Hotpoint Tumble Dryer Has A Burning Smell From The Back

Our Hotpoint dryer has started playing up after many years of usage! The drum stops turning and we can smell burning from the back.

I have opened the back and it seems to be coming from the fan area at the bottom. It seems to stop (the drum included) and then lets out the burning smell. I think this fan is also connected to the motor?

Does anybody have a clue if this is a cheap repair or even better, can I repair it?

If not, any ideas where I can get a cheap vented branded dryer from?

Pls help................

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It would seem that the drum is sticking for whatever reason (probably a seized bearing) and the belt that is being driven by the motor is burning.

Nothing lasts for ever. It would probably cheaper in the long run to have a new one.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • a&akay
    a&akay Posts: 526 Forumite
    The drive belt may be slack from stretching. The burning would be friction on the rubber at the motor end. You need to slacken the bolts on the motor and lever the motor to tighten the tension, then tighten the bolts. Don't overdo it as you will put more strain on both the motor and drum bearings. A new belt may be called for if badly burned.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My last dryer caught fire. It was a Bosch and only 3 years old (filter cleaned regularly). It had been getting very hot for a while beforehand but I never bothered getting someone out to look at it. Many years ago my parents neighbour's kitchen was gutted after she went out and left her dryer on. Personally i wouldn't trust a dryer if I had smelt it burning and i'd get a new one.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If it is just a belt i've managed to change one on my hotpoint dryer without any instructions. It cost me £7.50 for the belt.
  • Does anyone have any ideas where I can buy a cheap replacement.

Would prefer Hotpoint again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport