Evans Halshaw - has anyone been able to get money off?

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    missile wrote: »
    Evans Halshaw is the last place I would go to buy a car.

This too, you only need to do a little forum searching to find out why.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    If the salesman sees that "I want this car" look in your eyes, you won't get him to budge on price.

Totally true!

In most cases sales executives / people are paid a very low basic and instead get big commission, in another life I used to run a dealership so I really do know. (Worked my way from sales to BM then GM.) It could be structured on profit or number of units they sell or both.

But there will always be room for a deal. The used car market is not in the best shape at the moment so they really will want a deal.

Don't forget these guys are trained to be able sell you are not, but you have the ultimate power as you have the money and the internet. Shop around. There is nothing worse for a sales person than a customer who produces an internet print out of cheaper cars! But guess what at least then they will move on price!
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Ransoman
    Ransoman Posts: 87 Forumite
    I once viewed a car from them. It was a 4 year old Fiat Grande Punto Sporting. Nice car in the spec i wanted and competitivly priced.

On the test drive the Odometer was flashing (signalling a body computer fault) and the engine had no power at all, it was slower than the more basic 8v punto I had tested earlier in the day. When i got back to the dealer i pulled the dipstick out and the oil was jet black. I had never seen oil that black on a petrol car before.

I asked the salesman when it was last serviced, he pulled out the service book and said, quite casually, "It hasn't".

4 years old, 25K+ miles and never been serviced? "not a problem" he said, It will be serviced when it sold. I asked if he would be willing to move on the price because of this. "Not at all" he said so i walked away.

If anyone bought that car i doubt it would last very long.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Ransoman wrote: »
    I once viewed a car from them. It was a 4 year old Fiat Grande Punto Sporting. Nice car in the spec i wanted and competitivly priced.

On the test drive the Odometer was flashing (signalling a body computer fault) and the engine had no power at all, it was slower than the more basic 8v punto I had tested earlier in the day. When i got back to the dealer i pulled the dipstick out and the oil was jet black. I had never seen oil that black on a petrol car before.

I asked the salesman when it was last serviced, he pulled out the service book and said, quite casually, "It hasn't".

4 years old, 25K+ miles and never been serviced? "not a problem" he said, It will be serviced when it sold. I asked if he would be willing to move on the price because of this. "Not at all" he said so i walked away.

If anyone bought that car i doubt it would last very long.

That's what I've always found. Not interested in any bargaining, 100% of the time they'll let the customer walk away, and just move onto the next one. I don't know anyone who has got anything out of a car supermarket on price. One car I looked at (similar story to the above) even finished going to an auction, rather than consider an offer.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mikey72 wrote: »
    That's what I've always found. Not interested in any bargaining, 100% of the time they'll let the customer walk away, and just move onto the next one. I don't know anyone who has got anything out of a car supermarket on price. One car I looked at (similar story to the above) even finished going to an auction, rather than consider an offer.

thats because no motor trader wants to sell a car to a moaning minnie like you
    at least we are now getting to the real reason you hate the motor trade
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    s_b wrote: »

I don't hate the motor trade. I've just never met anyone selling cars that was likeable. I'm sure someone loves you though. Maybe.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    s_b wrote: »
    mikey72 wrote: »
    I don't hate the motor trade. I've just never met anyone selling cars that was likeable. I'm sure someone loves you though. Maybe.

You have to admit you can tell a car salesman a mile away, they're always smarmy looking gits with slicked back hair and a constant suntan, they're either wearing a suit or a long dark/black Arthur Daley style coat.

Most dislikeable......
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    You have to admit you can tell a car salesman a mile away, they're always smarmy looking gits with slicked back hair and a constant suntan, they're either wearing a suit or a long dark/black Arthur Daley style coat.

Most dislikeable......

No sorry think you are wrong! Well at least the good ones. When i worked in the motor trade no-one knew. The sad thing was that because everyone has an opinion about sales people I used to say i was a receptionist. Sad really even when I was GM next door just thought I had moved into accounts!

Not every sales person is Arthur Daley!
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • borgman
    borgman Posts: 188
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been considering changing to newer Mondeo (mine has 88k on clock) Evans Halshaw are someone I considered. But not after hearing of some of the bad experiences here. But how do you choose where to buy a car from?? Who can you be sure is a trustworthy garage ?
    R
  • Sales people vary, if you go to a glass palace owned by a chain you'll likely as not get the corporate clone reading from the company hymn sheet.

Go to a smaller family owned business who want regular customers who will return time and again, you'll get family business sales and top class after service...you find the staff are usually long term too in all depts.

The second type is the only main dealer i would buy from.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure