Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 7th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 67Posts
    • 138Thanks
    Ashers92
    Redundancy Issues
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    Redundancy Issues 7th Jul 17 at 1:31 PM
    Hi all,
    Asking here on behalf of my girlfriends mother who has recently been made redundant from the private school she works for as a teaching assistant. The story goes like this..

She was initially made redundant due to school closure at the end of this academic year. Entitled to circa £8k I believe, unless they got a new job before the closure (I think). Although they allowed people to go for interviews as necessary.

She begins looking for jobs, during which the school board and parents tried getting a plan to save the school, which they did, although the school would now be catering for those with learning difficulties and troubled upbringings. Different from the private school it was.

She recently has been offered a job at another local school, starting in the next academic year.

Last night, the people who were 'saving' the school have now pulled out altogether and the school will shut down again. There are now saying they cant pay the redundancy money or even any wages for July and August, rendering her last two weeks work unpaid!

The school breaks for summer holidays today, so this will be her last day on the job.
    Where does she stand!?

Appreciate any help!
    #157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
    House deposit saving mode active: £18000 / £40000
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 14,443 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    Who is the employer?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 9,393 Posts
    • 7,358 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:25 PM

Where does she stand!?
    Originally posted by Ashers92
    In a line with all the other creditors. Although she will be amongst those at the head of the queue as she is a preferential creditor. I am presuming that the school is insolvent as it can't pay its bills and will be in liquidation.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 7th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 14,892 Posts
    • 21,093 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    ..The school breaks for summer holidays today, so this will be her last day on the job.
    Where does she stand!?...
    Originally posted by Ashers92
    Basically, the government will step in and pay her. Although there are limits. You can only get statutory redundancy for example.

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/claiming-money-owed-to-you
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 7th Jul 17, 6:21 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Ashers92
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:21 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:21 PM
    Who is the employer?
    Originally posted by Guest101
    She is/was employed directly by the school.

In a line with all the other creditors. Although she will be amongst those at the head of the queue as she is a preferential creditor. I am presuming that the school is insolvent as it can't pay its bills and will be in liquidation.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    The closure is due to a lack of students, and therefore income to maintain the operation.

Basically, the government will step in and pay her. Although there are limits. You can only get statutory redundancy for example.

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/claiming-money-owed-to-you
    Originally posted by antrobus
    I'll have to look into this. Thanks.
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 10th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Ashers92
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    With regards to the failed payments of wages, where would she stand on this?

Being in teaching the payments are split across the 12 months to cover the holidays, but they wont be paying her the July or August wages. The last two weeks work she has done, will currently go unpaid.

Is this not a breach of contract?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,504Posts Today

8,350Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin