Dismissed - what next

I was dismissed from my job 2 days ago due to absence. There was no issues with my performance whatsoever, however I had had three instances of absence (all with a GP's note) for work-related stress within 6 months.

I also have an issue with my manager as he appears to have been sharing personal information with other colleagues. After I was dismissed I was told by a colleague that another colleague had already been aware that my manager was planning to dismiss me before it had happened, and had said my manager had told him this.

There have been lots of other occurrences that I consider to be unfair and unjust and I have written a three page letter of appeal to them today.

However, I am wondering if, in the mean time I would be entitled to JSA?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Sounds like you dodged a bullet to me. Three instances of work-related stress in your first six months...I think you're better off somewhere else ! Try another employer in the same sector, see if they are any better. In the first 2 years, an employer can literally sack you for anything.

To put in context, as an employee for company for over ten years, if I had three instances of absence over six-months (equating to six a year), I'd be in serious trouble.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Katlou wrote: »
    I was dismissed from my job 2 days ago due to absence. There was no issues with my performance whatsoever, however I had had three instances of absence (all with a GP's note) for work-related stress within 6 months.

I also have an issue with my manager as he appears to have been sharing personal information with other colleagues. After I was dismissed I was told by a colleague that another colleague had already been aware that my manager was planning to dismiss me before it had happened, and had said my manager had told him this.

There have been lots of other occurrences that I consider to be unfair and unjust and I have written a three page letter of appeal to them today.

However, I am wondering if, in the mean time I would be entitled to JSA?

It depends on a number of issues and DWP typically have their own policies.

I do have a few questions though (and it's better to not send the letter yet, if you haven't already done so)

How long had you worked there?
    When you say personal information, do you mean that you would be dismissed? Because a manager reallocating work would be fairly appropriate in such circumstances.
  • Katlou
    Katlou Posts: 12
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had been planning to leave anyway but when we had the meeting they would not let me resign and said it was too late as they were dismissing me. I do not want the job back but I certainly would like an apology.

He shared the information that he was planning to dismiss me before we had even had the meeting to discuss it. This is not the first time he has shared personal information, I have had colleagues tell me private information about other employees that they have obtained from my manager. I am now extremely concerned that he may share personal information I have told him.

Another issue is that I requested a flexible working request which was suggested by an occupational health doctor and this was turned down, even though other people were allowed this.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 December 2017 at 11:52AM
    Look for a new job, work on what was causing the stress (try counselling for instance if it helps).

What do you want to happen? Doesn't sound like you have any chance of getting your job back, and it sounds like it was making you ill anyway. Move on!

Edit, just saw your recent post. You won't get an apology as that will be an admission of guilt (highley unlikely anyway). And you don't work there anymore, so what does it matter what they say? Try and put it behind you, focus on a new, healthier future.
  • Katlou
    Forumite
    I am happy to move on. My question is whether I will be entitled to JSA.
  • Katlou
    Forumite
    Also to put this into context, more than half of the department has also been off long term with stress. I was actively seeking another job and I am happy to have left. However I was not going to just be sacked without having my say which is why i wrote everything out in the appeal letter. I just need to know know what my options are in terms of benefits whilst I'm looking for a new job.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    I had been planning to leave anyway but when we had the meeting they would not let me resign and said it was too late as they were dismissing me. I do not want the job back but I certainly would like an apology. - That's not something you'll get I think.

He shared the information that he was planning to dismiss me before we had even had the meeting to discuss it. - that's fine. This is not the first time he has shared personal information - that's business information. , I have had colleagues tell me private information about other employees that they have obtained from my manager. I am now extremely concerned that he may share personal information I have told him. - He may, why are you telling him personal information? You could possibly seek action if he did, but seems unlikely you'd have proof

Another issue is that I requested a flexible working request which was suggested by an occupational health doctor and this was turned down, even though other people were allowed this.
    They aren't obliged to allow flexible working, if there's a legitimate business reason
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    Also to put this into context, more than half of the department has also been off long term with stress. I was actively seeking another job and I am happy to have left. However I was not going to just be sacked without having my say which is why i wrote everything out in the appeal letter. I just need to know know what my options are in terms of benefits whilst I'm looking for a new job.
    Contact Jobcentre today and apply. You don't get paid for first 5 (I think its 5) days anyway, so need to get started.
  • Katlou
    Forumite
    He shared the information about dismissing me before we had even had the meeting; prior to the meeting I was told that no decision would be made until we had actually had the meeting as he needed to hear what I had to say first, so it does seem unfair that he was telling other members of staff that he had already decided to dismiss me.

I have had to share some information with him about medical conditions etc as this had related to my absence. The personal information he shared about other colleagues related to their reasons for being absent such as marriage difficulties and depression that the colleagues had not shared themselves.

The decision to decline my flexible work request would be understandable if they had not accepted identical requests from other employees.

I spoke with ACAS who said I may have grounds for appeal on basis on discrimination.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    He shared the information about dismissing me before we had even had the meeting; prior to the meeting I was told that no decision would be made until we had actually had the meeting as he needed to hear what I had to say first, so it does seem unfair that he was telling other members of staff that he had already decided to dismiss me. - How long had you worked there? (second time of asking)

I have had to share some information with him about medical conditions etc as this had related to my absence. - That's fair enough, and no, he shouldn't share that kind of information. The personal information he shared about other colleagues related to their reasons for being absent such as marriage difficulties and depression that the colleagues had not shared themselves. - fair enough.

The decision to decline my flexible work request would be understandable if they had not accepted identical requests from other employees. - No, the business can accept and reject each application. Each application is treated individually. He can say yes to 19 people and no to the 20th

I spoke with ACAS who said I may have grounds for appeal on basis on discrimination.
    Discrimination?? on which protected characteristic? You yourself haven't mentioned one so far
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure