Comments

• Toxteth_OGrady
    Toxteth_OGrady Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lexis200 wrote:
    Trend's Housecall is online, and scans and clean for free
    JDPower wrote:
    BitDefender is currently the best of the online scanners and will remove anything it finds:

Numbers 16 and 3 respectively in the original post list.

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Numbers 16 and 3 respectively in the original post list.
    I know but I was responding to this "Only panda i can recall use to previously scan and clear. So which ones scan and clear?", not just repeating a recommendation :rolleyes:
  • Lexis200
    Lexis200 Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tali

Have you tried clicking on the Change Kernel link and swapping from the Java kernel to the other one (can't remember what that is called at the moment)?

Also you could try clearing your cache, and also deleting the following folder C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\.housecall6.6 as it may be a corrupt file in there.
    Originally Posted by tali
    as for bitdefender - well this is by win antitispyware ? - who have plagued and persistently attacked me with dodgy looking "your pc is at risk" pop ups -surely not to be trusted?

BitDefender is owned by SoftWin. Remember that malware comes in many forms, and some use the "goodwill" of other companies for their own gain. If I was trying to get you to click on my "dodgy" site, I could call myself "win Antitispyware" (sic) make a popup and say on it that your PC is infected and that by clicking on the "bitDefender" logo, you can get it cleaned... doesn't mean I'm affiliated in any way with BitDefender, and the link might take you to a site that plants a trojan horse or similar and steal all your personal information MWAH HA HA ("then I'll hold it ransom for... 1 meeelion pounds...") :)

Erm... back to reality now...
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
  • traderonline
    Options
    I use Bitdefender online scanner apart from my current virus scanner (AVG) for additional security.
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • boxedagency
    Options
    This one by Trend works with FireFox

~YES ! i use them aswell...great chaps.

I have found other links here with some spyware tools aswell:

http://www.pixelfactor.org/?cat=26
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi guys, I am a technical idiot, however I ran one of your recommended protection sites and even though I still had Norton running at the time, it detected 150 spyware thingys and a trojan and various other nasty things. I only know this because my daughter told me, how can this be possible, should I never buy Norton, will I renew my subcription? I dont think so. Thanks to Toxteth for his advice and to all others who have posted
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • skiddy2k
    skiddy2k Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Options
    teedy23 wrote: »
    hi guys, I am a technical idiot, however I ran one of your recommended protection sites and even though I still had Norton running at the time, it detected 150 spyware thingys and a trojan and various other nasty things. I only know this because my daughter told me, how can this be possible, should I never buy Norton, will I renew my subcription? I dont think so. Thanks to Toxteth for his advice and to all others who have posted
    Depends on what/where it found the spyware... If they are cookies, then they're not malicious and as a result, many antivirus vendors do not include them in their detections.
    If they're simply registry keys which were detected (some count each key as another infection), then these are relatively not malicious (providing the file the keys relate to does not exist) and again, many antivirus vendors do not include these in their detections either.
  • skiddy2k
    skiddy2k Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Options
    sistersis wrote: »
    I have AVG on my computer but I seem to be going really slow and I am sure i am not imagining it but my mouse arrow seems to have a mind of it's own!!
    Do i need to use anything else with AVG or should this do all the anti virus stuff!
    How do I know if I have Trojans or Worms or anything else affecting the performance of my machine.
    Many thannks
    >Create a new thread and post a hijackthis log
    >Do an online scan with another antivirus if you're wondering if you have malware which isnt detected by AVG
  • judderman62
    judderman62 Posts: 5,134 Forumite
    Options
    Norton is a pathetic Joke

Best are:

Steganos/Kaspersky (same thing really)
    Nod32

oh and we're getting a tad off topic here - thread is about ON LINE virus scanners
    Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • Lexis200
    Lexis200 Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Careful everybody, the link posted above (to av-free) is to a sponsored links page... there's no actual AV software there, just links to others (including norton and mcaffee (sic), and clicking on any of the links just makes somebody money rather than giving you anything useful. Also PC Zone is primarily a gamers magazine rather than a "serious" mag... I'm not knocking PC Zone one little bit, it's just that going through their website, I can't find a single thing about anti virus tests.

If you want an unbiased product test, try here http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/155/antivirus-software/products.html.

They reckon Kaspersky for paid AV, and Avira for free AV. Kaspersky also has an online scanner at http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner.

HTH
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure