Thursday 18th Sept - What small dfw things will you do today?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym .

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending .

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important. :money:
Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini

Comments

• I couldn't see the thread so hope I haven't missed it:o

Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Meals from stores
    4. Surveys
    5. Washing in machine and ready to go on line to dry
    6. Read free kindle book
    7. Free postcode lottery
    8. Watch tv recorded in week
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hello :hello:

Thanks for starting the thread Bagpuss :)

So far today I have:

Taken oranges out of freezer for marmalade making - I am down to the last jar, and OH won't survive if he runs out :rotfl:

Had haircut - not MS, but I haven't had it done for ages, and it feels SO much better :D

Walked rather than drove into town for this - free exercise, and saves petrol :)

Popped into sales unit and tidied up while I was out

Bought fly killer in the pound shop, as we seem to be inundated with huge, horrible flies for some reason :eek:

Bought hair dye in superdrug instead of having it done in the hairdresser's

Tidied up after looking after baby GD yesterday

Still to do:

More cleaning

Check banks

Pick more runner beans :eek:

Cook oranges for marmalade once they have thawed out - I will probably do the boiling with sugar bit tomorrow, but they have to be thoroughly cooked so that the peel is tender before this. I use any old oranges / citrus fruit, often the ones that have gone a bit tired looking in the fruit bowl. When I have a decent amount, I make marmalade :)

Make a Greek spinach and feta pie for supper

That will do for me today I think :)
  • Hello all
    Thanks Bagpuss for the start.

At work today earning not spending. Colleague who gives me a lift is not in today or tomorrow so my OH gave me and other lift sharer a lift and her OH is giving us a lift home.

All meals from home/stores/plan. Just had leftover jacket spud and chilli for lunch which was YUM. DawnW your post has reminded me that I have spinach in the freezer - I think I'll make something with that for tomorrow.

Have checked bank accounts, all is well. Need to fine tune budget for next month (OH's payday is 23rd). Have done well this month but there's always room for improvement..

Best wishes all x
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good Afternoon All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people. Dont forget we also have a small things on Facebook, if anyone wishes to join ;)

very grey, dull and cold here :( Son still at home, still no return call from school - am really disappointed he's only been there 2 weeks and was loving it. My healths not too good at the mo - have a shocking cough/sore throat and chest infection so only doing little bits and then resting. Todays activities:

Craft -
    Short walks with dog (we are dog sitting) -
    Continue "use it up campaign"
    List few bits for sale on FB -
    Check Banks -
    Check swapits -
    Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Enter a few comps -
    Sort emails (& unsubscribe where possible) -
    Nectar Adpoints -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Read book (from stash) - In progress - Martina Cole
    Check www.freepostcodelottery.com -

Have a great day, love to you all

C x

PS Thanks for all the help and support yesterday - much appreciated.
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Hello lovelies!!

Not a great long post for me today as it's my birthday!! Woohoo!!

I'm being treated to lunch by some of my lovely friends and having fake-away with OH tonight, as I'm working nights anyway!

We're off to Wales on the weekend. Mum and Dad are away, so we're crashing their house for free accommodation and food - a cheap weekend for us!

Have also sat down with a cuppa and started to make a list of some goals I want to achieve this year... I find it helps keep me focused and keep things in perspective!

Hope you all have a fab day!!

Lots of love,

Shoot
    :T DEBT FREE AS OF APRIL 2013! :T
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul"
  • Hi all :wave:

• Worked from home so saved £10 fuel
    • Went to library
    • Switched my current account to one that pays 5% interest :T
    • Posted my old mobile I sold on fleabay
    • Set up another DD on my halifax rewards account so I get my monthly £5
    • Left overs for tea for me and beans on toast for DS
    Go me lol
    Pay off Car Loan £17,047 £10580 by Christmas 2022

Mortgage 1 @ 23/03/2019 [STRIKE]£101297[/STRIKE]
    £84457 16.6% DI [STRIKE]£6.95[/STRIKE] £6.15
    Mortgage 2 @ 12/04/2015 [STRIKE]£136121[/STRIKE]
    £100,546 26.1
    % DI [STRIKE]£9.13[/STRIKE] £6.07
    1st LBM 02/06/2013 £[STRIKE]21595[/STRIKE] Debt Free Day 27/03/2015

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Evening Frugal Friends,
    A late one from me, as haven't felt too lively this afternoon.......hormones, the fat pigs!
    A few positive things though:
    *Shared hot bath tub to save a little bit of energy. Had to put heated airer on 1st thing as jeans hadn't dried but as soon as the mist cleared, it got switched off & pegged out on the line.
    *Gasman came to look at our dodgy boiler. Problem turned out to be the mixer tap! Much cheaper than a new boiler, thank goodness!
    *Sorted & froze the big basket of veg picked yesterday. Tweaked meal plans so as to factor in using lovely aubergine, which I did tonight with onions, garlic, basil, cheese & spaghetti. Nomnom!
    *Froze 2 pots of grapes for snacks.
    *Used £5 off voucher to order a plant I've been after for AGES for our garden. Was filling in order form when I realised I'll also be getting 50 free mini iris bulbs :-)
    *Still doing 'Use it up' - cut a body lotion bottle in half to get the last bit out, which is at least a week's worth.
    *Cleaned downstairs rooms using minimal products.
    *Mr f received £5 cash in the post for doing a survey.
    *Credit card bill arrived. Checked it to make sure my additional online payments had gone through. They had. Smaller bill than usual because the Savings Piggies are reducing what we spend on cards.....which has to be a Good Thing.
    *Free entertainment catching up with Series 1 of 'Peaky Blinders' before Series 2 starts shortly.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure