Private pension - council rent after retirement

Hi. My first time posting so forgive any faux pas!

I'm a single male council tenant (yes, a rare thing). Age 55, followed advice to contract out about 25 years ago.

Will my council rent be paid for me once I retire, or will it have to come out of my private pension? If it does, as my pot is almost useless anyway and I'm looking at a beans and toast lifestyle at best, can I get back to a place where my rent would be paid by the state? That would at least make beans and toast affordable.

Thanks,
Karben

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 January 2018 at 10:13PM
    You will possibly be entitled to benefits dependant on your income be that from employment or pension. When are you intending to retire, if before state pension age access to those benefits may be limited.
  • wullie
    wullie Posts: 118 Forumite
    Have you thought of buying your house with the right to buy scheme ? I'm almost your age and thought it was too late , but managed it .
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    karben wrote: »
    can I get back to a place where my rent would be paid by the state?

You mean "by the taxpayer". But why should I pay your rent?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you obtained a new state pension statement?

Are you currently contributing to a pension?

Your eligibility for means tested benefits will depend on......your means?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    karben wrote: »
    .... can I get back to a place where my rent would be paid by the state? That would at least make beans and toast affordable/....

Thanks,
    Karben
    Are you saying the state pays your rent at the moment? Why should they carry on paying it forever?

I always mention this in the debate over renting vs buying a house. If you rent, then you had better put more money into a pension to continue paying rent into your old age.

Don't forget your state pension. Possibly the best thing to do with a small pension pot is to dear i in the years running up to state pension in effect giving you the state pension amount a little earlier.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Currently it is unlikely that your rent will continue to be paid whether or not you retire. You will be changed to Universal Credit and be expected to pay the rent out of that. After you reach state retirement age you would get the higher Pension Credit rather that Universal Credit.
  • Thanks for all your helpful replies. Apols for the delayed ack but I work long shifts. If the council paid my rent now, I wouldn't need to!

Your collective replies tell me in which direction I need to seek personal advice - thanks. It seems the answer lies with means testing and state pension, not private, and entitlement to benefits and means testing. I feel better already!

Buying isn't an option - I'm in the London area so it would take a small fortune to do so, even with the max discount I'm entitled to. Maybe I should marry an heiress. Or maybe I shouldn't have taken out a private pension - all that funding could have bought my place 15 years ago.

Cheers,
    Karben
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    If you're claiming housing benefit or UC with a housing element now it's unlikely you'll be worse off when you retire, you'll either still get housing benefit if on a low income or pension credit will include a housing element. Benefits are more generous for pensioners. Though obviously if you get a pension, that will count as income which could reduce your benefits - but overall I doubt you'll be worse off. But who knows what changes will be made to the benefits system by then.

To give you an idea check on https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/
  • karben
    karben Posts: 5 Forumite
    Just seen your post zagfles. Ta. For clarification, I'm working FT and not claiming any benefits, pay 100% of my rent myself, and expect this to continue until at least age 65 if my health holds out. My private pension pot is worth somewhere around 60k - peanuts.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your private pension may be peanuts but how much would your right to buy be? Having to pay rent once retired is becoming the biggest problem faced by retirees & can have a significant effect on their futures & not just financial futures but their health too. I know that if I had to pay rent I would not be able to have kind of life I have now & would not have the "peace & security" that I have (as long as the roof doesn't blow off in the latest gale).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure