Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have yet to speak with Thomas Cook - I wanted to get some advice first.

So is this correct that I have no rights to a refund? Can I try alternative means ie contact my bank to request a callback of funds?

I would speak to Thomas Cook first and confirm that your refund is being processed. (I assume you have checked your card account to confirm it has not been returned as yet)
    I cannot see any justification for Thomas Cook to retain the money...(and in fairness I cannot see anything in your post that states they will..) they are probably awaiting confirmation from you on either choosing alternate flights or taking refund before they do anything
  • lesleygelliott
    Options
    Thomas Cook cancelled my flight in February this year, they advised the a flight would be going out 3 days earlier. I was unable to travel on the new date. I eventually managed to get a flight refund.
    I have lodged a claim for compensation via Resolva. I have today been advised that my case has been looked into and as the flight was not delayed more than 3 days my claim has not gone forward.

Is the compensation ruling for flight delays only or for cancellation.

Any help appreciated
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Post should be on Thomas Cook thread.

When posting on appropriate thread please advise time period (days) between cancellation and when flight was anticipated as this is determining factor.
  • lesleygelliott
    Options
    I am sorry i am new to this forum, i didnt see a Thomas Cook thread.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You didn't see it because people new to the forum don't read the FAQs, post their own thread and the relevant airline threads get pushed further down.
    Unfortunately, due to the stupid way MSE forums are organised, they won't make the relevant airlines threads into stickies.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bumped back up
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • stevechase
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone

This is my first post, but wanted to pass on some information which may be helpful

I have spent the last 18 months roughly chasing compensation for a flight from Montego Bay, Jamaica to Manchester, UK in September 2011

As we started to taxi the one engine blew up (sounds dramatic but in essence that is what happened) and the plane was grounded.

Anyway, I saw the claim program on TV around Nov 2015 and thought I would give it a go

Basically and cutting a very long story short, we had to spend an extra night in Jamaica at no cost to ourselves, me, wife and three kids and flew home approx. 24 hours later safe and sound.

I approached TC and they said simply, No. I then found a letter on line referring to an incident in Montego Bay on 4th Sept 2011. This was our flight, there were no real details other than it mentioned that something happened.

I got the CAA involved and they said that TC should pay out but couldn't force them to. I was then directed to the CEDR, to which I put my case and explained the whole story. Anyway, finally CEDR found in our favour and forced TC to pay. Within literally a couple of days of CEDR's decision, I had a letter and cheque from TC for the full amount, £2566.59. 3000 Euros, 600 Euros for each passenger.

I have the whole story and responses if this information would be useful to anyone else. By rights, if we got paid out, then everyone else on the flight should be paid out too.

Any info you need please drop me a line on here or [EMAIL="steve.chase@otc-group.co.uk"]steve.chase@otc-group.co.uk[/EMAIL]

Regards

Steve
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Options
    Steve

Very good news indeed, I seem to recall TC had an Airbus A330 that had to have the right engine replaced three or four times in relatively quick succession after stalling prior to take off. As your incident was in September 2011, anyone else involved in the incident needs to act quickly as time expires after 6 years, which is only 3 months away.

I would also suggest you remove your personal email address to avoid being spammed to death by the likes of pension reviewers, the Windows technical department and endless 'research companies'!
  • emma1111111111
    Options
    |I may be writing this in the wrong place I'm a newbie looking for advice, Thomas cook have changed the dates of my holiday leaving my son now missing school and us having to take additional work days off... Any advice where I stand on this please?

Thanks
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Options
    This is probably not the right place as it doesn't sound like a cancellation that gives rights to compensation at all. I assume this is either July or the beginning of September both more than 14 days ahead which is the limit for compensation.

Talk to Thomas Cooks and see if they have flights on the day you want from a nearby airport, and if they do, ask for the cost of getting there. If there is nothing else, presumably because demand hasn't reached expected levels to make the flights viable (Turkey perhaps?) then ask what else they can offer to a different destination or look for a holiday with a different operator to the same destination and get a full refund from TC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure