No payment since 2010 still not defaulted

Hi everyone

On my credit report, I have an outstanding amount that has been marked as late payment since late 2010 (I was in a mess so most accounts around this time ended up defaulting and have since fallen off the file)

This account should have defaulted long before now - how can I have this removed?

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Is it a bank / credit card / loan?

What's the amount for?

Can you take a screenshot please (edit out any personal identifying info)

Which credit file is this showing up on? Have you checked the other 2 to see if ti's still showing up on there as well?

Has the company in question contacted you over the years to pay?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Hi everyone

I have a similar problem.

I recently discovered that I had an outstanding amount that has been marked as late payment since mid 2010 on my credit report. All my accounts have a good credit rating and have had no problem obtaining loans or credit cards in the past until last year.

I had an account with British Gas in 2009 and on switching to another energy supplier in 2010, I was given a final bill which I disputed.

The company and I agreed to a payment plan whilst the dispute was being investigated. After making 3 months payment, via the post office, (last date of payment 07.07.2010), I had still not received any correspondence from the company regarding resolution of the dispute and therefore stopped making the payments.

I did not receive any further communication regarding the debt since then and therefore considered it to be resolved and closed off. The remaining 'missed payments' did not seem to affect my credit rating as I have been able to obtain loans in this period until last year when I was rejected for a loan to fit a new kitchen! On investigating why, I found the account affecting my credit rating related to 'missed payments' for this energy supplier.

I queried this with the company and received a deadlock letter stating that "they were unable to come to a final agreement about your complaint and that it was unfortunate we couldn’t reach a mutually acceptable solution" i.e. the matter closed - the account would remain open until the balance is paid off and that it had always been on my credit reports as a late payment.

There is conflicting information held by the credit agencies in terms of the dates of the first late payment!

I queried this with British Gas and was informed that Equifax had only updated their records recently and that is why the late payment was showing the Oct 2012 date, but Experian had always shown this account as a late payment (which I believe is untrue). Unfortunately I can't prove this as Experian could not provide me with records dating back 6 years.

My queries are as follows:

• how long should open accounts with late payments remain on one's credit report - shouldn't the account have defaulted and therefore been removed from my file after 6 years?;
    • if open accounts remain on the credit report indefinitely, how do I improve my credit rating status as paying off the remaining balance would not resolve the history of this account?
    All advice will be greatly appreciated and apologies for the long post (but am at the end of my tether!!)

• rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There is no default until the company issues a default notice.

The payments are late until they are brought up to date. This is accurate and a matter of record.

Open accounts stay on reports until closed or defaulted for 6 years.

You can't force them to default you, you can't close the account until you clear the balance.

Your best bet is to pay them.

Even if they default you, you still owe them money. They could get a CCJ after 5 years 11 months and it then stays on your record for another 6 years and NEVER becomes statute barred.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2017 at 4:54PM
    Hi

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) guidelines say a default should be recorded on a debtor’s credit file after 3-6 months of arrears to show that the "relationship has broken down". Once an account is defaulted it will drop off a credit file 6 years after the initial default date.

http://www.scoronline.co.uk/sites/default/files/high_level_prinicples_document_final.pdf

In the case of both devils_vixen and Germany731 it sounds as though your accounts should have been marked as defaulted years ago and dropped off your files by now. If the creditors do not correct your credit files you should complain to the ICO.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) guidelines say a default should be recorded on a debtor’s credit file after 3-6 months of arrears to show that the "relationship has broken down". Once an account is defaulted it will drop off a credit file 6 years after the initial default date.

SHOULD be recorded, not MUST. Therefore they don't have to and why should someone who owes money and welches on their agreement be helped in any way by the person/organisation they owe money to?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure