Teen on holiday with another family

NoMorePain
NoMorePain Posts: 4 Newbie
Hi folks, wonder if you can help.

My 15 year old daughter is going to France for a week this coming Sunday with her friend and their family. They are making their own arrangements for travel and accommodation - Chunnel then driving to a house in the countryside.

Just wondering what she needs to take paperwork wise -

Passport
EHIC card
Child Insurance (just looking at the essential insurance underwritten by White Horse Ireland?)

And then I thought a letter from me (mum) giving permission for them to take her away.

Is there anything else she needs from this perspective?

Thank you x

Comments

• skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    I took my daughters 11yo friend on holiday with us last year and that was exactly what I took from them for her, plus comprehensive contact details for her parents (so home number, mobiles, grandparents mobiles and addresses) and a quick check that she wasn't allergic/intolerant to anything or not allowed anything in particular.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds good to me. I think it's worth sending the letter giving permission with them, I do know of a family that were asked once.

It might be worth just chatting with the mum about simple medication. I always feel more comfortable if I know it's OK to give Paracetamol or Calpol or whatever and any info about allergies or anything like that. Obviously, they'd contact you with ay serious issues but the odd headache or tummy ache they need to know what you'd normally do.
  • Tim_Ber
    Tim_Ber Posts: 6 Forumite
    What Travel Insurance Companies Cover Under 18's Traveling Independently
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    NoMorePain wrote: »
    And then I thought a letter from me (mum) giving permission for them to take her away.

Is there anything else she needs from this perspective?

Thank you x

The letter is very necessary and is the one thing that most people wouldn't bother with. But when things go wrong it's the most important.

Photocopy the photo page of your own passport and any other parent/guardian (i.e. mum & dad).

Then simply say something along the lines of:

We hereby give confirmation that Junior Smith will be travelling from X August to Y August 2014 with Mr & Mrs Jones to France.

During this time Mr & Mrs Jones are acting in loco parentis.

Then both sign.

Give a copy to the parents and one to your child.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tim_Ber wrote: »
    What Travel Insurance Companies Cover Under 18's Traveling Independently

Lots: Post Office for a start.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income