PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Wanting to Move home but giving up on a great career

Options
Hi, ive got a big decision to make and hoping to try and do the best outcome from me and family.
Heres a bit of info
I live in Oxfordshire with my husband and 2 year old. We are both originally from Ireland and have lived in England for 6year and my hubby 15years . Hubby works for F1 . Im a nanny and baby massage instructor .
Recently I have been really desperate to move home . Biggest reason is that im a very sociable .person . I love going out with friends which for what ever reason we dont have much of in Oxfordshire just makes life so dull and boring. We have some of course but not like the friends we have in Ireland who we have a close relationship for years. Another thing is I miss my families , my sister has 3 kids who adore my son and we can take turns babysitting for the odd night out . We have no help in England .
We have made 150k on our home in England and could put down on a home in N.ireland but hubby would take a massive pay cut as he would work as a mechanic . So even though our mortgage would be low u still have bills , holidays , food etc and worried we would struggle. Is putting the 150k the best investment or should we invest in a property to rent out and live off the income ?

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buy yourself a nice HOME to live in and enjoy time with family in N Ireland
    Maybe hubby is best to talk too
  • hammy1988
    Options
    After reading your post...
    If it was me...

1. I'd move to Ireland as you sound so unhappy with your current situation, some people are just more family orientated. I'm the same, my husband is in the Royal Navy but I have chosen to live near my family for support (and we have bought a lovely house and no scrummy married quarter for me thanks).

2. You COULD give renting a trial and the Ireland move a trial and see whether it works out, sometimes the grass is not always greener, but 150k worth of equity is a nice back bone to the situation and gives you more choice.

3. Personally, I wouldn't want to take the risk of renting out a house, I think taking the money with you sounds less of a risk, the last thing you want is a non paying renter etc.

4. Yes, your husband may take a drop in income, but you may end up living more economically because you'll be at your families houses for meals etc, you'll spend less to try and socially make up for it with lots of meals out/trips that you might be spending now.

Also, the drop in income may not be for very long, have you a future plan for when you get there career wise? Would he look to open his own business etc? If he wants to earn more money, then he'd have to look to ways to do so if you really felt you needed it as a family.

Lastly.

5. Talk to your husband! Discuss with him. It should be a joint decision.
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    Is F1 seasonal? Could he live away during race season?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Fefee
    Fefee Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive discussed with hubby , the plan is this so far.
    Our house will sell very quick and rent quick to its a very in demand area not bragging but those are just facts.
    So we have thought of coming home living with in-laws while hubby looks for a job . Hubby says a mechanic only gets £1100 per month which would be to low to live on but Don't no if hes exaggerating. Our home in England will be rented out and should make us a profit of £400 per month. Rent in Ireland for a yr see what life is like and if all fails we still have our home in England.

I agree we might save money as we spend about £2000 per year in trips home giving up all are holidays to be with family and friends . Would be nice to just stay at home or go abroad.

Hes factory f1 based so it a 9 to 5 job.
  • Fefee
    Options
    We also have thought about running a airbnb business to further our income but no idea how busy it would be
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fefee wrote: »
    or should we invest in a property to rent out and live off the income ?

These always stand out for me as some people don't realise what this business entails and not fair on the tenants.

Research first on what you need to as a landlord and tenant rights then decide is for you.
  • lynz68
    lynz68 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    Is your husband on board with all of this? I'm only asking as the reasons for going seem to be all yours also i can imagine working for F1 is quite an adrenalin rush going back to a normal working life may be difficult for him.

If you're both on board that's great.

What you also have to consider is the reality of going home going to live up to the expectation you have built up in your head.

You have good equity in your current home but you also have to keep in mind one of you at least is going to have to have a job to get a mortgage. You could obviously buy something outright here with that amount of money but you're going to need to be able to live in between moving home and getting a job which may not be all that easy.

Have you tried to find out what sort of salary a mechanic can earn in NI? While the cost of living is cheaper so are salaries.
  • Fefee
    Options
    Yes I would say Im more for moving home than he is and if I didn't push he probably wouldn't have move. That said hes definitely said he wants to move home and I genuinely believe he would be happier , maybe not so much job satisfaction but sociable and quality of life definitely . I see it wen hes home he changes , hes more happy . I think its important to him that im happy to.
    I have lived the last 8 years for his career and living away from my friends and family has been a massive scarfice . Ive really tried to be happy here in England but I find I just so alone. Really done with living like this.
  • Fefee
    Options
    I have tried finding out salary but its hard to say.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    A few thoughts, as I've moved around a lot and also lived 'abroad' (in my case I'm English and lived in Ireland for 4 years).

- generally it's never a good idea to go back. Things change, people move on, things won't be the same as they were when you lived there before.
    - your OH has a good job, and that's not to be taken for granted.
    - your child is very young. You wouldn't be going out with friends that much with a young child wherever you were living.

I think you have a serious case of home-sickness, and I totally understand that. But going 'home' isn't the answer. Home is where you are. And home is what you make it. You already home.

As you are a sociable sort, and having a child is a good way of making friends with children of the same age. Do you go to toddler groups and suchlike? How about setting up some sort of babysitting circle?

You would be taking a huge hit income-wise. I know money doesn't buy happiness - but it's bl00dy difficult to be happy without it.

Go back and visit your family, then come home and throw yourself into your lovely life and your young family in your new home.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure