What are those things called that make you overtake a parked vehicle wider?

Comments

• Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Less accidents overall, but there are less of them on the roads, on the other hand when it comes to accidents per miles driven, the "oldies" are the worst by a large margin.
    Source for this statement?

I'm pretty sure the stats I have seen - "accidents per mile travelled", which accounts for lower usage by older drivers - show a massive peak between 17 and 24, a decline up to age 70 and then a small rise thereafter, although still a fraction of the 17-24 figure. Willing to be shown I am wrong, though.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Robisere wrote: »
    Specious, unfounded argument and you don't even read the link you send. *
    I repeat: YOU DON'T KNOW ME! I actually drive an auto truck for a mate from time to time, and I am covered for it by his insurance. So I don't " only drive cars now " But if I did, so what?
    " Mobilty vehicle " - that's a scooter. I drive a Motability SUV actually.
    " ...once a year at TA camp " No, 12 years of service in the Army Air Corps.
    I can afford to lose a month's pension actually, due to the fact that I worked and saved to provide a Private Pension. However, I think more of my money, than to waste it, even on a definite win against an idiot.
    When I think it is time to give up driving, I will not need the advice of an idiot to do so. I will give up in my own time, in my own recognisance. However, YOU DON'T KNOW ME, so how can you judge?
    I have NEVER been the cause of an accident in all my years of driving. However, two younger people have driven into my car in separate incidents. On both occasions, they were at fault (driving out of a junction onto a main road) and both insurance companies agreed.

* Quote from the link you posted yourself:
    " The Department for Transport (DfT) says there is no evidence older drivers are more likely to cause an accident, and it has no plans to restrict licensing or mandate extra training on the basis of age. "

How many times can you support your own dumb words by saying something dumber?
    I'm done on this one, it fails to amuse me any further.

Irony at its best.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    seashore22 wrote: »
    I hope they don't protrude more than 305mm from the door because if they do then those people using them are breaking the law unless they give the police 2 working days written notice, place additional marker boards on the front and rear of the vehicle and leave the vehicle lights and marker board lights on at night .
  • System
    What a stupid idea. Did the designers not think about the fact that most mirrors are above the door line where they show these fitted?

You can't because then the vehicle comes in the remit of abnormal load and requires police notification, marker boards, additional lighting and to be lit on a night.
  • System
    Robisere wrote: »
    Read this and get the facts: us oldies have less road accidents than any age group.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24204489

Maybe it's experience?

Or the fact retired people don't drive much.

From your link:
    Research by the RAC Foundation suggests drivers aged 75 and over make up 6% of all licence holders but account for just 4.3% of all deaths and serious injuries. By contrast, drivers aged 16-20 make up just 2.5% of all drivers but 13% of those killed and seriously injured.

However that doesn't make any mention of mileage. It is more likely that its the fact you don't drive anywhere that is the reason old people have fewer accidents. Many working people are commuting 200-400 miles a week alone plus any weekend driving which is far more than most retired people do in a week. I bet if the statistics were worked out on a per mile basis the results would be a far different story.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When I saw the title of the OP's post my immediate thought was "wing mirrors"! These days they all seem to be colour coded to the vehicle, so perhaps a solution would be to have them in vibrant fluorescent colours, perhaps with a diamond studded edge.

I once suggested to a blind friend that she get a diamond tipped stick as it would be so effective in identifying cars obstructing the footway....
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    I bet if the statistics were worked out on a per mile basis the results would be a far different story.
    See my post 32 above. I'm sure I have seen research which shows that older drivers have fewer accidents per mile travelled than the 17-24 group*. I can't track the article down as I am at work, and I willing to be proved wrong, but that's the very firm impression I had.

I'm quite sympathetic to the older driver, as I am heading that way myself - despite nearly being taken out for good by an elderly man in my village who was still driving despite suffering from the early stages of dementia and clearly unfit to drive. But as a general truth, elderly drivers are far from the most dangerous.

*Possibly it was KSI rather than accidents per se. That would make more sense to me - perhaps more trivial bumps but fewer serious smashes. I await enlightenment.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2017 at 7:16AM
    Tarambor wrote: »

From your link:

However that doesn't make any mention of mileage. It is more likely that its the fact you don't drive anywhere that is the reason old people have fewer accidents. Many working people are commuting 200-400 miles a week alone plus any weekend driving which is far more than most retired people do in a week. I bet if the statistics were worked out on a per mile basis the results would be a far different story.

There was a BBC article leading to statistics presented by the former transport secretary some years ago, it pretty much stated that the elderly have vastly more accidents per mile than any other demographic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ipm/2008/09/some_statistics_on_elderly_dri.shtml

Impossible to find by searching the site, good job I book marked it.

There are American websites showing similar stats, but if I post them people will just argue they don't count, because American "senior citizens" are totally different to Brits.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    What a stupid idea. Did the designers not think about the fact that most mirrors are above the door line where they show these fitted?

So its possibly for another vehicles mirror to miss that and still clout your mirror. What a waste of money.

Patent on the fixing to the cars door? I bet its the same as those finger guards everyone bought many years ago.

OH DEAR!!! Just had a look and you really shouldn't advertise you were on Dragon's Den when they ripped your product to pieces. And said you flushed £30k down the toilet.

Am I missing something, who has been on dragons den
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    photome wrote: »
    Am I missing something, who has been on dragons den

The designer who claims to have patented these or patented the way they attach to the vehicle. But the fitting looks exactly the same as all those clip on door guards they have been selling since the 70's and maybe older.

Start watching at 41:45. He isnt on there for long only a short piece. But the link is the full show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a356_IxJc20
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure