PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Lots of users (with very low post counts) promoting the use of Resolver.

If I was cynical...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,625
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lots of users (with very low post counts) promoting the use of Resolver.

If I was cynical...

I think to be fair it makes stuff easier and Martin and this site promote it constantly as THE way to complain now, I don't think MSE would need to stoop to making sock puppet accounts. If you look at the PPI guide for example, Resolver is mentioned 15 times and is one of the 3 bold points in the intro guide, it's on the bank charges one 14 times and is on the weekly MSE email etc
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    As I said, if I was cynical.. ;)
  • Weybridge78
    Weybridge78 Posts: 208
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    What were you reclaiming: Credit card, but complaint was upheld on a £25K loan from around 15-years ago that had been forgotten about
    Who was the provider: MBNA
    How much did you get back: £7K
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Resolver
  • So, this is a strange one! I claimed ppi was miss sold on a loan from Yorkshire bank many years ago in April 2013, the complaint was up held and I received frm memory a pay out of £800 ish a few weeks later. I closed that account and moved house forgetting about it. In march this year I got a letter to say that this redress was potentially incorrect and requesting up to date contact details to discuss it with me, as they requested I took driving liscence etc to local branch to confirm update details. I heard nothing so 4 weeks later rang to see what was happening, they claimed that have sent a letter to my current address( I definately didn't receive anything as you can imagine I was looking out for it!) They refused to discuss the details on the phone but agreed to resend the offer letter. It arrived today, it makes no sense what so ever! The first page has my details and states Iam due more compensation. It sites 9 account numbers they have reinvestigated, the following pages titled appendix one show a summary of the redress due for 15 different account numbers, the name on page one of the appendix is also not mine. The sums involved for this customer are really quite large and initially before I realised it wasn't referring to me I became quite excited! Getting to the last page is an acceptance form which once again has my details on and the loan account nos mentioned on the first page and an offer for compensation amounting to £1462.88. It states I had only 21 days to accept this offer from the date it was issued which ended today. I guess I have a number issues, can I trust the final page offer letter is actually related to me? Can They enforce the 21 day rule given today is the first time I saw it? What should I do about the massive breach of data protection, I now possess all the account nos and name of another customer! Iam wondering if he got my original offer letter dated 28th march!
    Has anyone else been in a similar position or got any advise?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As per your duplicate post - contact them for clarity.
  • I made speculative claims to every organisation I thought I had had credit cards with. I was convinced I had never had PPI. Was very surprised to get a cheque for £1362 from MBNA for a credit card dating back to 1999. Didn't have account number as the card was long since closed.
  • I tried reclaiming PPI from Nationwide with whom I had a mortgage. My husband was self employed. I had an old piece of paperwork which showed I paid £34 a month. They rang a few times to ask questions. I was turned down completely. I was shocked and disappointed. Of course my husband said we should have gone through a company - presumably they help with the most appropriate answers? I now have another claim to make with a bank and am not sure which route to take. I will be doing a bit more research and will be looking at the forum.
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    Polly1000 wrote: »
    Of course my husband said we should have gone through a company - presumably they help with the most appropriate answers?
    There are no such "appropriate answers". If the truth indicates a mis-sale then you are refunded, if it indicates no wrong-doing then you are rejected.

Realise that not every PPI policy was mis-sold.

All a claim firm does is send your complaint to the Bank and then charges you around a third of any redress you may be awarded.

The fact is that you have no more chance of success with a Claims Management Company than you do complaining alone.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I tried reclaiming PPI from Nationwide with whom I had a mortgage. My husband was self employed.

Nationwide MPPI covered the self employed.
    I had an old piece of paperwork which showed I paid £34 a month. They rang a few times to ask questions. I was turned down completely. I was shocked and disappointed.

You shouldnt be shocked. Most MPPI complaints do fail.
    Of course my husband said we should have gone through a company - presumably they help with the most appropriate answers?
    Committing fraud would not likely have increased your chances of success. Indeed, FOS figures show that people who make personal complaints have a higher success rate than those that use CMCs. This is mainly due to the fact that CMCs do often tell lies in the complaints and where this happens with complaints that lack evidence and need a balance of probability decision, that tends to go with the most credible side. A complaint that has been found to have lies lacks credibility.
    I now have another claim to make with a bank and am not sure which route to take.

No point going to a CMC as that is just a waste of time and potentially money. Your complaint failed because there was nothing to indicate any wrongdoing. The fact you mentioned self employed suggests that was your complaint reason. As Nationwide MPPI covers the self employed, clearly it was not a valid complaint reason. Had it been a loan PPI that didnt cover self employed then it would have been a valid complaint reason.

You need to understand you failed for reasons. Not because the form was sent in the post by you and not a CMC.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback