Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Staging Date in August

Dear All,

My partner's companies Staging Date is in August. The company has not mentioned Auto-enrolment at all with the employees.

Does this Staging Date mean the first pension deductions start in August? My partner is concerned they have stuck their head in the sand and this worries her.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Johnhowell wrote: »
    Dear All,

My partner's companies Staging Date is in August. The company has not mentioned Auto-enrolment at all with the employees.

Does this Staging Date mean the first pension deductions start in August? My partner is concerned they have stuck their head in the sand and this worries her.

Thanks,
    John

She may find a deduction in her August pay packet, or the employer could be postponing by up to three months. Could she not just ask her HR manager?

Many smaller employers may well not communicate with employees until after their staging date.

The employer is not legally obliged to communicate with the staff until six weeks after their staging date.

http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/en/employers/duties-checker/outcomes/i-am-an-employer-who-has-to-provide-a-pension/write-to-your-staff.aspx
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Johnhowell
    Johnhowell Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 July 2016 at 7:09PM
    HappyHarry,

Thank you for your reply.

So the company can deduct monies before communicating with their staff?
    She has asked about it since last year. The response is blank stares!

John
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    obviously no idea with this employer, but i won'tbe surprised if there's a vast amount of small employers out there that are trying to ignore this & hope it will go away, it won't!

as an employer, i've just spent the last few hours setting up our scheme with Nest & trying to comply with the letter that the pension regulator sent us last, which appears to have incorrect dates/info stated on it, what a surprise!

i've got a reasonable understanding, or thought i did, of what's required but neither the Nest site or regulator site are particularly user friendly or easy to follow what on earth you're supposed to be doing. Nest kept bouncing me off the application process as it didn't like my browser (45 mins of live help to come to this conclusion) & pension site kept going around in circles after i'd logged in & wanted to start our 'declaration of compliance', which i've just been told after phoning them that isn't actually required until after our staging date. the letter received from the regulator specifically said i had to do this compliance by 1st Aug, but this isn't the case.

talk about trying to make everything as hard as possible to actually comply...

if they've got a 1st Aug staging date (if they haven't delayed that with the regulator, i don't know how long you can delay for), then they should have their employees enrolled online with their pension provider within 6 weeks of staging date. with nest, once enrolled, employees will receive a welcome pack within 3-5 working days advising all scheme details, level of contribution & opt-out info. employees will then have 3 working days & 1 calendar month from being enrolled to choose a level of contribution or opt-out, then deductions from pay will start. i'd guess that other pension providers would do similar.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,328 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If she has heard nothing within six weeks of the staging date she could ring TPAS for advice.

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/
  • Johnhowell
    Johnhowell Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Staging Date is 1 August 2016.

News today. The employer has stated that "someone" will be coming during August to talk to the employees about auto-enrolment...

Thanks,
    John
  • Update.
    Letter arrived on Friday 4 November 2016. All the staff have be enrolled with NEST as of 2 November 2016.

No one came during August to talk to the staff.

Once my partner can log into the website, will she be able to change the percentage she wishes to be deducted over the age-dependant(?) minimum?

Cheers,
    John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family