Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    carl310166
    Block Paving Quotes
    • 15th May 05, 1:27 AM
    Block Paving Quotes 15th May 05 at 1:27 AM
    I am thinking of having a company to lay block paving to the front of my house to make a driveway.

I know you should have 3 quotes for the job,but i have rang about 6 different companies so far,and only 2 have come round to measure up.

The first company spent all of 5 mins taking measurements but have not contacted me since.

The other called today,took measurements,discussed drainage,turnaround time,levels,materials and left a brochure etc,he said i should have the quote by post on Weds,plus i got this company name from a list of approved contractors from the block manufacturers website (he had their logo on his polo shirt) you know the type,look like a "proper" tradesman.

I would like to know if there is a rough estimate for approx 40sq meters of block paving? so,when i get his letter,i can decide if the price is reasonable without having to shop around.

Like i said,i am having trouble getting people to come out and see the job,let alone get 3 quotes.

Anybody had a similar job done?
Page 3
  • groundworker
    house builders pay groundwork sub-contractors £62 per square meter for the standard brindle and charcoal drives this includes everything ,they pay this little because they have thousands of meters laid on each site. I charge £70 per square meter which is the right price , It requires skill and hard work to do a quality job I don't advertise, my previous customers go out of their way to recommend me, you get what you pay for, only ever use someone who comes recommended
  • iamexclusive
    Hi,

Just wanted peoples opinion on a block paving driveway I have builders putting in.

The company I am going with have quoted £6,400 for the job. It involves:

- Digging up and removing the existing plants, shrubble and concrete from the front garden.

- Building a 4 meter by 0.8 meter side wall.

- Building a 6 meter by 0.8 meter front wall.

- Fitting the drainage required by law before laying gutter.

- Paving the driveway 40 sq meters in total.

Am I paying over the odds or is this reasonable?
    • MrHelpful
    • By MrHelpful 14th Sep 14, 10:24 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    MrHelpful
    Looks reasonable to me.

I am pay £15,000 to have my parents place landscaped - corner plot bungalow.... new fencing 40 meters, driveway, back and side garden.
    • MrHelpful
    • By MrHelpful 14th Sep 14, 10:26 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    MrHelpful
    Has anyone come across Eaton paving stone? Landscape gardener has recommended these over Marshalls tegula... he said Marshall are not as good as they use to be and I should give BS Eaton a go, any opinions out there.
    • themaverick1953
    • By themaverick1953 25th Nov 14, 6:08 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    themaverick1953
    Wondering what current ratesd are - been quoted £145 /sq m last year.

Block paving is over priced i'm jumping for joy as I've just saved loads of money by looking at alternatives to Block Paving.

The average block paving price round here which is Petts Wood area of Kent is £65 - £75 per square meter.

I had a concrete driveway and didn't want to pay that much so I looked in to other options which included printed concrete, coloured tarmac etc but the one I eventually stumbled upon was Resin Bonded Surfacing it was a fraction of the price and it looks really smart and massive !!!

My drive is 110sq meters and the block Paving quote was £7150.00 + Disposal costs of the old concrete which they said would be around £500.

The price I paid for Resin Bonded Surface was £2915.00 and there were no disposal costs as they went over the top of the concrete. So I saved a MASSIVE £4235.00 + Disposal and I have a drive that doesn't look like everyone else's !!

I found the company i uesd on google not sure if your allowed to put links on here so I won't but they're easy to find. They were very polite & professional it took them 2 days to install it 1 day preparing the surface & the second laying it.

I hope this helps you all to save lots of pennies.
    Originally posted by wendyw
    • Drew210385
    • By Drew210385 22nd Aug 15, 9:40 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Drew210385
    Quite an old thread now so would be interested to hear current approximate rates for block paving a driveway.

Just had a quote for £4.5k to remove gravel and concrete from a 50 sq ft driveway, knock down a wall, create flowerbed/borders with railway sleepers around 2 edges (to include blocking in some mega thick concrete into a raised flowerbed on one side), level out and block pave driveway and extend the drop kerb. He had really good ideas and I was impressed but have no idea if the quote is reasonable or not.

I've contacted 10 companies and only 2 got back to me, this is the first quote. The second guy is coming next week as he's on holiday at the moment (but still got back to me to say this!).
    • kauperwood
    • By kauperwood 26th Oct 15, 9:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kauperwood
    PavingMaster
    What is included in your prices? I work with a big company, I put all kinds of paving stones, slabs, granite and so on. Laying block paving is usually £ 17-20 per square meter (only work). According to the materials do not know, I never bought it.
    Of course there is a difference, the company provides job ever, and my entire team.
    • anuja240
    • By anuja240 29th Dec 15, 7:28 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anuja240
    If you are capable you can put paving blocks in your garden by yourself, just me and my husband work together to install them you can read online guides for help!!
    blogger, traveler and socialite
    • Keely lewis
    • By Keely lewis 27th Jan 16, 8:40 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Keely lewis
    Thought I'd comment on older posts for people on Notts who are looking at block paving as you can see I am not a newbie member . I have posted before on moving house and exchange threads so genuine. We had 6 quotes for Marshall block paving to extend our existing driveway onto the front garden making new paving of around 25-30 square metres. Quotes ranged from £4500 to £2000 , all said similar things, had similar recommendations , so we went with the cheapest one and they were LJD paving. They got slated earlier in the post for fake postings and I can't comment on those but I would recommend them . PM me if you want pics. Good luck , we are in the middle of whole house renovation and just getting professionals round to quote is hard enough .
    • Robinzx9r
    • By Robinzx9r 28th Feb 16, 9:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robinzx9r
    Over charged
    Wow that is terrible but there are lots of company's that will do this using hard core sales men to pressure older folk to have something they really don't want or need this is so sad...
    • Robinzx9r
    • By Robinzx9r 28th Feb 16, 9:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robinzx9r
    We used a company called pps-uk-ltd.com, they came resurfaced our driveway with a permeable resin bound paving 7 months ago they charged £50m2, me and the wife are extremely happy with the product and price plus it still looks like new today with just a quick power wash... so thumbs up here..
    • Furts
    • By Furts 29th Feb 16, 2:01 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 2,216 Thanks
    Furts
    We used a company called pps-uk-ltd.com, they came resurfaced our driveway with a permeable resin bound paving 7 months ago they charged £50m2, me and the wife are extremely happy with the product and price plus it still looks like new today with just a quick power wash... so thumbs up here..
    Originally posted by Robinzx9r
    But thumbs down from me. Seven months is far from a realistic time to judge the durability of a job. Equally £50 per metre square is a ridiculous price to pay for a resin coating. Add to this the sub contracting and lack of control that exists and my observation is "Buyer Beware"
    • densol
    • By densol 8th Mar 16, 3:27 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    densol
    I'm just having 100 sm of block paving removed and replaced with 3 colour tumbled blocks in grey. They have excavated nice and deep - massive amount of earth removed !

100 sm = triple drive, all pathways and also 5 large flower beds ( already there ) with grey curbing ( was 32 metres )

£7950 plus VAT - greater London,
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland

I live under a bridge in England
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
    • mtamnee
    • By mtamnee 3rd Apr 16, 12:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mtamnee
    Cost of creating a 25 sqm driveway
    We live in London. We want to create a 25sqm driveway in our front garden. The law requires a permeable product / blocks to be used if over 25sqm .. we don't want to apply for planning permission hence the 25sqm. A small garden wall 40 cm x 600 cm will need to be partially knocked down and partially replaced. We will retain approx. 50% of the flowerbeds. No planting will be required but a 1.5 m x 6 m hedge will need to be removed.

What sort of ball park sum should I expect for a permeable block clay paving with an appropriate sub soil aggregate plus hedge removal ?
    How much cheaper would it be if we used non permeable blocks ?

Please help !
    • JohnHolland
    • By JohnHolland 16th Apr 16, 10:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnHolland
    Not too sure if I'm a little bit late with this reply but apparently you can use a DIY Method. Im not too sure on the company but their is some sealer that they are selling on eBay or i believe they can visit you and do it from your home, seems a simple enough form for a quotation.

i believe if you google hi bond block paving sealer that they should show up

- hope i wasn't to late

- John
    • andre_xs
    • By andre_xs 24th Apr 16, 8:07 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    andre_xs
    Hi,
    just to add to this thread: We want to get our driveway block paved. First quote was £3600 for the following works:
    - Remove old driveway (mixture of slabs, grass, walls, bushes)
    - foundation for new driveway
    - cheap blocks
    - 58 sq meters (i.e., £62/sq meter)
    - a "step" for the door
    - drain at the bottom of the driveway (it has a slope towards the street)
    - incl all materials and labour
    - area: Greater London (St Albans, Hertfordshire)

If they are using slabs instead of bricks, they'd charge £2900 (£50/sq meter)

Not too sure whether this company is dubious/fine or not, will try to get more quotes.

Do you think this is reasonable or overly cheap?

Best wishes,
    Andre
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

1,114Users online

Martin's Twitter