Being hassled by EDF to install smart meter, but no signal for it to use

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't see EDF paying for that, even if it's them that wants the smart meter.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just put the EDF letters in the bin, they are lying to you, if you don't need a smart meter then (like me) don't have one. I'm perfectly able to read my meters every month, have done for ten years and I know if a light is turned on it will cost me money. Simple life.
  • Pete9501
    Pete9501 Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    They can remotely turn off the power, but I can imagine that any supplier that did that would lose customers very quickly.

Ooh that's a bit 1984 :eek:
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 July 2017 at 2:25PM
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    There's nothing in any of the smart meters that are now being rolled out, nor in the next generation ones, that will control which appliances you can use.

They can remotely turn off the power, but I can imagine that any supplier that did that would lose customers very quickly.

This is just a spurious suggestion designed to scare people as it's not significantly different to a PayGo meter running out of leccy or gas if you don't put money into it.

One could actually see it as an advantage as I guess you could phone at 3am with a credit or debit card and get your leccy turned back on, rather than waiting for the Post Off or Co-op to open before you could go out to recharge the key or get a voucher (dunno how they do it nowadays). A remotely controlled meter would be a big benefit to some people.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    If the OP has no mobile signal on any network, then how is a mobile wi-fi hotspot going to work?

SMETS 2 meters do not need a mobile network to work. The meters create a mesh called a Wide Area Network. Meter readings will just pass along the mesh until they reach a meter that can connect to the Data Communications Company.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is for those readers who still insist on believing that so called 'smart meters' are being introduced to save consumers money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4725424/Government-brings-new-energy-rules.html
  • matelodave
    Options
    If it's in the DM then it must be true
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    If it's in the DM then it must be true

Strangely, I nearly added a comment to my original post that some lost soul would possibly come along and unable to address the issue of the lies being peddled by the smart meter manufacturers, politicians and energy companies, would have a cheap shot at the source.

But I though to myself, no - no one here would be that crass.
  • matelodave
    edited 25 July 2017 at 10:08PM
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Strangely, I nearly added a comment to my original post that some lost soul would possibly come along and unable to address the issue of the lies being peddled by the smart meter manufacturers, politicians and energy companies, would have a cheap shot at the source.

But I though to myself, no - no one here would be that crass.

A smart meter wont switch off your freezer - you'd need an internet coupled freezer or some other way to have it linked to the network. So you'd have to buy one that actually did it.

So unless the Govt are going to give us all remote controlled freezers or devices then I don't see how it's going to be forced.

As I said DM and other conspiracy theorists going off half !!!! again.

Is it really any different from having off-peak tariffs to encourage people to use energy during the night or other times of low demand. Most E7 meters are switched by teleswitch
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport