Good reliable family car.

traveller
traveller Posts: 1,506 Forumite
Hi, I'm due to have my 4th child in may,so have decided to get back behind the wheel again!I know nothing much about cars and was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent reliable car, for family of five.I'll hopefully have around £3,500-4000 to play with.Only requirements are manual,petrol and as small a model as I could realistically get away with,preferably not a saloon,as my parking isn't the best;) .Thanks.
:A Your Always in my heart, you never ever will be forgotten-9/9/14:heart2:

Comments

• balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ford Focus? A very safe bet. Not the trendiest car on the road but good for the family.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    balsingh wrote: »
    Ford Focus? A very safe bet. Not the trendiest car on the road but good for the family.[/quot
    I agree.Bought the missus a diesel one from auction to go to work in and was very suprised at how well it drove and the fuel economy is good.It is not however a thing of beauty but it does what it says on the tin and they are cheap used
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Honda Jazz - and the seats fold flat at the back. Failing that a second-hand toyota yaris - good for the family, economical to run, comfortable drive, easy to park. Plus you can buy some additional parking sensors to help you park safely especially if you are in the habit of bumping into things.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    a focus again here. ive had 2.
    a petrol and my present diesel tdi. 60mpg!
    very hard to beat for the money.
    ps.
    my daughter has a new 1.4 yaris and she loves it.
    Get some gorm.
  • yep,focus again,it should meet all you requirements,and i tend to disagree,i think it is a good looking car,and a nice dash board aswell.
    ...work permit granted!
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i was going to suggest mondeo, until you said you want something small..
    i'll back up the other choices for the focus.

why petrol though?
  • traveller
    traveller Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Hi, thanks to everyone that has replied! I specified petrol as that's all I was familiar with before.Is there any great difference or advantage of either?
    :A Your Always in my heart, you never ever will be forgotten-9/9/14:heart2:
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Previous model Astra 1.6 Club - the 8valve engine.

No street cred, low running costs, easy to fix, well within your budget & only bad thing, the seats are uncomfortable & not only me saying that, lots others do, so sit in it & take a reasonable test drive.

As for Focus, it is popular, but means more £$£$ & if you park it next to Astra, it's MUCH bigger, too.

& I find them totally impossible to feel 'comfortable' when driving them.

VB
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    if you're getting a newer cleaner diesel car, say a focus with a TDCi Engine, you could benefit from better fuel consumption, thus reducing your running costs.... it is something to look into ..
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Mazda 323, purchased one new in May 2000, never had anything go wrong at all, still has original battery and exhaust, nearly 8 years old.

Cheap to run, plenty of room inside.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport