NSD's in Mar. Target 20. So far 21/20
    NSD's in April Target 20.. So far 20/20
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 February 2017 at 9:41AM
    NST February - A Winter Voyage

Welcome Aboard!!!

It be a cold night out tonight. I'm on-board, making last minute preparations before we set sail. It's just gone midnight - and I'm saying farewell to January. With the sunrise - a new day arrives, and we will voyage forth into February together. All of your cabins be ready... the decks have been swabbed and there be new sails for the trip ahead.

As you board today, and settle in, as Captain, I'd like to see:

1) A signature if you can
    2) Set your food and spends totals
    3) Set your NSD goal
    4) Post 3 things you are grateful for
    5) Briefly re-state your goal(s) for 2017. Are you on track?

In addition, there were a few (non compulsory) pre-voyage tasks that I hoped might be useful...

1) A stock take
    2) A clear out
    3) A 'Lucky Charm'

I'll write a bit more about those below in a moment. For today though - and the next few days, find your sea-legs. After that - I want you all to give it your best ok?

Fortune favours the brave…

Facing up to our financial issues takes courage. For anyone that has been in debt – it can feel like being in a whirlpool - which drags us down, and leaves us feeling helpless and at the mercy of our circumstances.

Breaking away first requires that we acknowledge we are stuck, and we may have to swallow our pride and ask for help. We are all here because we are either in that situation, or have been and/or are trying to teach ourselves new healthy financial habits that will enable us to continue to enjoy a life free from the burden of debt and hardship.

Know this. There is not one of you reading this that isn’t brave.

We are here now - looking into the face of our finances.
    We are choosing to go forward, and weather the storm
    We are choosing to take control and shape and create a brighter financial future for ourselves
    We are 'the brave'

Never lose sight of that.
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • abundant1972
    edited 1 February 2017 at 9:48AM
    So today we set sail, and with a fair wind and following sea, we’ll make good headway. Are you prepared for our voyage? Here are a few fun ways to help get your trip off to a good start.

1. Stock Take. If you haven’t already – See what you have in and what meals you can make out of your existing supplies. I found a website (http://organizedhome.com/printable/household-notebook/pantry-inventory) that has some free printable pantry/larder inventory lists and some for meal planning. If anyone has anything that works for them let us know! We don’t want food perishing on-board, batch cooking rations is excellent <we have a cold store> and if we have any budding chefs – a ship’s cook wouldn’t go amiss! Cheap, easy to make meals with a few ingredients are the order of the day.
    2. Out with the old Is there anything you can give to a new home? It occurred to me that this could be clothes, but could equally be old toys, DVDs, CDs or books etc. It could also be tins of food you found in your cupboard that you are never going to use. Lighten the load.
    3. A lucky charmHave you had chance to find yourself a good-luck charm? It’s not compulsory but you might find it fun and that it helps…
    Consider this...

At sea – before the days of GPS signals, sailors relied on the stars to navigate, along with their maps and a compass. Imagine if you will:
    • The stars as ‘the constant’ – you’re guiding light. They tell you where you are heading. This is your end goal. Is that to become debt free? Maybe to save for an Emergency Fund? You can apply it to other goals like losing weight too. No matter what storms we weather over the next month – that end goal will help stop you from becoming lost
    • Your map tells you how and when you'll get there. This is your Action Plan. This could be a written budget, a debt management plan, an exercise routine or a food diary. Whatever your goal – break it down. Need help? Ask away!
    • Your compass is your internal motivation and drive and is why you are putting in all the effort. Having a map and directions is all well and good – but unless you apply yourself and want to succeed they aren’t much use. This is where your lucky charm comes in for this month.
    It is easy at the start of a fresh month to be driven and clear – but as life washes over us, and the demands of work and family fill our mind – it’s easy to lose sight of our best intentions.

Your lucky charm is a visible, tangible reminder of the promise you – we – are all making to ourselves today. Keep it near you when you check in… look at it as you write your shopping list, and carry it with you when you go to buy your groceries… Let it help keep you on track…

A Sailor’s Charm

Our journey starts afresh, anew
    The seas be calm, the sky is blue
    We see our goals, shining bright
    The way is clear, the end in sight

The waves they roll and crash asunder
    The sky turns black, alive with thunder
    The rain pours down, a sheet of grey
    The light has gone, we lose our way

It’s then we grasp our Sailor’s Charm
    To bring us luck, and ward off harm
    To light our way, and find our mark,
    When seas are cruel, and skies are dark

Recall your goal afresh, anew
    It lights the way and keeps you true
    We shall not heed the siren’s call
    We will not falter, we will not fall

SmallCharm_SailorsMotto.png
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow abundant. I'm really inspired this month. Signature updated as ordered. I have my lucky charm - will be loading it with luck to loan to my husband for his exam on Wedneday. Then I'll have it back.

Stocktake - up to date. I'm doing the freezer/storecupboard challenge and working hard.

Charity - planning a clothing declutter in the next couple of days.

Budget - budgetted for February. Money moved to savings today.

Sailing onwards.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Pinch punch first of the month and no touch backs :)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 February 2017 at 11:08AM
    Good morning, me hearties.

Thanks for the great thread, Cap'n abundant.

I report for duty. My planned spends are £350 for provisions and £280 for spends (which include getting the guest cabin in the bow of the ship back in ship-shape condition and more storage included). Also accounted for in that is my birthday party. As we wanted to restart our “dinner club” this year I might start then but as a pot-luck-party (everybody brings a dish) to keep down costs rather then having a proper birthday bash.

I’ll sign up for two triathlons soon and training needs to start in earnest, hence the planned 20 training days. We (DH and me) stopped smoking on new years day and I only had one lapse (party with friends). Feel great for it but it is still a struggle some days to not give in. And the newly heightened sense of smell takes some getting used to.

This month we’ll be busy finishing off the guest bedroom (relieving it from textured wallpaper, adding coving and a radiator cover to make it look more presentable and less 80s. I will also start work on the top deck cabin where the powder monkey and cabin boy sleep. It needs total reorganisation from when they were babies esp to fit more toys in that at the moment live in the living room. I obviously don’t mind them playing downstairs but I want the living room to look more grown up again not like Toys’r’us. So, some major decluttering and sorting will be going on.

I hope I can save on grocery spends this month as the icebox in our galley is well stocked with leftover items from big dinners, lunches etc. Should only need 2 SD a week as usual, but might need the odd buying diy stuff day unless I can combine them. So I’ll aim for 18 SFDs.

DH is away Wednesday night and most of Thu (I took the day off), so I should get loads of the above mentioned done. Plus I can’t wait for some me time to be honest.

Ahoy, and off we sail

P.S. my lucky charm is a black matchbox Mazda that I had for 35 years. Pinched (borrowed) it from DS for the month. This used to be my favourite matchbox car and brings back font memories..
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • abundant1972
    edited 1 February 2017 at 11:10AM
    Ahoy Shipmates!

Well it occurred to me that as I have been so busy bossing everyone else around - I have yet to do my own review :D First off:

Today I am grateful for:
    • The inspiration for this month's post, and the postings of people previously
    • A day off today to get myself in gear
    • My first coffee of the day
    1) Signature :)
    2) Grocery* and Spend budgets :)
    3) NSD target (15) set :)
    4) Gratitude :)
    5) Goal Review (see below) :)

Goal Review:

1) Becoming Debt Free. £1850 remaining on 0% interest cards. Aim to clear by the end of September when interest free period expires. That means I have to pay £231.25 per month off. I need to increase the amount I have been paying.
    2) Exercise/Be healthy. Going well. Exercised 12 days last month so set aside £3 x 12 into my CASH BONUS fund for my birthday. Need to get better with meal plans and not buy too many treats in (as I just eat them all in one go or over a few days). Plan - shop on Wed for Sat treat, and over weekend for Wed treat.
    3) Mindfulness. Tailed off as month progressed. Have set sessions back to 10 mins and trying to do each morning. Walks - great success. Did one every week (included in my exercise totals above).
    4) Mortgage. Progressing slowly. Regular savings going out towards deposit. Not thought about where I want to be (avoiding looking at it). Need to tackle!
    5) Overcoming anxiety. Social Fund worked well. Went out and enjoyed myself. Have used up February's just because I was invited to a social at the end of Jan after payday. Almost cancelled, dreaded it - but had the best night. Will be setting aside a pot for this every month. Usual rule - if I don't use - I lose (give away).

Stock Take - to do today
    Clear Out - to do today
    Lucky Charm - Have a green crystal

Have a fantastic 01st February everyone!!! As I said - give yourselves the week to get up and running, and don't worry - we won't sail off and leave anyone behind!!!

Disclaimer:

I just want to say - although I work, I am (a) single with no family or kids to look after. (b) pretty reclusive due to anxiety issues and recovering from a bout of depression. (a) + (b) = Lots of time on my hands!!! (c) I am slightly OCD lol.

I know I colour my posts and waffle on. That's what works for me and makes me happy. It's my creative outlet and keeps me focussed. I am not for one minute expecting the same from everyone. You give to this challenge what time you can, and your posts and page are your own. As long as you check in I'm happy.
    :)

Now get up the rigging and get to work you swabbies!!!

;)
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Oh, yes, forgot sth too.

Today I'm grateful for

1) this great motivational thread and the people on it
    2) the internet, so I shop around for the best deals on my diy needs
    3) a warm jumper, the office is freezing
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mind the Iceberg - Massive Post Alert ;)

Signature has been updated :)

Still looking for a suitable lucky charm :)

Stocktake will be done this evening :)

Clear out - DS has had a growth spurt so will be having a look through his clothes to see what can be donated :)

Spends - £400 :eek: This is to cover a takeaway for DH birthday on Saturday for us three and the DPIL which we will pay for, tickets for Lego Movie in 3D and a kids treat box for DS, 1 trip to the swimming baths, all meals and spends for a 3 day mini cruise to Amsterdam for 2 adults and 1 child. Any other spends on drinks at DS matches etc. will go in here.

Home Improvements - £500: Painter and decorator for 3 rooms, paint for DS room, white emulsion, a poster, frame and a new light fitting for DS room and 4 knobs for his wardrobe. This will be 3 rooms of our new house completed :j

Food Budget - £320 : Spent £68.99 already on a meat hamper and F&V box to be delivered today. Bearing in mind my spends last month were more like £600 :shocked: :mad: this will be a real challenge but unless I get this area of my budget sorted the rest of it goes to pieces and I can't achieve the rest of my goals. I will do a stocktake tonight when DH is at gym and I know what veg has come in the box.

I have paid to my debt first this month, including a big OP to CC. I have also topped our savings back up to cover the amount we spent last month and will aim to save another £200 to put me where I need to be to achieve my 2017 savings goal.

Revisit 2017 goals:

1) Save £1000 - back on track if I can save a further £200 this month
    2) Clear £20,000 in debt - will aim to have a total of £2000 paid off by end of Feb
    3) Change my diet - 2 false starts in Jan but have had a bit of an epiphany and am focussed on this again. Will be on the body coach 90 day sss plan - cycle 1 until 5th March and have meal planned until then. DH's diet plan set by the gym ends this weekend so he needs to decide how he wants to eat going forward so we both achieve our goals
    4) Fitness - attended all PT sessions, ran for the first time since last year, attended a class with a friend and signed up for a months classes in Feb
    5) Stop overspending on food - massive fail in Jan :(

February Goals

1) Stick to eating plan 1/23
    2) Attend a minimum of 8 classes in Feb (on top of 2 PT/WK) 1/8
    3) Run once a week 0/4
    3) Raise an extra £150 income
    4) Pay £1380 off debt £1198/£1380
    5) Arrange to visit Mum/Mum to visit
    6) Shop at Lidl/aldi, meal plan, batch cook, use up stores and achieve grocery budget for once in my life

P.S. I don't normally spend this much or have this much money available! It's because I got a bonus at the end of Jan :o

Today I am grateful for:

1) Some me time this evening to make a start on my February plans
    2) The surprisingly low quote from the painter enabling us to get the work done in budget
    3) DS excitement about his first free music lesson today
    4) Friend offering to help with child care during half term so DS can attend a club
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Quickie from me;

Today is not a NSD as I've had to pick up a few bits from SM and I've got football tonight.

Should be sorted for the rest of the week though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure