Halifax PPI complaint taking ages

Hi,

I made a complaint on resolver tools to many banks at the same time back in Sep 2017. Barclays, Barclaycard, mbna and Halifax. All the others were resolved(ish) meaning, I got pay outs or rejections. Halifax is the only one, I only had an aknowlagment letter and nothing else. I phoned many times chasing progress but I always hear the same script saying it's still pending investigation but no reasons why or how long it's likely to take. I'm about to raise it to the FOS but was wondering if anyone experience that and any outcomes in cases like that.

Please help!!! I'm losing it with them :eek:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm about to raise it to the FOS

Hold off for the moment. If you go to the FOS, you reduce your chances of an auto-payout and you go to the back of another queue.

Be a bit more patient. Its a busy time for complaints since the Plevin ruling.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • It's been 17 weeks since I sent my first complaint, do you think the reason of the delay is only backlog of cases. Their letter of aknolagment said 6 weeks for an outcome and yet nothing, Isn't that a good enough reason for escalation?.

I'll take your advice and maybe go to a halifax branch and see what they say before I send it.

Thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It's been 17 weeks since I sent my first complaint, do you think the reason of the delay is only backlog of cases.

It is impossible to say but most of the large firms have been taking longer since Plevin started.
    Isn't that a good enough reason for escalation?.

You can escalate it any time. However, it reduces the odds of an auto-payout.
    I'll take your advice and maybe go to a halifax branch and see what they say before I send it.

Branches are not allowed to get involved with complaints in progress.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nadinerym wrote: »
    I phoned many times chasing progress but I always hear the same script saying it's still pending investigation but no reasons why or how long it's likely to take.
    This is a frustrating exercise and you will never be given any additional information unless you happen to call when your complaint has been dealt with.

At the moment the banks are snowed under because of the Plevin ruling. Telephoning their call centre "many times" is therefore futile. You just need to be patient.
    Nadinerym wrote: »
    I'll take your advice and maybe go to a halifax branch and see what they say
    Going to an actual branch will be even more futile than telephoning their call centre. All the Branch staff will do is refer you to the call centre!

17 weeks is a long time and you are well within your rights to refer your case to the Ombudsman Service. However, doing this will just mean your complaint enters yet another queue to be dealt with.

You've at least had an acknowledgement of your complaint from the Bank so you know it's been received.
  • Thank you all for your kind reply, I feel more so supported.

I only suggested to go to a branch because when I asked for info about when the account was opened and policy duration, I was told to go to Halifax bank and ask. With Barclays one phone call was enough to sort the lot out. I had accounts, policy numbers details and even figures of premium paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure