SSE broadband feedback

Comments

• Argh!

Trying to switch providers is a nightmare - especially as I have to move to a BT Openreach line so it's not a simple switch over. Made all the more difficult by all parties involved. Except me, of course, I'm just trying to ask questions that pre-empt and forewarn me of all issues so I can pick the least painful path. What an afternoon!

Anyway, I'm going to give SSE a go and hope I get the hoped for savings. If they pull a trick on me it probably won't be for too much so I'm going to take the plunge.

At least for 2 years. Then I'm sure I'll have to move again

Argh!
  • an_ecunemical_matter
    an_ecunemical_matter Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 April 2015 at 7:45PM
    Reaper wrote: »
    Snipped.....
    Don't go via the MSE links if you want to save money!

Instead go via

TopCashBack
    which is offering £50.50 cash back on this deal........
    I got £52.50 from Topcashback on the basic deal today.

Rang EE to renew who said £132 upfront and £6 a month ( I'm with them on £2 a month), he wouldn't go below £3 a month. I told him to save the deal and he said ok but he'd ring back in a couple of hours (it was 11 am).

Guess what- no call back and I'm on they way to SSE, £144 a yr vice £168 and hopefully better than the abysmal EE service. ��
  • I emailed SSE with a couple of questions about this offer, and I'm posting the answers here in case they're useful to someone else.

Technical support for the broadband is via a freephone number - 0800 197 5446 (big difference from my current provider who charges 9p per minute)

The model of wireless router you get sent depends upon whether you're going for the cable or ADSL (phone line) service.

ADSL - Technicolor TG582n
    Fibre - Technicolor TG799vn V2

Each of these has 4 Ethernet ports in the back.

You can find full technical details about each of these (if that's your sort of thing) by googling the model numbers. I'd post links, but I'm not allowed yet.

Hope that's useful.
  • Contacted SSE as this seams a good deal but for some beware they do not offer a transfer of service meaning you could be without broadband for between seven and twenty one days.
    I was happily with the Post Office so I could have BT Wholesale service levels without having to deal with BT Retail (I'm an ex BT engineer) unfortunately Post Office Home Phone Broadband moved their service over to TalkTalk LLU and with it my line away from the BT kit in the exchange.
    Now when I search for availability of fiber I get an error on many web sites as my line is no longer on BT Wholesale.
    On contacting suppliers it appears that the most competitive will only offer to cease my current line / number and purchase a new one from BT Wholesale. Hence the big delays in service and loss of number. I've contacted Ofcom and they have explained very clearly that it is the "Gaining provider" that needs to request a transfer rather than a cease. Unfortunately the most competitive ones don't.
    Be aware switching to a provider that does not use BT Wholesale equipment can restrict your options in the future.
  • pms01
    pms01 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I'm with talk talk, i put my land line number in the sse number check and it states i dont have a bt landline? bot on the wall states OPENREACH
  • andyt8
    andyt8 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tetra wrote: »
    BT OpenReach does not serve Hull (while most of the country's telephone service was provided by the Post Office, then BT; Hull's telephone lines were owned by the local authority).

Does anyone know if SSE telephone service allows calls via short code to Over Ride providers?

Good question. I asked their help desk person a couple of weeks back before this latest offer and they could not give me an answer - in fact I don't think they understood the question. I tried to give an example but they were too young to remember 131 to call via Mercury in the old days. Lets hope someone already with SSE can answer this question.
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    pms01 - yes, I went through TopCashback to get the cashback, but couldn't complete because I'm with TalkTalk too (ie it's not a BT Openreach phone, even though it used to be).

Anyway, I phoned SSE and after waiting an age to get through, and then the set-up took 25-30 minutes.

They have said that the connection will be 23 days for the phone, and a further 7 days for the BB, and that I might be without BB for one day. There is no connection fee and a free router will be sent (no delivery charges etc).

So I'm happy with this, providing the fair usage is OK. But I think they all say this, don't they?

I phoned TalkTalk for a MAC (I didn't need this, by the way, as my bundle with them doesn't have a MAC applied - it's an LLU network - I have no idea particularly what that means!). TalkTalk offered £14.70 line rental and free BB. So if you don't want to move (I am well out of contract, if that made a difference), try that!
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Contacted SSE as this seams a good deal but for some beware they do not offer a transfer of service meaning you could be without broadband for between seven and twenty one days.
    I was happily with the Post Office so I could have BT Wholesale service levels without having to deal with BT Retail (I'm an ex BT engineer) unfortunately Post Office Home Phone Broadband moved their service over to TalkTalk LLU and with it my line away from the BT kit in the exchange.
    Now when I search for availability of fiber I get an error on many web sites as my line is no longer on BT Wholesale.
    On contacting suppliers it appears that the most competitive will only offer to cease my current line / number and purchase a new one from BT Wholesale. Hence the big delays in service and loss of number. I've contacted Ofcom and they have explained very clearly that it is the "Gaining provider" that needs to request a transfer rather than a cease. Unfortunately the most competitive ones don't.
    Be aware switching to a provider that does not use BT Wholesale equipment can restrict your options in the future.

paulwaiting - thank you for this information. Really helpful and explains why TalkTalk customers cannot access this offer online (and therefore via TopCashBack). It's annoying, but presumably we are now going back to a BT system. I guess that SSE must be covering the reconnection fee (which TalkTalk say is £130) as they definitely told me there was no connection fee (plus free router).
  • mgcs
    mgcs Posts: 4 Newbie
    This sounds like an astonishingly good deal!
    But too good to be true?
    I rang them to ask if I can (as with BT) still use 18866/18185 over-ride providers to minimise call costs. The call centre guy had never heard of such a thing - nor had the two (more senior?) people he asked. Not a great start!
    He also told me that I can't sign-up now, for the service to start in Sept, when both my BT contracts expire.
    Does anyone know the answer to the 18866/18185 question (they charge just 5p per CALL, not per minute) to ordinary UK numbers, with no call set-up cost.
    And what about SSE's customer service? - though, ultimately, one is still at the mercy of the dreaded Openreach, unfortunately...
  • paulwaiting
    paulwaiting Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Historically, as part of the deregulation of Telecom's it was prescribed in law that BT must allow subscribers to have access to another carrier (call provider). As a general guide if your ISP is using a BT Wholesale product then by default the facility is enabled on your line. Personally I used 1899 for daytime calls by dialing 1899 before the number, which is why its called Carrier PreSelect. Now I'm on a Local Loop Unbundled (LLU) line thats not connected to BT Wholesale kit in the exchange I have to dial a 0808 number, a lot more expensive.
    This was historically the case and as it was enshrined in anti competition law as an employee of any of the BT group of companies you could face a disciplinary leading to loss of your job and pension if you talked to anyone outside your part of the company about it.
    This is also why there are so many problems with getting faults fixed as the anti competitive laws prevent engineers from the companies talking to each other. If a BT Wholesale engineer in the telephone exchange see's a wire broken off on the BT Openreach side of the connection at the exchange he's not allowed to touch it or tell any one from BT Openreach as that would in theory be an advantage for the BT group of companies to fix the problem quicker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure