Discount stores - so much more generous!?

I have often wondered why the likes of B&M, Aldi, Nisa, Poundland etc give so much more away on their social media sites than the likes of John Lewis, M&S and Debenhams? Their prizes range from large hampers to £50/£100 vouchers and often several times a week, yet the larger non discount stores run a giveaway once in a blue moon! Anyone know why? :question:

Some supermarkets are more generous than others too eg Morrisons and Iceland run loads of social media comps, whereas Tescos and Sainsburys hardly ever mention the word 'giveaway'! :eek::eek:
:TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea

Comments

• Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Probably because B&M, Aldi, Nisa, Poundland have a lower profile and need the publicity.

Morrisons and Iceland probably have few stores, so again need to heighten consumer awareness and footfall.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,886 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2017 at 9:35AM
    Maybe they need to get more of a "buzz" going as some of them have a smaller user base, also more likely that their customers/potential customers are price driven and attracted by competitions, depends how the marketing dept splits the budget (Hampers from one of the "cheaper" ones are usually £10 worth of items and not a wicker basket so not exactly over generous*).
    The Currys wish list stopped because they wanted to spend the money pushing black Friday/cyber Monday instead.

(One posted today, it's poundland that describes £10 worth of gardening items of their choice as a "Gardening Hamper", the value is only in the T&Cs)
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    Thanks xxx
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • janE1956
    janE1956 Posts: 2,212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The sainsbury mag ones are on here every month
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tesco's do loads of comps and with rather generous prizes too but they tend to be focussed around instore and purchases rather than social media apart from the weekly twitter/fb comp for £50 they just did a massive promo with walkers snap n share giving away ps4's, footballs, headphones etc
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    janE1956 wrote: »
    The sainsbury mag ones are on here every month

Oh yes, forgot about tjose! :o
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Being a "Discount" business doesn't mean it isn't a large and profitable business (think of Ryanair compared to British Airways for example). B&M turnover is about £2.2bn with underlying profits approx £200m and Poundland manages just over half of that. They employ about 40,000 between them.

They will have marketing budgets in proportion to their size, and whereas John Lewis and M&S spend millions on expensive Christmas TV adverts, the discounters prefer to spend on leaflets and comps.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I kinda assume that a shop like John Lewis (for example) would see running a competition as cheapening the brand, don't know if that's the reality of it though.
  • xoxlauraxox
    xoxlauraxox Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    I think some businesses spend more Money on advertising their through TV and high cost advertising. Some decide to use a smaller budget on mainstream advertising and save a lot of money by promoting the brand through competitions.
    Thanks to everyone that posts :T:money:
  • Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    The Currys wish list stopped because they wanted to spend the money pushing black Friday/cyber Monday instead.

I only got into comping after that was pulled, yet I hear so much about it. The Advents last year in my opinion were a bit meh, the year before there seemed to be so much more so I can only imagine what they used to be like.
    2018 wins-12wins
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport