Electricity Mix Up

Options
Hi all,

Hoping you can help me here.

I live immediately next door to my ex tenant who moved out a month or so ago (owing me several thousands but that is another story).

Since they have departed, I have had their electricity company (let's call them X) in contact with me because they owe around £2k in electricity.

It has since come to light that that the company X have been reading the wrong meter - they have been reading my meter which would explain why, for the past few years, I have not received a bill.

The house which the tenant have been living in have been supplied electricity by company Y and company Y is the company who I thought were supplying me with electricity.

I guess it would therefore appear that the property which the tenant were living in is registered twice on the electricity database and it would also explain why when I have written to company Y, they have never returned any coorrespondance to me.

What is the best thing to do here?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    So it is seems that you owe £2,000 to Company X for electricity supplied to your property??

Did your tenant pay Company Y for his electricity, or does he owe them as well?

If the opening paragraph of this post is correct, then you owe Company X the £2,000, or for the past 6 years if less.

However:

There is a possibility that you might get away with only paying for the last 12 months electricity consumption under the back-billing provision of the Billing Code.

This will come down to an interpretation of that code. Presumably Company X produced bills, albeit sent them to an incorrect address; which is not the fault of the company if the meter is registered to an incorrect address.

Under the code it is incumbent on you to take steps to ensure that you pay for electricity consumed. To have paid nothing 'for the past few years' could be construed as you did not take reasonable steps to investigate.

One way or another you need to sort it out quickly with Company X. If you don't agree, the debt is likely to be passed to a Debt Collection Agency(DCA) with all the hassle that entails.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure