hit by stolen car advice please

on Monday night my parked car was hit by a stolen car which police were chasing mine is almost certainly write off I was just after advice as to where I stand with insurance claim

Comments

• uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/road-traffic-accidents/road-accidents-uninsured-stolen-vehicles.htm

In effect it says;

if the stolen vehicle was identified and also insured then the insurer may pay out.

if not, you have to make a claim through the MIB.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Assuming you have comprehensive insurance then claim on your insurance policy, that's what it is there for.
  • yes I do have fully comprehensive but will it affect my no claims and renewal ?
  • the car was stopped by police at the end of the road I have the ref number the police have given me and passed that onto my insurers
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ljs2306 wrote: »
    yes I do have fully comprehensive but will it affect my no claims and renewal ?
    If your insurers can claim back all their costs from the other driver, then your NCD won't be affected. Otherwise, it will. Remember, it's a no claim discount, not a no blame discount.

Your future premiums may well be increased as well, as you are statistically a higher risk to them. It may not seem fair, but that's how it works.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If the stolen car had insurance held upon it, they will be liable for the loss.

The claim will be entered CUE database as soon as you contact the insurance company so you had no choice but to call your insurance or risk them canceling your policy.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    If the stolen car had insurance held upon it, they will be liable for the loss.

The claim will be entered CUE database as soon as you contact the insurance company so you had no choice but to call your insurance or risk them canceling your policy.

Even if the stolen car doesn't have insurance the police will have a surity against third party risks and this was a police accident.
  • Fat_Walt wrote: »
    Even if the stolen car doesn't have insurance the police will have a surity against third party risks and this was a police accident.

Total rubbish. The Police car didn't hit the OP's car, it was the stolen car that did so. The Police have no liability whatsoever in this case.
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Total rubbish. The Police car didn't hit the OP's car, it was the stolen car that did so. The Police have no liability whatsoever in this case.

You need to read the definition of an accident.
  • The term "accident" doesn't feature in legal pleadings or insurance claims. I presume the driver of the stolen vehicle negligently collided with the OP's parked vehicle. If that vehicle is insured, the insurers of the stolen vehicle have a duty under the RTA to settle the OP's third party claim.

If it's uninsured, the MIB will settle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport