Ryanair - Small Claims Court help

2»

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LemonTree wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies. I've checked with my sister and can add more details on this. The original flight was scheduled for 8pm in the evening. After some delay notifications she was finally informed that the flight was canceled around midnight. The next regular flight from that airport would have been three days afterwards. Therefore she insisted to be transfered to the next available flight to her destination (Dublin).
    Since she asked to be transfered is she still eligible to get the taxi fare reimbursed? Also, do you think she is eligible for a further compensation?

Yes, Ryanair were obliged to get her from the original airport to her final destination, and that includes the taxi from one airport to another.

Additional compensation would depend upon the reason for the incident, but since her flight was cancelled and as a result she reached her destination more than three hours after the original arrival time, it is probable that she can claim.
  • I have to revive this thread.

I've sent off a letter before action to Ryanair notifying them about my intentions of initializing a small claims court procedure recently. Now, Ryanair claims that the cancellation of the flight was because of
    circumstances outside of their control and as such no monetary compensation is due under Article 7 of EU261/2004

Does anyone know where I can check whether this claim is true or not? Is there some authority keeping track of these "circumstances"?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If we look at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0261:EN:HTML

and look at recitals 14 and 15

(14) As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier.

(15) Extraordinary circumstances should be deemed to exist where the impact of an air traffic management decision in relation to a particular aircraft on a particular day gives rise to a long delay, an overnight delay, or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft, even though all reasonable measures had been taken by the air carrier concerned to avoid the delays or cancellations.

It appears Ryanair haven't detailed the reasonable measures that were taken to avoid the cancellation.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • LemonTree wrote: »
    My sister got screwed by Ryanair. She was supposed to fly from Memmingen (Munich, Germany) to Dublin. However, just one hour before departure Ryanair kept delaying the flight. After 3 hours of delaying Ryanair told her that the plane would now leave from Frankfurt Hahn instead - so a totally different airport 400 km away (about 250 miles). In order to get there in time she had to take a taxi sharing with two other people. The total fare for the taxi was 450 EUR - her share is 150 EUR. Now, Ryanair refuses to pay the 150 EUR.

She lives in Germany and not in Ireland.
    Can she still take Ryanair to the Irish Small claims court?
    Or would it be better to use the German Small claims court (the so-called "Gerichtliches Mahnverfahren")?

Thanks!

Just wanted to say sorry to hear your sister got screwed
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    LemonTree wrote: »
    I have to revive this thread.

I've sent off a letter before action to Ryanair notifying them about my intentions of initializing a small claims court procedure recently. Now, Ryanair claims that the cancellation of the flight was because of

Does anyone know where I can check whether this claim is true or not? Is there some authority keeping track of these "circumstances"?

Even if cancellation is beyond their control, although no compensation is due, assistance is. ie meals, accom and transport to + from airport.
  • Even if cancellation is beyond their control, although no compensation is due, assistance is. ie meals, accom and transport to + from airport.
    By any chance, do you have any link for this? In particular, regarding reimbursement for transportation costs in case of cancellation beyond Ryanair's control? So far, Ryanair is only willing to cover half of the costs of my transportation for the cancelled flight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure