing people to lose money. Many just accept that dips, corrections and crashes are part of life and to be expected, so they just try to invest broadly enough to not lose their life savings when lots of things are crashing at once.

Sure, totally with you on all that. It's up to each person to understand what the worst-case scenario is and not leave themselves too exposed to it that it screws them up.

Worst-case scenario for me personally would be stock/bond crash AND interest rate rise (my mortgage being pegged to BoE rates). Hence a cash reserve.

What I will say though is that the entire reason people have bonds is to counteract a crash. Why else do people do it? Sure, they may go down in value alongside equities in a bear market, but they should act as a parachute. That is their purpose.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 7 March 2017 at 3:03PM
    jdw2000 wrote: »
    Sure, they may go down in value alongside equities in a bear market, but they should act as a parachute. That is their purpose.

The *purpose* of a bond is to provide financing to companies (or governments) which is rewarded with payments of known amounts on a specified timescale without the existing owners of the company giving up voting rights or any assets or profits in excess of the fixed contractual amounts.

So, bonds have an entirely different risk profile to equities which are not at all fixed in terms of their returns. The nature and relative certainty of the bond income and capital is attractive to different people for different reasons.

As you look around, you'll find various other options which offer risk and return profiles which differ to mainstream public listed equities. Any one of which may "act as a parachute" to any of the others, by not moving so harshly in the exact same direction at the exact same time, as well as being capable of producing a return in their own right. None of them, if they carry investment risk, are incapable of falling at the same time as mainstream global public equities. Just the amount may be different.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,353 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    In the credit crunch, bonds and equities went down. Some bonds fell by similar amounts to the equities. Bonds are not created equal in either risk, volatility or potential. This is why some prefer the L&GMI over VLS because the bond allocations are more advanced. Also that static allocations can hinder a portfolio when economic data and assumptions changes.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Do you have the risk profile and behavior for that fund? Your question suggests you may not. You are going to suffer a 30% loss at some point. Could be tomorrow, next week, next month or next year. When you invest is not going to change that.
    I have read that the biggest ever annual fall in the FTSE All Share Index since 1974 was by 32.8% in 2008. As the FTSE All Share is only one of many funds in the diversified VLS60, I wouldn't have thought is was certain that the fund as a whole is likely to suffer a 30% loss over a year, or have I misunderstood?

If there was a 30% fall in a year, would there be much less of a fall in the value of Managed Funds?
  • dunstonh
    I have read that the biggest ever annual fall in the FTSE All Share Index since 1974 was by 32.8% in 2008.

The FTSE100 fell by 45% during the credit crunch and similar amounts over the Asian crisis/dot.com/US accountancy/Sept 11th cycle.

The falls tend to happen over a period. The credit crunch had two major drops totalling the 45%. Autumn 08 and Spring 09. The millennium drops were much more spread out and kept coming as bites that stifled recovery.

Also, drops are not best measured in annual segments. a) for the reasons mentioned above and b) the cautious investor checking their values frequently is looking at it live. Not on a fixed date where it is gone down 45% but back up another 15% giving them a net figure.
    If there was a 30% fall in a year, would there be much less of a fall in the value of Managed Funds?

Whether it is passive or managed doesnt really matter. It is the underlying assets that matter the most.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nellis10
    nellis10 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If there is a crash every 8 years or so, and you invest for 15-20 years, are you more likely to come out ahead with the VLS60 or VLS80 products?

My understanding was that as long as you were prepared for the long term, and drip feeding in the dips as well as the highs, you would generally ride out any storm and come out on top?

Hence the 3-4% on average stock market returns over the long term? I'm not looking to invest in individuals, I want a 15 year plan to invest for those years between retirement and pension.

:o
    2024 Challenges
    • Grocery Budget (January £0/£300)
    • Decluttering (Underway!)
    • Frugal Living (January £0/£500
    • 24 in 2024 (0/24)
  • dunstonh
    If there is a crash every 8 years or so, and you invest for 15-20 years, are you more likely to come out ahead with the VLS60 or VLS80 products?

A crash typically occurs more frequently than that. A crash is defined as 20%. You are looking at every 3 or so years. We had one 18 months ago.
    are you more likely to come out ahead with the VLS60 or VLS80 products?

You would expect the higher equity content to come out better in the long run. However, a Japan style event could mean you never recover and the loss would be greater on VLS80.
    My understanding was that as long as you were prepared for the long term, and drip feeding in the dips as well as the highs, you would generally ride out any storm and come out on top?

If you have the behaviour to accept that and can handle seeing your values drop. I deal with portfolios it the hundreds of thousands or millions. A crash can see many hundreds of thousands of pounds wiped off. That takes understanding.
  • nellis10
    nellis10 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you have the behaviour to accept that and can handle seeing your values drop. I deal with portfolios it the hundreds of thousands or millions. A crash can see many hundreds of thousands of pounds wiped off. That takes understanding.

Thank you Dunstonh. I always read yours & Bowls posts with an eager mindset to learn more!
    My little £100/month is thus chickenfeed lol. But I am upping it to £500/month from Jan 2018. So to me it won't be such chicken feed :o
    I may however change my risk profile from 80 to 60 as a 20 year investment cycle. I want to basically set it and forget it, and review once a year.

Then when I learn and understand the market better, I may diversify further into a little P2P. My pensions are set it and forget it and I will be contributing enough to make the calculators work o the value I need.

So this investment ISA will determine how far in advance of 67 I can retire (I am 46 on Saturday, so I figure 15 years left to make hay).
    2024 Challenges
    • Grocery Budget (January £0/£300)
    • Decluttering (Underway!)
    • Frugal Living (January £0/£500
    • 24 in 2024 (0/24)
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Audaxer wrote: »
    I have read that the biggest ever annual fall in the FTSE All Share Index since 1974 was by 32.8% in 2008. As the FTSE All Share is only one of many funds in the diversified VLS60, I wouldn't have thought is was certain that the fund as a whole is likely to suffer a 30% loss over a year, or have I misunderstood?

Globalisation means that equities, particularly those of the large companies that make up the bulk of most trackers, are increasingly likely to move together in line with the world economy. No longer can we assume for example that what happens in Japan is independent of the FTSE100. So just having investments from around the world is not sufficient to provide adequate diversification.

Improving diversification isnt easy - there are no perfectly satisfactory answers. Small companies help a bit as they are more dependent on local conditions. Diversification by industry rather than geography makes sense. Government bonds are helpful though safe ones that provide very good diversification also provide zero return. High return corporate bonds are more correlated with equities. P2P could be a sensible way to go.

Managed funds generally could be expected to be less volatile than trackers as the manager may have an incentive to sacrifice some potential return to achieve long term sustainability and be less likely to respond over-enthusiastically to the latest fashion. However I dont think the general effect will be large. Some managed funds deliberately aim to reduce volatility. Ruffer Investment Trust increased in value pretty steadily during the great crash and has continued to do so in subsequent years. The Trojan O fund is another one that didnt fall.
  • jdw2000
    jdw2000 Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A crash typically occurs more frequently than that. A crash is defined as 20%. You are looking at every 3 or so years. We had one 18 months ago.

How did VLS fare in the crash 18 months ago? The biggest criticism of VLS is that it has yet to be tested in a crash, with the assumption by some being that it will likely fare worse than most.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure