PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Comments

• Ocelot
    Ocelot Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm with you on this. When I see a "Look at this old fashioned house, ha ha" type comment, almost invariably the houses are spotlessly clean and well maintained, whereas the constantly "modernised" ones that fill Rightmove often seem tired and neglected.

My heart sinks a little every time I see a nice old house with "Recently updated to a high standard", in the description. You almost know there is going to be some out of character fitted kitchen sticking out into the knocked through dining/living/kitchen/breakfast area. I'd much prefer to buy a well maintained "out-of-date" house than one that needs ripping out and rebuilding every 5 years.

But, surprise, surprise, people like different things and I like older things. I guess many people wouldn't bother to try and source the right type of chamfered picture rail to replace those taken out by previous owners of our house, unlike me :rotfl:

SP

Agree. I would almost never buy a 'modernised' period house, as it is often vulgarised with PVC windows and a white plastic front door, not to mention all the walls knocked down to create an 'open-plan' feel and laminate or concrete flooring, instead of the original wooden one. If I did I would expect a hefty reduction in asking price to enable me to restore it to its former glory.

I do prefer some modernisation, however, such as a bathroom and indoor toilet!
  • This is the biggest back garden I've ever seen on on a suburban 3 bed house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68361530.html#location

On the satellite view it's 10 houses to the left of the grey dot, next door to the house with the solar panels.

I've got family members near Liverpool with a garden that sort of size on a 3 bed semi. Its got a proper little orchard at the bottom, peaches, pears, apples, used to love it as a kid.

I'd never be able to manage it though, I bet it puts a lot of people off.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I remember being amazed at my last house at how different the rooms looked when we put the picture rails back. Completely altered the proportions - for the better..

We did the same. You're right about the way it changed the whole feel of the place.

Friends, from whom we'd bought the property, stripped them all out. I remember laughing at their folly, and at the house they'd created, not knowing that we would own it less than two years later! :rotfl:
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    NicNicP wrote: »
    Granby Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, High Peak
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50431083.html

It's like going back in time. Not seen a blue bath suite for a while.

A bit unfair, I think, to put this house in with lots of the other hideous examples shown in this thread.

It's obviously been well maintained and looks like somewhere you could just move straight into without major work and redecorate as you go. Yes, the carpets etc are a dated design but lumping an obviously well looked after home in the same category as some of the messes we've seen seems a little unfair.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Do you pay to dispose of stuff as a householder where you are? Here you can get rid of as much as you like if you can physically get it to the tip. Its only trade/commercial waste and special collections that are charged for.

I took 15m2 of carpet in about 10 bin bags the other day!

Same here. Whenever I used my Land Rover to take rubbish to the tip I had to show them that the rear seats were in place to prove I was a householder using an 'estate car' and not a tradesman using a 'van'. :)
  • Think I might be the only one looking at "most impressive back garden" on the house mentioned as having one and thinking "Where is it then? I can only see a reasonable size back garden".

You know that a high proportion of houses now have "pocket handkerchiefs" for gardens when an ordinary back garden gets described as "most impressive":cool:. Sad times.....:(
  • Think I might be the only one looking at "most impressive back garden" on the house mentioned as having one and thinking "Where is it then? I can only see a reasonable size back garden".

You know that a high proportion of houses now have "pocket handkerchiefs" for gardens when an ordinary back garden gets described as "most impressive":cool:. Sad times.....:(

I can only think you are looking at the wrong property, or only at the first image of the garden.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Think I might be the only one looking at "most impressive back garden" on the house mentioned as having one and thinking "Where is it then? I can only see a reasonable size back garden".

Puts on best John McEnroe impression: you cannot be serious ...
  • Davesnave
    Think I might be the only one looking at "most impressive back garden" on the house mentioned as having one and thinking "Where is it then? I can only see a reasonable size back garden".

200' isn't impressive then? I doubt if anyone could have found a 200' garden tacked onto an 'average' house from any era in my old city.

Believe me, I looked....
  • Davesnave
    Granby Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, High Peak
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50431083.html
    Vectis wrote: »
    A bit unfair, I think, to put this house in with lots of the other hideous examples shown in this thread.

It's obviously been well maintained and looks like somewhere you could just move straight into without major work and redecorate as you go. Yes, the carpets etc are a dated design but lumping an obviously well looked after home in the same category as some of the messes we've seen seems a little unfair.
    It's a particularly fine time-warp house, so it belongs here. None of us said anything rude about it. Being experienced Rightmovers, we acnowledged its finer qualities in the the same way as you.

All sorts of houses are 'lumped -in' here, including those worth millions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure