Which Shower - Mixer or Electric?

Options
Hi all,

I am sure this is a much asked question so apologies if this is tiresome but I am really looking for some clarification on what is the best thing to do. I'll furnish you with as many details as possible.

We've just moved into a new 3 bed semi, 1 bathroom detached house. There will be two occupants. The boiler is a new Vaillant EcoTec Plus combi. The only thing that uses the gas is the heating of water and the central heating as the cooker is all electric including the hob.

The old bathroom has been ripped out as we wanted it replacing. The shower was an old Triton electric 8.5Kw job. That has been ripped out now and we were all but set on replacing it with a thermostatic mixer of some variety that ran off the boiler.

The guy that is doing the fitting of the bathroom came round last night and answered any questions we had. When we said that we wanted a mixer shower he said that it wouldn't be the best option and that he would much rather put in an electric shower as it would give better performance. He also went into the loft and said he'd put in some kind of header tank and we could buy a pump assisted shower (though he said not to buy a power shower).

From the reading I have done online everyone seems to be saying that a mixer shower running off the boiler is the best thing to get and that electric showers, even the 10Kw+ models will not give as good performance. I do not know what the water pressure or flow is like in our house but with there only ever being the two of us and only ever one person using the bathroom at any one time I'd have thought that a mixer would be best. Am I wrong?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So there's a header tank with a combi boiler?

Does he want to put in an electric shower as he'll get more money that way?

I'd be looking for someone else to do the job.
  • Hibbleton
    Options
    So there's a header tank with a combi boiler?

Does he want to put in an electric shower as he'll get more money that way?

I'd be looking for someone else to do the job.

I'm not sure what he was on about with the header tank. I was all but set on a thermostatic mixer shower of some variety but when he came last night he went into the loft and found two tanks (disconnected, I assume from the previous owners before the combi was put in) and said we'll use these and put in an electric shower which is pump assisted (but not a power shower).

He definitely isn't trying to fleece us as he's a guy we've known for years that only gets paid mates rates anyway so I am assuming the advice given is genuine though perhaps slightly misinformed?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hibbleton wrote: »
    I'm not sure what he was on about with the header tank. I was all but set on a thermostatic mixer shower of some variety but when he came last night he went into the loft and found two tanks (disconnected, I assume from the previous owners before the combi was put in) and said we'll use these and put in an electric shower which is pump assisted (but not a power shower).

He definitely isn't trying to fleece us as he's a guy we've known for years that only gets paid mates rates anyway so I am assuming the advice given is genuine though perhaps slightly misinformed?

But your combi supplies hot water directly to the tap and he wants to use a header tank?

Did he come on a horse?
  • Hibbleton
    Options
    But your combi supplies hot water directly to the tap and he wants to use a header tank?

Did he come on a horse?

Ha! I know, it sounds utterly bizarre. When we asked what would give the best performance in terms of powerful shower and I said mixer shower run off the mains he said no and suggested an electric shower with all this header tank stuff and a pump assist. I've researched this a lot on the internet and have not come across anything similar but he's allegedly done lots of bathrooms for people we know personally and they're all happy.

Is there any reason why a thermostatic mixer shower isn't the best way to go?
    As I understand it a lot will depend on the flow you get from the mains as a poor flow with a massive rainfall shower head will result in a dribble.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The pump electric shower with header tank are for situations where the water pressure is low or the supply is limited in some way. Unless your mains water pressure is low or the existing plumbing somehow limits flow, I don't know why he is suggesting one. I'd ask him why he is suggesting one instead of a directly mains-fed one.

Also keeping the tank would limit your use of the loftspace in future if you wanted to turn it into e.g. another room.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely go with the mains fed shower, when we installed our combi it was like having a power shower.
    Not entirely sure why you'd want the pump if the previous electric shower worked well?
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd agree with the last comment.

When I had a condenser combi fitted the power shower already in-situ was ok - though the C/H engineer couldn't understand how it worked before - such was the pipework.
    When the on screw switch stop working (the more you turned it the greater the flow) bought a new panel shower -
    http://www.betterbathrooms.com/crystal-thermostatic-shower-panel

- it is great, jets, overhead, and hand wand.

Flow is fine, temperature - 5-10 seconds before I step in.

Only, minor thing to bare in mind, flow/temperature may be compromised if a tap elsewhere is on.

I'd get a second tradesman opinion.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another consideration is that if the boiler breaks down where you have a mixer shower, you are left with no (warm) bathing options. If you have an electric shower and it breaks down, you can still take baths until it is repaired or replaced. Also electric showers are easy to replace with another of the same type when the time comes.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What is going to heat the water in the header tank?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    What is going to heat the water in the header tank?

The electric shower.

Not sure I would want a cold tank just used by a shower and nothing else to turn over the contents..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure