Is this a good deal for fibre/TV/phone upgrade & new 12 mth deal for existing client?

DEBTMONKEY1A
DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
edited 3 April 2017 at 8:36AM in TV MoneySaving
********MODS/Board Guides-re-posted from Sky haggle thread as wanted some fairly quick feedback-new UHD TV arriving soon!**********
:beer:

Hi! Cut to the chase as I waffle (!)

Sky customer 6 years. NUmerous speed issues/wifi drop-outs-thankfully nearly 95% ok now. Poor b/band speed (everything inc. new cable been tried!) of 6mps. 19 mps minimum guaranteed for fibre. I have original TV package, Sky HD+ box, 2 x free to air boxes upstairs.

Curently pay £40-pay as you talk, original + b/band unlimited.

Offered £7-50 off unlimited fibre, 33% off original TV, pay as you talk, 12 month contract, £50 off bill-which worked out monthly is £40 again-plus a new 'series 3 ' (??!) router (apparently worth £99??)that goes with the new Q Box.

BT Infinity have entertainement plus TV (very similar in channel content to original pack from Sky), unlimited fibre, talk-free at weekends, £60 install fee, £125 cash back on mastercard=£32.00 a month (option to upgrade to HD extra channels-free from 3 months-then £5 a month-1 month contract-not sure if I'd use or need it-but more ammo!) factoring all in except call costs-with 12 month contract, line rental included & you keep the box (& it's recording facility for freeview HD) afterwards.

As a new customer-with a standard Sky Q box (obviously not mine after contract ends), fibre unlimited, original tv, pay as you talk (no free weekend calls)-allowing for £75 mastercard & adding in inst. fee-£59-24 a month.

Talk Talk a touch cheaper but not keen as customer service feedback is not good.

I can cancel 2 months early for TV (£19-50 total &TV on until end May/June-not sure if 30 May or June!) & given issues with broadband this can be cancelled (can specify a date) at any time (to allow me to take another supplier if needed).

I'm sure the experienced posters are sick of this question (& am aware discount may be down to agents quota, if cancelled etc) but given the tech I'm being offered & price-worth switching???? Or pay off TV-cancelling it & see what comes up?? Happy with HD+....getting a UHD Smart TV this week (aware of limitations of broadcasting non 4K/uhd channels/streams but at 20mps Netflix UHD, compressed HEVC/H254 4K files etc are mainly what I'll be playing or You Tube 4K-checked out in shop channels in HD on this model-saw BBC1-TV is Samsung & brill picture-better than my present full HD!) & am not really interested in sports or paying for UHD films on Sky so box sets in 4K/sport/Q box (ulness anyone thinks it REALLY improves standard 1080p pictures or tv picture in general??) not a deal breaker at all.

Anyone any ideas/feedback on this??? Cancel??? Take deal? Switch to BT???? Thanks in advance. :beer:

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Difficult to understand your post .

Key has to be what services do you want first .

You say
    & given issues with broadband this can be cancelled do you have this confirmed by your ISP .
    Note as you have a BB problem be aware that its coming down the same BT line and if the fault is non Sky then you are carrying the fault forward .
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Hi! Thanks for the reply! In a nutshell....same cost for upgrade to fibre-with new router that will 'probably' eliminate the (now much smaller & infrequent) Wifi outage.

The question being ....worth seeing if they reduce down to BT levels.....£33/£34....OR do you think approx 33% off the same deal (allbeit with Q box that I don't 'really' need) for a new customer (£59 a month) -is the biggest deal I'm going to get & would thi increase IF I cancelled (allbeit with breathing space as TV on until June & can give any date for BB cut-off?).

I might try one more time.....see if I can get a TV upgrade or a £100 credit....will report back.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Customers are getting 60% off Sky TV without SkyQ, this will be a lot more helpful:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/75-off-sky-tv-for-existing-customers-only-works-when-call-specific-number-3-weeks-1741671

Check through last few pages, people seem to be getting:

60-75% off tv
    50% off line rental / BB
    £50-100 account credit
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Thanks futuristic-very interesting!

Update-after web chat-£37.60.
    • 25% off unlimited fibre/line rental-taking from £38-99 (£18.99 line rental-£20 fibre) to £30
    • 62% off original TV taken from £20 to £7.60
    • Pay as you talk phone
    Total £37-60 a month -BUT an 18 month tie in!

Explained was offered new router (the one offered with 'q' box) + £50 bill credit & 12 month contract. Did not get the girls name who offered this but gave day of call & number I called from. Said if these could be applied would sign up now. The lady needed management green light & promissed a collegue call within 3 days. Also have arranged cancellation of TV in a months time (apparently due to 'live line' issue can't set a date up for phone/bb to go off-just need to give 14 days notice????-but no penalty to leave early).

BT Infinity looking mighty appealing-big discount in the future to upgrade to UHD box, 12 month contract-keep & use box as HD freeview recorder (although Sky lets you keep box no record option).

Will update you once call received. Good deal?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can buy the BT UHD box for £60 delivered if you are taking a service from BT .
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Hi! Well....spoke to a guy this am to clarify what was meant by the 'phone line stays live' etc in my mammoth web chat (had lost will to live by then & did not understand!)-called 150 & said' cancelling sky'...overseas call centre-transfer to retentions. Explained I wanted BB/Phone cut off/canx on same date as TV (5/5). Asked the guy if any more news in tracking down new router & £50 credit call. He chatted for a mo & said he could probaby sort it out straight away (do retentions get their 'quota' of number of existing customers they can discount to a given level every am 1st thing? Web chat was at 6pm.)-all done & £10 fee for Fibre Unlimited waived. Nett result is £33 a month give or take a few pence for Original TV, unlimited Fibre, pay as you talk, 12 months on TV & 18 month contract on BB/phone....reduced as in my previous post (actually by a £1 a month further!). Obviously have 31 day 'cooling off' for this-not that I'll get better I don't think. As a new customer with standard Q box it's around £59 for same so very pleased.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    UPDATE! See comtrend power line post......via topcashback FULL BT TV pack (though keeping very heavily discounted Sky TV only as picture quality very good, will check new BT pic but don't expect it to be as good/better and Gf INSISTS on Sky as she's comfortable with the EPG, women hey! Lol), all the bits, fibre, after cash back and free MasterCard, £23ish a month!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I used to have slightly over 6Mbps with Sky (but thought it good, considering the general promise for this area), but with PlusNet am lucky to get even 5. It's usually nearer 4.

The 6 is not necessarily Sky's fault. You can check this by asking a few other providers to give a speed quote.

Our estimate, all round for ADSL is 2 to 5, with 2+ guaranteed ,so to get 6+ with Sky was a bonus. It's all down to location.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    UPDATE.

Went with BT-actually worked out at £22 a month after cashback for everything-ditching Sky I think as BT pic is better!. Also fibre/router is fab-no more wifi drop outs in house! Plus as BT fibre customers discounts on sim only thats saving me a packet!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure