Freelancer outsourcing work

Hello,

I am a self-employed freelance writer and this is the first year I'm thinking about outsourcing work. In short, I have multiple clients who provide me with lots of work and I find myself needing help to complete it on time. I have a couple of other writers to outsource to and I was wondering how do I write off the money I pay them for their work? One of the main persons to whom I'd like to outsource is my husband, who's also a freelance writer. I need to mention that most transactions in my business are via PayPal. Is it enough to write off the PayPal transactions as expenses? Or do I need to do anything else?

Thanks,

Allison

Comments

• Are you a sole trader? If so, it is an allowable business expense.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Yes, I'm a sole trader. Do I need to get invoices from the writers?
  • Yes, as supporting evidence in case HMRC ever decide to enquire. You are using sub-contractors. Will your clients be happy about this?

Rudyard Kipling

• Thank you for your reply. My clients are fine with it, and I'll be supervising/correcting the texts anyway. Wouldn't it look suspicious to get invoices from my husband, though? He has his own clients, but sometimes his work is slow, and I could use his help.
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,419
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    alisson44 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it look suspicious to get invoices from my husband, though? He has his own clients, but sometimes his work is slow, and I could use his help.

No, as he (like the others) will declare the income on his tax return and the records would match if they did query it.
  • Paaarp
    Paaarp Posts: 24 Forumite
    Sorry to but in. I'm about to start doing this too.

I'm not a sole trader (yet). Would I have to be one to be able to factor in the costs paid out to sub-contractors?

Thanks!
  • Assuming that you are not going to create a limited company and you are not in the construction industry, you need to register with HMRC as self-employed once you have some definite work/sales. Legitimate business expenses can be offset against income to reduce your profit, which is what you pay tax on.

Rudyard Kipling

• Paaarp
    Thanks. I am looking into creating a limited company to pay less tax.

Although not sure if I earn enough to make it worthwhile - still doing the research.

Thanks.
  • The same principle applies: legitimate business expenses can be offset against tax.

It is worth spending time exploring possibilities: if extra work will take you into a higher tax band, then a company might be best. However, you need proper accounting procedures.

Rudyard Kipling

• Paaarp
    Thanks, I will get in touch with some accountants.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure