Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik

Comments

• Signed up for their fixed deal in on 6 Sept 17, supplied all info they requested and they confirmed that the DD was set up. At the end of Oct 17 after I called them to enquire if the switch had been made they requested my Mpan number which I provided by the next day. One day later I received an email stating that the tariff I signed up for was no longer available and they were searching for new tariff for me.

I have sent back an email demanding they honour our contract with no reply. Meanwhile I'm left on a very expensive British Gas variable rate.
  • SerialRenter
    SerialRenter Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2018 at 7:31AM
    EDIT: Switched away from Tonik now, no more referral code i'm afraid!
    No complaints about their service, although their website can be a little slow at times.

Sent you a PM kfdub. [STRIKE]Anyone else thinking of switching feel free to send me a PM and i'll give you the referral code.[/STRIKE]

I've just finished switching to them, so far they seem ok, the switch was about the same as other companies, signed up on the 13th of October and had the first direct debit on the 3rd if November.
    I haven't tried their customer services yet, so i can't comment on that.
    *Assuming you're in England or Wales.
  • Greetings, all, and thanks for your thoughts about switching to Tonik from someone who's just finished skimming I mean reading through the Ts&Cs!

Has anyone been entangled with T&C 18.1:
    "18.1 Tonik Energy is not a Green Deal Licensee under the Green Deal
    Arrangements Agreement. We are therefore prohibited from Supplying
    electricity to any Property that has a Green Deal in place. If this is the case You will be asked to contact another supplier which is a Green Deal Licensee for Your electricity Supply."

I wonder if this prohibits anyone joining Tonik if they have solar panels? We've had solar panels for three or four years and switched electricity and gas suppliers half a dozen or so times without coming across any such statement. (Having solar panels means the electricity supplier at the time of switch-on has to pay the home-owner for the energy generated, even if they switch to some other supplier.)

I've emailed Tonik to ask about this, but don't know how long they take to respond!

All the best, all, from snowy Birmingham (apparent home of Tonik too!) - Eric
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    EricDeeson wrote: »
    Greetings, all, and thanks for your thoughts about switching to Tonik from someone who's just finished skimming I mean reading through the Ts&Cs!

Has anyone been entangled with T&C 18.1:
    "18.1 Tonik Energy is not a Green Deal Licensee under the Green Deal
    Arrangements Agreement. We are therefore prohibited from Supplying
    electricity to any Property that has a Green Deal in place. If this is the case You will be asked to contact another supplier which is a Green Deal Licensee for Your electricity Supply."

I wonder if this prohibits anyone joining Tonik if they have solar panels? We've had solar panels for three or four years and switched electricity and gas suppliers half a dozen or so times without coming across any such statement. (Having solar panels means the electricity supplier at the time of switch-on has to pay the home-owner for the energy generated, even if they switch to some other supplier.)

I've emailed Tonik to ask about this, but don't know how long they take to respond!

All the best, all, from snowy Birmingham (apparent home of Tonik too!) - Eric

My understanding of what was once the Green Deal is that the ‘improvements’ were paid for out of the savings accrued via payments to the supplier. For example, buy a condensing boiler which reduces gas consumption by 20% leading to a saving of £100 per year. The £100 then be used to repay the Green Deal loan for the new boiler. I cannot see how having solar panels that are paid for by the consumer or via a Bank loan will be a bar to switching to Tonik.
  • Thanks, Hengus, very much. So I was right not to expect such a rapid response from Tonik....

Anyone have a different understanding, please?

Cheers - Eric
  • System
    EricDeeson wrote: »
    Thanks, Hengus, very much. So I was right not to expect such a rapid response from Tonik....

Anyone have a different understanding, please?

Cheers - Eric

No problem. Bear in mind that your supply and generation contracts are separate. I switch frequently and no supplier has ever asked if I have PV Solar. EDF continues to pay my FIT payments.
  • brizzie_2
    brizzie_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 21 December 2017 at 7:33PM
    I thought I had switched to Tonik with 6 weeks to go before being pushed onto a variable tariff. I had a reference number and the direct debit appeared on my bank account. But I kept getting emails from the existing supplier that made it clear they had no switching instructions. I rang Tonik to see what was happening - nothing it seems, no idea why, a back end glitch, they would investigate. Then silence for the best part of a week so I checked again and it seems they have no news and will get back to me when they have. So have cancelled the switch and started the process again with another supplier and with only 4 working days left. Pointless, useless company with employees who can't resolve issues, and I will doubtless be out of pocket due to not having a new tariff in place. Do yourselves a favour and stay clear.
  • System
    brizzie wrote: »
    So have cancelled the switch and started the process again with another supplier and with only 4 working days left.

I am not sure how this is in anyway relevant? Energy switches/transfers do not stop over Christmas and New Year. The process of initiating an energy transfer is now almost 100% automated. Yes, things can go wrong as there are many sub agencies involved so the failed transfer may not necessarily be the fault of your chosen supplier. That said, suppliers should have processes in place to monitor the transfer.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why was your old supplier emailing you. How long after switching did you contact them. Mind you they are a small organisation, I think, when I phoned up as BG had told me one supply was being switched but not the other they did confirm that requests for both had been sent. I contacted BG back who confirmed both will be switched. Your new switch will probably take another 3-4 weeks.
  • I am not sure how this is in anyway relevant?

It is relevant to me and my switch. The existing tariff ends on 31 December. With such a limited amount of time left it is reassuring to be able to call to check everything is OK and for a human to fix things if not. Suppliers should be monitoring transfers, yes, and their staff should be empowered to fix things when they go wrong. That isn't the case with Tonik. The failings are human so the assertion that almost 100% of energy transfers are automated is immaterial in this case. Either a human employed by the Tonik did not specify the need for an exceptions list to be built into their automated processes, or humans are not reading and dealing with the exceptions list. Suppose the problem was further down the line (outside Tonik) and another human at another supplier had to manually resolve it. I would need that human to be working. The number of working days left is relevant.
    Why was your old supplier emailing you. How long after switching did you contact them.

The old supplier was emailing me because I hadn't taken out a new contract with them and they had not had instructions to switch elsewhere. When I signed up with Tonik they said they would write to me in about 3 weeks when everything was sorted out. I gave them the 3 weeks and a couple more days as I was away on business before the first call and it is a little over a month now and they still had no answers and hadn't moved the switch one bit.The only thing they had successfully done is set up a direct debit to take the money.

Last night I switched (again) to ESB. This morning I had a welcome pack from ESB, an email from ExtraEnergy confirming they had received an instruction to switch, and a reassuring phone call with a human to confirm everything was running smoothly and there were no glitches in the switch application. All seems very promising so far.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback