Doing it on my own: bobobski's house deposit diary

Options

Comments

• bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I was about to post as to why I didn't make it on my walk this weekend, then I remembered something I read on the Weight Watchers community thing - "a bit of rain won't kill you" - so I managed a half hour walk, yay! Also, today was weigh in day and I've lost 1lb on last week, which isn't bad considering how naughty I was for the second half of the week. I also made a healthy chili con carne for the week (it's mostly vegetables) which averages out at £1.77 per portion - not bad!

I did my weekly shop under budget yesterday (for once!) - cutting back on alcohol is making a giant difference. I had to buy a light bulb for a lamp that's gone out but the man in B&Q gave me the wrong one (I took the old bulb with me - doh!) so I was going to take it back today but then thought I'll go next weekend when I do my weekly shop to save on petrol.

I looked up the bonus scheme at my new company this morning and realised it'll be really hard if not impossible to get anywhere near the bonus I could have got at my old company. Realistically, I'm looking at going from an easy £10k+ a year to under £7k and that's if I'm lucky; realistically it could be an awful lot lower (and then cut it in half because it's taxable). So I'm feeling a little down about the whole house thing today. My emotions about it have been on such a rollercoaster - some weeks I really feel like I can do this, and other weeks I feel like the whole thing is pointless because it's too hard to get the salary I need for the mortgage and the savings for the deposit as a single person before house prices run away from me. I wonder whether I should be obsessing over it as much as I am, as it makes for good inspiration, or whether I should just forget the house and focus on saving as much as possible for the next couple of years.

I did some sums yesterday and I reckon I should be able to save £13k this year, provided I don't go on holiday (again :( ) and don't have any major disasters like my car service last year. I won't change my target on the Save £12k challenge yet in case I'm really far off but I might update it later in the year if I think I'll hit my current target of £12k. It will be a slow start as I'm using January to pay for December (oops), but from February onwards - if I'm really good - it'll be smooth sailing. Fingers crossed!

In other news, with my regular savers about to mature I decided to open a BOS Vantage account yesterday, which was instant since I'm already with Halifax. So when my accounts mature, I'll have somewhere for £5k and the remainder can sit in my Tesco accounts (one is my emergency fund and the other is my "annual expenses" account) until April when I open a LISA.

I still need to work out if I can contribute both to a HtB ISA and a LISA during the first year, before I merge them. Hopefully this will be clearer once the LISA becomes available...
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I blame the weather for causing stress.Don't let it get you down.Look on the bright side, you have a job, (one that pays a bonus - holy cow I've never had one of those -- am dead envious) plus you went for a walk and you are still saving lots and planning really good ways to invest your money. Like the fab posters on this thread the right house will come along. Don't beat yourself up. You are doing fine. This time next year you will be so happy.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • bobobski
    Options
    I'm back! Last weekend was the gig, so a trip out to London, and I was knackered when I came back on Sunday...

The gig was fantabulous, but I was naughty and spent quite a lot on merch... I've also been naughty this week and ordered Domino's (again!). However, I have noticed that not drinking as much has lowered my weekly shop bill by something like £20-£30 per week - hoorah! Yes, I drank a lot of wine... But I can't remember the last time I opened a bottle at home for myself, so that's progress. And less wine means fewer cigarettes - also hoorah!

My new employer pays salaries on the last working day of the month so I'm sitting here like a little child impatiently waiting for my shiny new salary. I have done a salary calculator calculation so I know what I'm expecting after the payrise, but I want to see it "in real life"!

Some quick maths reveals that I should be saving over £700 this month, which a year ago would have been HE-UGE for me, but I'm sad it's not more! It's well below what I need to average to get the house, but I am still paying off December and the gig (which I don't regret AT ALL) and I know my savings should jump up in February. Must. Be. Better. Next. Christmas.

So, plans. Have a friend's birthday today which will be messy but cheap as it's at his house and I've already bought my drinks for BYOB. Have next week off work as I'm still very tired from all the stress over Christmas of the company going under, and we're relatively quiet so I thought why not. I need to be good in the week off and not spend money because I'm bored - from February onwards I want to be averaging £1k+ a month savings so really need to focus! I'm seeing a friend next week who's about to leave not just the country but Europe for good, heading for sunnier shores - that may scupper me as she wants to go out for dinner so I'll need to be a bit savvy in steering her towards a cheaper restaurant. And that's about it! Lots of cleaning, cooking and weekly shopping today, then party party _party_

(Weight wise - going down slowly slowly and I've lost about 6lbs since restarting the diet on 1 Jan)
  • bobobski
    Options
    A little update from me today:
    • Pay day today wooo! My new company has paid me my previous salary for weird reasons but I have it in writing that they will make up the difference next month. Even though the last couple of months have not gone according to plan financially, I still managed to save £806.71 in January, which is higher than my average for 2016 (£706.34). I've just done some maths and worked out that - if I'm good - I can save about £1,250 next month, but this includes the interest on two maturing regular savers and no council tax. I'm hoping that knowing this is possible will spur me on., although knowing me I won't quite save that amount.
    • The party was good fun, I left at 5.30am so slept in until 11-something on Sunday which isn't like me at all! I was there for about 8 hours, and did some pre-drinking, but I realised in the morning that I drank far less than I had anticipated (like, half). Yay! So not much in the way of hangover (just tiredness) and better for the waistline and wallet. And I didn't have any less fun for it!
    • The weight is coming off slowly slowly. But weirdly I've noticed more of a difference in my smoking - as anticipated, drinking a lot less means I'm smoking less too. Maybe that's why the weight isn't coming off as easily :rotfl: I remember explaining to a friend once that "nicotine is an appetite suppressant" and his response was "so is cake"...

Otherwise, I'm enjoying being in my PJs for as long as I want although I will need to shower at some point as I'm seeing a friend this evening. Since she's leaving the country she's giving me her TV and I'm torn as to whether I want to keep it or sell it - I'm not sure if selling it would be insulting? I did suggest she sells it but she couldn't be bothered, what with everything else going on. Speaking of TV, I have finally gotten round to watching The Crown. I think it has been overly hyped up, but it is very good. I'm finding the royal family interesting for once!

Trying to think how to make the last 3 days of my holiday productive (by some definition of the word). Part of me really just wants to chill on the sofa, but part of me thinks I should do some life admin. I sorted out all my standing orders (minimum pay-ins) and direct debits yesterday, to take account of having opened a BOS Vantage account, and that was the biggest thing on my to-do list (to get done by 1 Feb). I'm not sure how much I care about tidying up really. Maybe leave it until my next holiday :p
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Well done on hols and diet and partying. Good to have fun. I have just come from hospital I have put on 2kg :rotfl:Diet starts v soon! Enjoy the hols.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Hope you have done washing and hovering lol.:rotfl:
  • bobobski
    Options
    Hi everybody

Afraid no hoovering SW, I'm so lazy! But I have done several loads of laundry including the bed which I hate doing because it's so big! It's my one true luxury - a kingsize, memory foam mattress all for me!

I woke up yesterday with a stinking cold, which is very annoying so I'm feeling quite sorry for myself. The good news is you're supposed to feed a cold :) It's that level of cold where I can do things as usual, but moan and groan doing them, possibly spluttering along the way. My body doesn't seem to understand that, if it's going to get ill, it should get properly, bed-ridden ill!

Anyway, I spent yesterday at a friend's house watching excellent movies (Dirty Dancing followed by The Princess Bride) and my friend fed me lots of delicious food which was lovely, so I didn't spend anything yesterday. Today I made it to Tesco and - but for my spontaneous purchase, spent under my £60/week target. The spontaneous item was a bottle of orange juice - I tend to avoid fruit juices because they're expensive and full of sugar, but I really need the vitamins. So my shop was £60.15. I budget £70/week, so that's good :) That includes all sorts though, like make up (bought 2 primers today), deodorant (bought 5 today), toothpaste (bought 2 today) etc - "weekly shop" just means anything I buy in Tesco really. So yeh, proud of that :)

Not a lot planned for the week as I'm back at work, but next weekend I've got wedding organisation with one of my best friends who's getting married this summer, which will be lovely (and also non-spendy for me). Possibly organising a short holiday though - my friends asked if I was interested in a spontaneous trip to Amsterdam in a few weeks, to which I said yep! They're about to start trying for a baby so it's a bit of a last hurrah with them, and we're only thinking of a weekend anyway so it shouldn't be too expensive. I have money tucked away for this kind of thing, although some of that will be going on stuff for my friend's wedding this summer (presents, new dress etc).

Anyway, sorry for babbling on - I think I'm slightly delirious with this cold. I'm off to do a little reading around the forums then sort out the house - it is far too much of a tip given all the time I had off this week, and I have my landlord inspection this week!
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Be careful of your cold. Lots of lemsip and rest. I had a cold and now I have been off work for over 4 weeks and talk like bloody Donald Duck when I can talk!!!!! Take it easy and well done about wedding planning.

I babble all the time you don't you are smart.
  • bobobski
    Options
    Aww thank you SW, I will be careful. I may impose a bobobski-only zone at work to keep everybody healthy, and also to keep everyone I don't like away from me ;) Sorry to hear yours is still dragging on though, that's pants! :(
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Hi bobobski just reading your thread and had to laugh at the fitness equipment comments ! I have a treadmill which is covered in boxes of paperwork waiting to be sorted & shredded :o Think I will feel at home here :D

I'm glad things worked out with your job & I am in awe of your savings !!

Lots of illness around at the moment so as savingwannabe says take care of yourself. Everyone on my team has been ill since Christmas and now its my turn. Mine is sore throat & aching chest but I am more worried about my sore neck as I had a partial thyroid removal in October and it's feeling really sore right now. Think I may be off to see the Doc in morning. Sciatica playing up since Thursday too so am feeling a little sorry for myself :o

Have a good week
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure