Could anyone have interfered with your bags since you packed them?

Comments

• samanthag
    samanthag Posts: 1,338
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    they didnt ask permission they just did it he was with my husband but there were 2 people in front of my husband as they had just opened this booth as there was a long queue at the booth that we were all in and the security guards asked them all to go to the other booth .
    i didnt mind him being frisked i just didnt think that they were allowed to do it to a minor (my husband couldnt see him being frisked) i could because i was in the departure lounge but i couldnt leave my son as he has special needs
    they didnt ask my son how old he was or was he with anyone. the metal detector didnt bleep cause i asked my son and he was asked to take his belt and shoes of before he went through the bleeper machine
    i will know in future i will make sure that we dont get separated next time.
    regards sammy
    gave up smoking 07/01/09 :j:j:j
  • samanthag wrote:
    my 14 year old son was frisked at the airport a fortnight ago at paris cdg
    iwas with my other son and my eldest was with my husband i was waiting in the departure lounge when i saw them do it.
    i was appalled that they can do this to a child are they allowed to do it to minors?
    my son is 6 foot tall but that shouldnt excuse him being frisked he was really quite shook up about it.
    has anybody else had this happen to their kids?
    regards sammy

My 3 year old was frisked (very gently) when we went to Manchester a few months ago (from Heathrow). The bit he most objected to was taking off his shoes. My son though is one of those who jumps onto the dentist chair saying "my turn" so his compliance on this sort of thing wasnt an issue. It doesn't bother me as if I was going to take a stand on civil liberty issues, then being frisked at airports would be a long way down my list.
  • spender
    spender Posts: 1,157
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Unfortunately in this day and age people do use children to carry things because they think they will not get stopped/searched. Just look at the news recently with 8 year olds carrying guns for the older gang members (under 10 in this country is below the age of criminal responsibility). It is a sad fact of life. I know it must of been distressing but maybe they thought he was older or maybe by using the airport you must somehow consent to being searched. I hope your son is OK.
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
  • ynot2005
    ynot2005 Posts: 546 Forumite
    having witnessed the public on several occasions "freak out " when confronted with simple security measures at airports, i have nothing but admiration for BAA security staff who manage to conduct themselves with dignity when a punch on the nose of the offending moron would have been quite acceptable to me
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    samanthag wrote:
    i was appalled that they can do this to a child are they allowed to do it to minors?

appalled at what exactly?
  • MommaCC
    MommaCC Posts: 257
    Forumite
    nelly wrote:
    appalled at what exactly?

From how I read the op's post, she has no problem with the her son being frisked, but that, as he was a minor, the was no warning or conversation with the parent first.

If this is what the op means, I agree totally. I have no problems with my children being frisked, but would want to know and be present when it happened. It would be the most sensible thing to do from the airport security staff side too - a witness to see exactly where your touching, I would want that protection.

I wonder if, with your son being so tall, they did not realise he was a minor.
  • lauren2007
    lauren2007 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Hi
    When we went on honeymoon last year and they asked if anyone could have had access to our bags since we packed them we said yes (the bags had been in our hotel room since the day before the wedding). The check in lady just said 'ok' and put them through anyway.
  • samanthag
    samanthag Posts: 1,338
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MommaCC wrote:
    From how I read the op's post, she has no problem with the her son being frisked, but that, as he was a minor, the was no warning or conversation with the parent first.

If this is what the op means, I agree totally. I have no problems with my children being frisked, but would want to know and be present when it happened. It would be the most sensible thing to do from the airport security staff side too - a witness to see exactly where your touching, I would want that protection.

I wonder if, with your son being so tall, they did not realise he was a minor.

that is what i was trying to say
    thanks sammy
    gave up smoking 07/01/09 :j:j:j
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is this thread a wind-up??? The more security at airports the better as far as I am concerned. I certainly have no objections to any additional measures being taken to make my flight that little bit safer. Even if they are more psychological than real, we need them to keep air travel the safest form of travel. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in the U.S. has stated that your chances of being killed in a motorcar accident is 1 in 5,000. If you decide to travel by train, your risk of dying due to a train crash is reduced to around 1 in 400,000. In an airplane, it varies from 1 in 400,000 to 1 in 10,000,000 depending on the reputation of the airlines you are going to travel on.

What I do complain about are the jobsworths on immigration who mainly stand around doing b****r all but put their hands in their pockets and chew gum - on the pretext that they are 'observing' people entering and leaving the country. That while the queues to get passports checked snake around the reception hall.
  • rbulph
    rbulph Posts: 547
    Forumite
    LesD wrote:
    Is this thread a wind-up??? The more security at airports the better as far as I am concerned. I certainly have no objections to any additional measures being taken to make my flight that little bit safer. Even if they are more psychological than real, we need them to keep air travel the safest form of travel. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in the U.S. has stated that your chances of being killed in a motorcar accident is 1 in 5,000. If you decide to travel by train, your risk of dying due to a train crash is reduced to around 1 in 400,000. In an airplane, it varies from 1 in 400,000 to 1 in 10,000,000 depending on the reputation of the airlines you are going to travel on.

What I do complain about are the jobsworths on immigration who mainly stand around doing b****r all but put their hands in their pockets and chew gum - on the pretext that they are 'observing' people entering and leaving the country. That while the queues to get passports checked snake around the reception hall.

No of course it's not a wind-up. It's a stupid situation to be asking people questions to which you expect them to lie. Either stop asking the question, or educate them to why they should give an honest answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure